Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What major city do you no DESIRE to visit.Why would I go there?
Indianapolis 27 14.52%
Dallas 7 3.76%
Nashville 5 2.69%
Tampa 3 1.61%
Houston 19 10.22%
Charlotte 19 10.22%
Phoenix AZ 22 11.83%
San Antonio 0 0%
Oklahoma City 51 27.42%
Baltimore 5 2.69%
Atlanta 14 7.53%
Portland OR 4 2.15%
Los Angeles 6 3.23%
Philadelphia 4 2.15%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 08:58 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Just using it as an example, because as you know "I've been places you've never heard of"
LOL!

A couple of quick spins through 2 or 3 European countries hardly qualifies as "well traveled" in the real world.

When you've actually traveled to California, perhaps you'll understand why so many compare portions of it to the Mediterranean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 09:27 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
LOL!

A couple of quick spins through 2 or 3 European countries hardly qualifies as "well traveled" in the real world.

I just said 'I have been places you've never heard of' because you have stated it in the past to many posters.

Anyway, give me another trip to Santorini or a tour through Ireland, over 80% of this country.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Neither is going to the beach in Central America...

Just playing your little game so you can see how silly it sounds to say "I have been to places you've never heard of"
When you've been in the Travel Industry for 20+ years as I have, then perhaps you too can make that claim.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
When you've been in the Travel Industry for 20+ years as I have, then perhaps you too can make that claim.

Just because you're in the travel industry, doesn't mean you're well-traveled. Try again. Also, with this economy and with people not working, many dont have the money to spend on traveling. I'm grateful I do

Old 05-26-2010, 09:33 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
There is no city that I would swear I'd never visit. A few years ago my boyfriend surprised me for my birthday with plane tickets to Cleveland. Really? Cleveland? Why would I want to go there? But we went, and I had a great time. I loved the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The lakefront area was really nice and we found lots of good places to eat and drink.

I enjoy exploring new places. I would guess any of the cities on your list would have their own charms and would be worth visiting. I know from first hand experience that Baltimore, Atlanta, Dallas, Tampa and Philadelphia are worth a visit.
I agree.I would go anywhere.Just for the experience.But if I just could not make them al due to monetary constraints or time and had to narrow it down,my list would look like this:
Indianapolis
Omaha
Charleston West Virginia
Jackson MS
Gary

Old 05-26-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I'd go anywhere given the opportunity, but there are some places that just don't interest me. These are places that I wouldn't just get up and go to just to go.
This what I meant by posing the question.I should have worded it differently.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Just because you're in the travel industry, doesn't mean you're well-traveled. Try again. Also, with this economy and with people not working, many dont have the money to spend on traveling. I'm grateful I do
Priceless. Some things never change.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Exactly...I would go anywhere in Europe. Nowhere in this country can compare to there. That's why I'm saying most of this country doesn't interest me. There are a few places I want to go in the US, but for the most part, I'm content with how much I've traveled the country. I'm spending the next few years of my life traveling outside the US.
So a place like Sante Fe,Savannah/Charleston,San Francisco,etc...does not interest you at all?How much have you traveled in the U.S.Where are your favorite places in the U.S.?

Old 05-26-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
So a place like Sante Fe,Savannah/Charleston,San Francisco,etc...does not interest you at all?How much have you traveled in the U.S.Where are your favorite places in the U.S.?

Only places I wanna go to in the US are San Francisco and Seattle. I want to go to Las Vegas again though.

I just don't see the big deal in wanting to spend your money traveling outside the country than to see small cities in the US where after a day you've seen the whole "city".

Favorite places are Maine (went to college there) and Nevada.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:53 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
It might not mean he's well traveled, but I bet it means he knows a thing or two about geography.

I just returned from China and South Korea two days ago. Im overseas 4-6 times a year for my job and its taught me a thing or two. That is NEVER assume anything about any place until you have been there. For example, the people in Beijing are some of the nicest of any major city Ive ever been to. I never would have expected that there. Conversely, there are parts of Japan that are extremely slow. With Tokyo in mind, you wouldnt expect that there. Sao Paulo, Brazil is alive with Asian (particularly Japanese) culture. You wouldnt expect that in South America. I could go on and on.

North Korea was the real eye-opener of all my travels. My guide was making claims that I knew were absolutely stupid, yet I had to keep a straight face. He told me that Kim Il Sung invented the desk, that when Kim Il Sung died, 1 million cranes carried him to heaven, etc. I also learned that making eye contact with a foreigner for too long is punishable by years in a labor camp. At schools, they teach kids that they must not rest until all Americans are dead and South Korea is no more. The whole country is a facade based on showmanship. Yet, even with all of this said, I dont regret my trip at all. I had to go anyway for work to see if the consulate would allow some of my clients in for work.

If you havent been a place, the truth is, you know nothing about it. You can tell yourself you know about it, but you dont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City