Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Charlotte VS Houston:which would you rather live in and why?
Houston Texas 155 61.02%
Charlotte 99 38.98%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 02:28 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
I am not not a Houston homer at all. You can ask the Houston Homies. I lived in Charlotte for around 4 years and now 5 in Houston. Almost everything about Houston is better. Charlotte is prettier and cleaner. The people are friendlier. That is about it. It is boring. People from Charlotte always say it's you, not Charlotte. No. It is Charlotte. Public schools are atrocious. The food is boring. Dive bars? Charlotte? Hmmm. I never saw those. Charlotte is a button your top.button type of town mixed with Nascar rednecks, and a bunch of ghetto parts of town. Houston had its issues for sure, but it is a hell of a lot better than Charlotte.
Unless you need the nightlife of a city like NOLA, Vegas, Miami, or Atlanta, it's hard for me to comprehend the whole "boring" complaint.

Public schools are definitely a sore spot at the moment. But I've never heard food called "boring." That's different.

"NASCAR rednecks" are not in Charlotte proper, but in some of the outlying, more rural areas. That can be said for just about any major city in the South, though.

Now you're waaaaaayyyyy off about it having "a bunch of ghetto parts of town." That's just completely inaccurate. And the 'hoods Charlotte does have are pristine compared to those of some other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 02:41 PM

580 posts, read 1,181,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Charlotte has a few upscale Miami-style nightclubs with strict dress codes, several lounge bars, huge gentleman's clubs, a ton of neighborhood dive bars, great LGBT nightlife if that's your thing, and several 24-hour diners and bakeries for after last call. If he found Charlotte a "total bore" from just a few days there, its him, not Charlotte.

Now I can definitely understand somebody needing stimulation 24/7/365 not wanting to live in Charlotte, but the city offers enough anybody should be able to make do there for a weekend or more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Unless you need the nightlife of a city like NOLA, Vegas, Miami, or Atlanta, it's hard for me to comprehend the whole "boring" complaint.

Public schools are definitely a sore spot at the moment. But I've never heard food called "boring." That's different.

"NASCAR rednecks" are not in Charlotte proper, but in some of the outlying, more rural areas. That can be said for just about any major city in the South, though.

Now you're waaaaaayyyyy off about it having "a bunch of ghetto parts of town." That's just completely inaccurate. And the 'hoods Charlotte does have are pristine compared to those of some other cities.
What is so hard for the two of you to understand people find Charlotte boring? I lived in four metros larger than Charlotte, I found it to be boring. For anyone coming from a large urban area, Charlotte is more than likely going to be boring. Not everyone was raised in a small metro under a million or some random Podunk town in NC and then moves to Charlotte to think its the big time. I'm not trying to be rude, but I find it hard to think anyone could get excited over living in Charlotte, its average at absolute best for amenities.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:46 PM

209 posts, read 462,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
What is so hard for the two of you to understand people find Charlotte boring? I lived in four metros larger than Charlotte, I found it to be boring. For anyone coming from a large urban area, Charlotte is more than likely going to be boring. Not everyone was raised in a small metro under a million or some random Podunk town in NC and then moves to Charlotte to think its the big time. I'm not trying to be rude, but I find it hard to think anyone could get excited over living in Charlotte, its average at absolute best.
I don't care whether you think Charlotte is boring or not. But when you say it's boring for reasons that are simply not true and tell people that are looking to move her it's boring just because you found it boring is just plain ignorant.

I just moved here from Atlanta, and do not find it boring whatsoever.

You've shown everyone you aren't very fond of the city. We get that. Calm down.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
What is so hard for the two of you to understand people find Charlotte boring? I lived in four metros larger than Charlotte, I found it to be boring. For anyone coming from a large urban area, Charlotte is more than likely going to be boring. Not everyone was raised in a small metro under a million or some random Podunk town in NC and then moves to Charlotte to think its the big time. I'm not trying to be rude, but I find it hard to think anyone could get excited over living in Charlotte, its average at absolute best for amenities.
That's just mind-boggling to me, even if you're coming from a very large city like NYC or Chicago. I understand it offering less and having less to do compared to such cities, but I'm not sure how that translates to boring--unless you're a niche person and only enjoy a city that has a lot of one particular thing and you disregard practically everything else (e.g., nightlife, recreation, gay culture, etc.).

Another thing I've found living in different size cities is that a lot depends on your social circle. I was pretty bored when I first moved here to the Atlanta area, and it wasn't because the city was boring; I just didn't have any friends here anymore. In Charlotte, I had several friends and was very familiar with the local spots, different events, etc. so I was much more occupied. Sometimes it's the case that a place isn't boring, but you're just bored. There's a difference.

And maybe it's also just me, since I'm the type of person who can find things to like about almost any sizable city out there.

And I disagree with you that Charlotte will likely be boring for anyone coming from a large urban area. The place is filled with transplants from larger metros who quite enjoy the place--just as there are plenty of New Yorkers here in Atlanta who love it.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia2012 View Post
I don't care whether you think Charlotte is boring or not. But when you say it's boring for reasons that are simply not true and tell people that are looking to move her it's boring just because you found it boring is just plain ignorant.

I just moved here from Atlanta, and do not find it boring whatsoever.

You've shown everyone you aren't very fond of the city. We get that. Calm down.
You are still missing the point. If I find something boring its my opinion, so who are you to say its true or untrue. In YOUR opinion Charlotte is not boring, but in MY opinion it is and I stand by it. Why is it so hard for you to accept someone else's opinion?

And I moved to Charlotte after living in Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix, New York and Philadelphia...... And it was the worst place I have lived. Phoenix made Charlotte look boring lol.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:14 PM

209 posts, read 462,015 times
Quote:
You are still missing the point. If I find something boring its my opinion, so who are you to say its true or untrue. In YOUR opinion Charlotte is not boring, but in MY opinion it is and I stand by it. Why is it so hard for you to accept someone else's opinion?

And I moved to Charlotte after living in Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix, New York and Philadelphia...... And it was the worst place I have lived. Phoenix made Charlotte look boring lol.
I did not say having the opinion of Charlotte being boring was wrong. But until you can somehow define "boring" and what made it that way, you shouldn't be flat out saying "Charlotte is boring."

It's personal preference.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-15-2013 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: TOS violation

Old 03-15-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's just mind-boggling to me, even if you're coming from a very large city like NYC or Chicago. I understand it offering less and having less to do compared to such cities, but I'm not sure how that translates to boring--unless you're a niche person and only enjoy a city that has a lot of one particular thing and you disregard practically everything else (e.g., nightlife, recreation, gay culture, etc.).

Another thing I've found living in different size cities is that a lot depends on your social circle. I was pretty bored when I first moved here to the Atlanta area, and it wasn't because the city was boring; I just didn't have any friends here anymore. In Charlotte, I had several friends and was very familiar with the local spots, different events, etc. so I was much more occupied. Sometimes it's the case that a place isn't boring, but you're just bored. There's a difference.

And maybe it's also just me, since I'm the type of person who can find things to like about almost any sizable city out there.

And I disagree with you that Charlotte will likely be boring for anyone coming from a large urban area. The place is filled with transplants from larger metros who quite enjoy the place--just as there are plenty of New Yorkers here in Atlanta who love it.
You are seeing things one sided. You are from Charleston, which is a metro of about 800,000, correct? Imagine growing up in a metro of say 8 million like the Bay Area and then coming to Charlotte. Yeah it's going to be boring, unless that person likes smaller areas (which many do)

I understand where you are coming from with transplants liking Atlanta but ATL is quite larger than Charlotte.... More than double the size actually. Also, I have family from north jersey who moved to Charlotte. My cousin and her husband in their 40's love it because of the warm weather and low col, but their children can't stand the area because its so small. Look, bottom line is it depends on the person, I can't live in anything less than the top 11 metros and the cut off point is 6 million at Atlanta for me. Everyone is different but I think you and Georgia2012 need to do a better job of respecting others opinions for thinking Charlotte is too small or boring because we all like different things.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:35 PM

Lol you don't want to ask me why Charlotte falls short or ask me what they don't have. I can fill up a whole page and write a short story essay as to what I don't like about the place.

How about this, lets do this the more productive way and let me ask you what they do have.....

Oh and don't list average stuff that any metro with average size had like a nba/nfl team or a Carowinds....list something unique

Old 03-15-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
You are seeing things one sided. You are from Charleston, which is a metro of about 800,000, correct? Imagine growing up in a metro of say 8 million like the Bay Area and then coming to Charlotte. Yeah it's going to be boring, unless that person likes smaller areas (which many do)
I never said I was from Charleston. Even so, people move there all the time from larger places and quite enjoy themselves.

Quote:
I understand where you are coming from with transplants liking Atlanta but ATL is quite larger than Charlotte.... More than double the size actually.
My point was that it's still a huge difference in size, so you can't really make a blanket assertion that most people coming from larger metros will dislike significantly smaller ones.

Quote:
Also, I have family from north jersey who moved to Charlotte. My cousin and her husband in their 40's love it because of the warm weather and low col, but their children can't stand the area because its so small. Look, bottom line is it depends on the person, I can't live in anything less than the top 11 metros and the cut off point is 6 million at Atlanta for me. Everyone is different but I think you and Georgia2012 need to do a better job of respecting others opinions for thinking Charlotte is too small or boring because we all like different things.
I'm not disrespecting your opinion at all, but it's just a little dumbfounding without any context. But it is what it is. I just think some people haven't truly explored all that the city offers or didn't develop a social circle that allowed them to enjoy the city more. And some people have, but it still wasn't their cup of tea. Different strokes for different folks.

And you said in your earlier post that "Phoenix made Charlotte look boring." Was that supposed to be some sort of slam? Phoenix is twice the size of Charlotte and its desert surroundings provides amenities that Charlotte lacks due to geography (i.e., golfing, spas/resorts, etc.). It's only natural that Phoenix would provide more to do than Charlotte, so I'm not sure if I get that criticism.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonguy83 View Post
Charlotte's economy has failed while Houston is booming.
How has Charlotte's economy "failed"? Struggling, sure; failing, not in the least.

Quote:
Charlotte is so pathetic they can't even get a MLB or NHL team
It has an NFL and NBA team. Two major league sports teams is appropriate for its size.

Quote:
the shopping resembles a city smaller. Orlando is the same size and it crushes Charlotte for shopping.
That's mainly because Orlando is a major tourist hot spot. Otherwise, retail options in Charlotte are about what should be expected for its size.

Quote:
Charlotte is the worst city in their tier, they need to worry about beating San Diego and Pittsburgh before than take on a metro more than double their size. And not to mention its in the worse area in this country (the deep south).
North Carolina is not a Deep South state. Try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City