Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:23 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Covert racism? Seriously? Like there are blacks clamoring to move to Minnesota or Oregon but are stopped by a vast white conspiracy? Totally false. If anything, sadly, the culture and outlook of many blacks precludes them from wanting to live in those parts of the country.
Looks like someone struck a nerve.

And what kind of culture and outlook is that?

And you utter a lot of the same types of falsehoods about the south.

Last edited by UTHORNS96; 06-01-2010 at 12:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 01:48 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
One of my favorite rappers (black) lives in Austin, and two other rappers I really like (both black) live in Minneapolis, so I dont imagine they're all that bad.
What rapper is that? I used to live in Austin also. And I'm black. Austin is AWESOME.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
It seem like every two weeks there's a thread very similar to this that pops up on the Austin board.

I understand the concern, but Austin really isn't an anti-black town. Every black person I've talked from Austin or has lived in Austin has said they really like the town and the people are very friendly. The only complaint I've ever heard from blacks who have either lived in or visited Austin is that there's just not a lot of black people, which is understandable, BUT that doesn't mean it's an "anti-black" racist town.

Honestly, I always thought Austin was a bit more diverse then people give it credit for. The city still has a very large Latino community and a sizable Asian community, not to mention, UT brings in quite a diverse student body as well. Austin's only like 63% white so it's not like Boise, Idaho or anything.
Haha, I used to hear that same complaint. I even said that a few times myself. I knew alot of blacks who wanted to move to Houston. Houston always seemed like the destination for most blacks who wanted to move out of Austin. But alot of blakcs also love it there. So I agree, it really isn't "anti-black".

Old 06-01-2010, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
I'm not sure what you guys are trying to say about Austin, but that city has a terrible reputation among African-Americans. It has very few black professionals, and the ones who live there are dying to leave. The problem has been addressed by the city for years now...

"...Different races picked different cities...Black Generation Xers flocked to Atlanta, Washington and Dallas. At the same time, the proportion of black Xers fell in Austin..."

Link 1:Austin news, sports, weather, Longhorns, business | Statesman.com

Link 2: Austin news, sports, weather, Longhorns, business | Statesman.com (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/04/03/0403sixthstreet.html - broken link)

Link 3: Quality of Life for Blacks in Austin: Going Beyond Midtown Austin News - AustinChronicle.com

Link 4: Austin news, sports, weather, Longhorns, business | Statesman.com (http://www.statesman.com/specialreports/content/specialreports/citiesofideas/genx/1207genx.html - broken link)
Those are the ones who have lived there all there life, and just want a change of scenary. Austin's black community(epecially Haitians, and Nigerians, and other African and Caribbean nations) are growing. Don't beleive everything in those magazines.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:15 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Those are the ones who have lived there all there life, and just want a change of scenary. Austin's black community(epecially Haitians, and Nigerians, and other African and Caribbean nations) are growing. Don't beleive everything in those magazines.
I really love how Austin is changing. If you look at the pictures in the Austin/Sacramento thread it's not just the city scape and skyline that's changing but the lifestyle and diversity too.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I read and re-read this article, and never did figure out what this guy's point was--""Why is it that progressivism in smaller metros is so often associated with low numbers of African Americans? Can you have a progressive city properly so-called with only a disproportionate handful of African Americans in it? In addition, why has no one called these cities on it?""

What's all that about? Is he trying to say a city can't be considered "progressive" unless it has some certain proportion of black citizens? And I don't get why he's focusing on race. I think Americans discovered decades ago, the most prominent divides in our country are class, not race. It's not the 60s any more.
Not really, because even some of the poorest whites, still have a hatred and will not be willing to interact on a day to day basis with some of the poorest(or richest) blacks. And vice versa. Race will ALWAYS(and has always been), the biggest social divide between people in this country and in MOST countries on this planet(if not every).

Old 06-01-2010, 06:14 AM

965 posts, read 1,885,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Looks like someone struck a nerve.

And what kind of culture and outlook is that?

And you utter a lot of the same types of falsehoods about the south.
Flyingwriter is notorious and well known on this board for his issues of black self hatred. His posts make Uncle Ruckus look like Malcolm X.

He's bitter about his experiences in the South because he was in for a rude awakening and realized that down there, regardless of how bad he talks about other black folks in order to make himself look better, the white folks down there let him know that he was no different or any better. He got his "Negro wake-up call" and couldn't take it.

I've been accused of the same thing in my life, but that's usually from noobs who don't realize that I hate pretty much everyone.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:06 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I think "anti-black" or even "anti-minority" may not be the best way to talk about this issue.

I see the article as talking more about how these so-called "progressive" cities may not be as progressive as they think (and I'd like to throw Boston into this mix). The article seems to declare that these cities as elitist, heavily-white enclaves. The cities that are often maligned around the nation (think Atlana, Dallas, Houston) are actually more progressive since they are able to channel true diversity into success and continue to thrive--and they have a bright future ahead of them.

If we read the article closely, you'll see that it becomes very positive about truly diverse cities. And--the article seems to say that it's not hard to be so-called "progressive" when everyone looks like you. The true test of progressivism is happening in Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, etc.

Also...I love how the article talks about how the so-called progressive cities are really only for (or becoming only for) the rootless young (think college students, under 27ers) and the rich.

Atlanta-Dallas-Houston is appealing for all age groups and stages of life--with wonderful racial diversity and big-city low-cost living.
I agree so hard! I'm black, part of a multiracial family, and I've been trying to explain to my white liberal friends for years why I prefer Houston over almost every other city I've lived in (well, except the one I'm currently moving to. ) I've lived in Houston, Denver, and Boston, and a few others, and while the latter two are fine cities, they're not as progressive as they like to think.

Have to give credit where it's due, though. Denver's black population may be small, but it's very strong and close-knit.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:27 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well it's a difference between Austin and the others. Austin is located near areas with large black populations and is home to an HBCU. In other words; I don't think Austin is.
Austin isn't that bad at all. It's a long-shot from Houston or Dallas but you don't feel totally isolated here if you're black. I love the city (though would admitedly like to live in Houston or Atlanta for a while one day). You have a decent sized black population but more importantly you are not located very far from two "black meccas" (Dallas and Houston). That makes a huge difference than if you were just sort of isolated in a state with little blacks like Portland and Seattle are. There is a lot of communication and travel back and forth between Austin blacks and Houston and Dallas blacks, that makes a HUGE difference imo.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:32 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Austin isn't that bad at all. It's a long-shot from Houston or Dallas but you don't feel totally isolated here if you're black. I love the city (though would admitedly like to live in Houston or Atlanta for a while one day). You have a decent sized black population but more importantly you are not located very far from two "black meccas" (Dallas and Houston). That makes a huge difference than if you were just sort of isolated in a state with little blacks like Portland and Seattle are. There is a lot of communication and travel back and forth between Austin blacks and Houston and Dallas blacks, that makes a HUGE difference imo.
On top of that the Central Texas area (The Killeen/Temple/Waco area) have a nice sized black population. I bet you won't find events like the Texas Relays in places like Portland or Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City