Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What major city do you no DESIRE to visit.Why would I go there?
Indianapolis 27 14.52%
Dallas 7 3.76%
Nashville 5 2.69%
Tampa 3 1.61%
Houston 19 10.22%
Charlotte 19 10.22%
Phoenix AZ 22 11.83%
San Antonio 0 0%
Oklahoma City 51 27.42%
Baltimore 5 2.69%
Atlanta 14 7.53%
Portland OR 4 2.15%
Los Angeles 6 3.23%
Philadelphia 4 2.15%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 03:11 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I'd like to see everywhere at least once. If I'm not having fun, then whatever...it's all apart of the experience.

I'm surprised people have mentioned Detroit as a place they'd never want to go. I mean, it was formerly one of the most powerful cities in the country. I'd definitely want to see it if for no other reason than to see the skeleton of a formerly amazing city. Where else can you get such an experience?

Hell I'd even go to Phoenix. Worse comes to worst, I'll go ride out into the desert and pretend I'm in Red Dead Redemption.
Hahaha.lol It's always fun to make-believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Wow - I assumed people on a GENERAL US board are here because they are interested in..well...the US. To say you'd never want to visit another city is close minded, ignorant and really is against what this entire board is about.

That being said, in my 3 years here, it doesn't surprise me - some posters' only motivation is to tear other places down.

Obviously my answer is NONE. Out of the cities listed though, the only one I haven't been to is Nashville and I'd love to go there someday.
So true. I think the whole "International" thing is slightly overrated. There are SOOO many interesting places here in the US to visit that are right in front of people's eyes. It AMAZES me how ignorant we are of our own country, and the fascination and exoticism people fawn over for other countries. Don't get me wrong, I wanna travel the world also, I'd LOVE to see the futuristic cities of far-east Asia. But c'mon, to think there aren't that many places in the US that are worthy of one's travels is ridiculous. Especially for a country as MASSIVE in land area and as geographically AND as culturally diverse as we are. If you want say a Mediterranean climate, one can go to California. NYC/Boston/Philly=(Northern Europe), Cali=(Equals Southern Europe), Miami=(Caribbean).

Old 05-25-2010, 04:41 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Portland

Why would I go there when I could go to Seattle or San Francisco instead?

Old 05-25-2010, 04:42 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
So true. I think the whole "International" thing is slightly overrated. There are SOOO many interesting places here in the US to visit that are right in front of people's eyes. It AMAZES me how ignorant we are of our own country, and the fascination and exoticism people fawn over for other countries. Don't get me wrong, I wanna travel the world also, I'd LOVE to see the futuristic cities of far-east Asia. But c'mon, to think there aren't that many places in the US that are worthy of one's travels is ridiculous. Especially for a country as MASSIVE in land area and as geographically AND as culturally diverse as we are. If you want say a Mediterranean climate, one can go to California. NYC/Boston/Philly=(Northern Europe), Cali=(Equals Southern Europe), Miami=(Caribbean).
Excellent post!

Old 05-25-2010, 04:43 PM

489 posts, read 1,324,734 times
I would go to any of the places mentioned...I can't understand why anyone would eliminate entire regions from places they would visit as some of the posters have stated

Old 05-25-2010, 05:06 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
If you want say a Mediterranean climate, one can go to California. NYC/Boston/Philly=(Northern Europe), Cali=(Equals Southern Europe), Miami=(Caribbean).
LOL Polo, you haven't been to very much of this country. Those areas do NOT look like the real thing. Do you really think Cali looks like those Santorini pictures I posted? This is the attitude that many Americans have that I CANNOT stand. The attitude of "We can see something just as nice here in the US that compares." Travel a little, people....

Old 05-25-2010, 05:10 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,630,851 times
Quote:
There are a ton of interesting places in the US, and I suggest that people explore them. But it wasn't until I traveled to the world that I really learned who I was, kind of a self-realization period. Traveling abroad cannot be explained in words. Climate has little to nothing to do with traveling abroad. It's learning and experiencing how other cultures live, eat, talk, interact, etc.. hard to explain in words.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
LOL Polo, you haven't been to very much of this country. Those areas do NOT look like the real thing. Do you really think Cali looks like those Santorini pictures I posted? This is the attitude that many Americans have that I CANNOT stand. The attitude of "We can see something just as nice here in the US that compares." Travel a little, people....
"The ugly American" is what I'm assuming you're talking about. I'm not necesarily equating these places to those places overseas, what I meant is and what I should've said is, sometimes Americans are a little to hard on our country, and ASSUME we've seen everything in this MASSIVE country, and that there is NOTHING else of interest that we can possibly see. Some of these people haven't even been WEST of the Mississippi yet, and ASSUME they're is nothing of interest on the other side of a country SO large as the US. As I've stated earlier, I'd love to travel to the WELL-AHEAD cities of far-east Asia(Tokyo, Hong Kong, etc). Also I'd love to see Italy, Spain, and London.

Last edited by polo89; 05-25-2010 at 06:52 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
There are a ton of interesting places in the US, and I suggest that people explore them. But it wasn't until I traveled to the world that I really learned who I was, kind of a self-realization period. Traveling abroad cannot be explained in words. Climate has little to nothing to do with traveling abroad. It's learning and experiencing how other cultures live, eat, talk, interact, etc.. hard to explain in words.
I guess my attitude is the way it is, because I'm Haitian, so I was already BORN with a multi-cultural upbringing, as apposed to other Americans who were raised by American-born parents and were raised in an American-type upbringing so they're SUPER-fascinated with things OTHER than America to the point of obsession.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:07 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,561 times
Oklahoma City, I DO NOT want to visit this city......EVER!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City