Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Charlotte VS Houston:which would you rather live in and why?
Houston Texas 155 61.02%
Charlotte 99 38.98%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 07:16 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times

Advertisements

This is a terrible comparison to begin with. Charlotte is a very nice city, but comparing it to a metro of 4 million more people is no fair. Compare it to Austin or Nashville or San Antonio.

If Houston was located in California or on the east coast this poll wouldn't even be nearly as close as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 08:12 AM

78 posts, read 100,881 times
^ I agree. The "where would you rather live" question may slightly balance it because some people may prefer a smaller city. But it's quite obvious that in terms of general amenities, Charlotte and Houston are not on the same playing field. Considering that most people that post here are likely urban enthusiasts to begin with, the larger city with more things to do is usually going to be the winner.

Houston is clearly the more legitimate and global city in virtually every category. I'm looking forward to watching them develop their core over the next couple decades along with their rail infrastructure as I can't see the city proper expanding any further outward. It's time for Houston to grow "up", not "out". Hopefully Charlotte can continue a similar trend, albeit on a smaller scale.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:01 AM

996 posts, read 1,896,862 times
Charlotte for me. Hometown bias :P

Old 05-17-2019, 11:49 PM

195 posts, read 195,307 times
I prefer Charlotte to Houston. Though it's close.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:04 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Not a bias at all, but Charlotte by a mile. Dallas would be closer, Austin would be nearly a tie.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:06 AM

3,158 posts, read 2,209,438 times
The volume and quality of urban amenities in Charlotte has increased substantially since this thread was created in 2010. While the same is likely true of Houston, I'm not convinced it offers much that is missing in Charlotte. It's difficult for me to ignore Charlotte's rolling terrain, the more visually pleasant and less cluttered built environment, lower susceptibility to severe weather of tropical origin, and better proximity to mountains as well as beaches with attractive sand and water.

Houston was performing fairly well economically relative to other metro areas during the Great Recession a decade ago, but more recent job growth has been less impressive. It has arguably the nation's largest presence of a highly lucrative but volatile industry, oil & gas. Charlotte has a very different industry mix, and while best known for its banking and financial sector, is very well rounded and serves as the major business hub of both Carolinas - which together have close to 15 million residents. Their economy tends to track with national cycles more closely than is true of Houston.

While both areas are growing quickly, Houston tends to be driven more by natural increase as a result of its unusually young demographics, as well as foreign immigration. Charlotte's international population is expanding but definitely not at Houston's level. When it comes to net domestic migration however, particularly from virtually anywhere east of the Mississippi River, Charlotte is a much more popular destination. Charlotte's domestic in-migrants include people of all different ethnic backgrounds and economic status, but college educated young adults are especially well represented.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:15 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Charlotte. I prefer life above water.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:25 AM

1,168 posts, read 776,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
The volume and quality of urban amenities in Charlotte has increased substantially since this thread was created in 2010. While the same is likely true of Houston, I'm not convinced it offers much that is missing in Charlotte. It's difficult for me to ignore Charlotte's rolling terrain, the more visually pleasant and less cluttered built environment, lower susceptibility to severe weather of tropical origin, and better proximity to mountains as well as beaches with attractive sand and water.
I can easily see why anyone would prefer Charlotte, but to suggest that its amenities are more or less on par with a city more than three times its size. That's just disingenuous. If I were to say the same thing about Houston compared to New York, no one here would let me get away with that.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:34 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I can easily see why anyone would prefer Charlotte, but to suggest that its amenities are more or less on par with a city more than three times its size. That's just disingenuous. If I were to say the same thing about Houston compared to New York, no one here would let me get away with that.

Comparing Charlotte to Houston in terms of daily amenities is like comparing Philadelphia to New York for daily amenities. Not Houston to New York.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:42 AM

1,168 posts, read 776,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Comparing Charlotte to Houston in terms of daily amenities is like comparing Philadelphia to New York for daily amenities. Not Houston to New York.
I wasn't suggesting that both comparisons were completely analogous. Only pointing out that Charlotte cannot fairly compete with a city 3x its size just as Houston cannot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City