Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 07:13 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,404,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
It already resembles Denver and Phoenix is already bigger.
Maybe from aerial perspective, on surface streets Denver feels more urban to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 06:11 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey joe-joe View Post
I live in Toronto. In 20 years it will resemble New York City.

Yeah I just went there.
Not even in 100 years.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:42 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Downtown Bellevue seems like a smaller version of downtown Seattle.

With all the construction in downtown Seattle, it has reminded me of Manhattan. But yes, Chicago seems like an apt comparison.
You wish.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:24 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,933 times
Quote:
Downtown Bellevue seems like a smaller version of downtown Seattle.

With all the construction in downtown Seattle, it has reminded me of Manhattan. But yes, Chicago seems like an apt comparison.
No idea how Seattle or Bellevue resemble either NYC or Chicago at all... Have you ever actually been to NYC? Central Park alone is bigger in land area than Downtown Seattle.

Last edited by GatsbyGatz; 05-27-2015 at 08:37 AM..

Old 05-27-2015, 11:14 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
No idea how Seattle or Bellevue resemble either NYC or Chicago at all... Have you ever actually been to NYC? Central Park alone is bigger in land area than Downtown Seattle.
I have visited Manhattan as a tourist. I have also lived in San Francisco. These two places keep being listed as being among the most urbane places in the United States, and I use them as standards of urbanity.

I am certainly aware that NYC has a much larger population than the Seattle area, and that Manhattan is Super Urban.

Please note the word "resemble" in the title of the thread. Downtown Seattle is beginning to resemble in form, if not scale, Chicago and NYC-taking an urban area and adding high rise buildings.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 05-27-2015 at 11:23 AM..

Old 05-27-2015, 01:17 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,933 times
Quote:
I have visited Manhattan as a tourist. I have also lived in San Francisco. These two places keep being listed as being among the most urbane places in the United States, and I use them as standards of urbanity.

I am certainly aware that NYC has a much larger population than the Seattle area, and that Manhattan is Super Urban.

Please note the word "resemble" in the title of the thread. Downtown Seattle is beginning to resemble in form, if not scale, Chicago and NYC-taking an urban area and adding high rise buildings.
So you think that any city that is constructing high rise buildings resembles NYC/Chicago? NYC does not have the only claim on high rise buildings, you know. If that's your base of comparison, then Seattle is beginning to resemble any city with tall buildings in your opinion.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:21 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,642,248 times
In 20 years? LA could be a Tokyo or Sao Paolo...IF the NIMBY groups would just let it happen. So much Chinese and Korean money is flooding in right now and paying for new highrises. But the problem is that most of that development is being constrained to downtown because NIMBY groups have so much influence and power in other neighborhoods. Hollywood could be far taller and denser than it is if not for neighborhood groups with outsized influence worried about traffic and losing their views, misusing CEQA to get projects shut down before they begin.

But whatever...at least i own property downtown. The rest of LA's loss is downtown's gain, and (selfishly) my personal gain in terms of property values.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:58 PM

DistrictDirt, could a portion of LA come to resemble Tokyo or Sao Paolo?

Old 05-27-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
So you think that any city that is constructing high rise buildings resembles NYC/Chicago? NYC does not have the only claim on high rise buildings, you know. If that's your base of comparison, then Seattle is beginning to resemble any city with tall buildings in your opinion.
No, a city in which high rises are being added to an area that is already urban.

There is this depressing description I have seen-where downtown is a cluster of high rises with little street life...and becomes a ghost town at the end of the work day.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:27 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Seattle is a more urban version of Vancouver and Portland.

Atlanta will resemble nothing but itself. There's no city currently in this country bigger than Atlanta that it will resemble. That can be a good or bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City