Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 04:57 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times

Advertisements

A very interesting article

Quote:

Among the media, academia and within planning circles, there’s a generally standing answer to the question of what cities are the best, the most progressive and best role models for small and mid-sized cities. The standard list includes Portland, Seattle, Austin, Minneapolis, and Denver. In particular, Portland is held up as a paradigm, with its urban growth boundary, extensive transit system, excellent cycling culture, and a pro-density policy. These cities are frequently contrasted with those of the Rust Belt and South, which are found wanting, often even by locals, as “cool” urban places.
But look closely at these exemplars and a curious fact emerges. If you take away the dominant Tier One cities like New York, Chicago and Los Angeles you will find that the “progressive” cities aren’t red or blue, but another color entirely: white.
In fact, not one of these “progressive” cities even reaches the national average for African American percentage population in its core county. Perhaps not progressiveness but whiteness is the defining characteristic of the group.
The rest here :
The White City | Newgeography.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 07:15 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post

The rest here :
Well it's a difference between Austin and the others. Austin is located near areas with large black populations and is home to an HBCU. In other words; I don't think Austin is.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:23 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,209,981 times
One of my favorite rappers (black) lives in Austin, and two other rappers I really like (both black) live in Minneapolis, so I dont imagine they're all that bad.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:31 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well it's a difference between Austin and the others. Austin is located near areas with large black populations and is home to an HBCU. In other words; I don't think Austin is.
I'm agree, and black populations grow quickly in Austin.But it's low in Portland and Seattle.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:36 AM

I think people in Portland and Seattle are just speaking blindly without having any idea or experience on how it is to live with African Americans when they make remarks about being open-minded and colorblind. If the Pacific Northwest started attracts lots of blacks and the black population in the area began to increase tremendously; it would be a completely different story.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:48 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post

The rest here :

Great/interesting article.

Thanks for posting.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:57 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,655,149 times
They didn't talk about Denver too much in the actual writing, but they did have it grouped in with those other cities. Denver has alot of areas that have a high black population(Five Points,Montbello,Park Hill, Green Valley Ranch I can think of right off the top of my head), than you have Aurora which itself has a population of over 300,000 and is more than 13% black. Also if you go to any of those websites that have school demographics, these cities have alot of schools that have large black populations and they even have some schools that are majority black. Oh and the areas in Denver, Portland, Seattle, and Austin that have large black populations also have a mix of hispanic, white, and asian people living in the neighborhood too. You can go to New York City, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Memphis, Dallas, Houston, LA, even San Francsico and find areas that are nearly all black. Diversity to me means that there is a mix of people living in the area, not all of one race.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:01 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
"Anti-Black" is the wrong word. Most of the cities mentioned in the article don't really have the history of racial strife and tension common in many other big cities, or at least it wasn't quite as prevalent.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
They didn't talk about Denver too much in the actual writing, but they did have it grouped in with those other cities. Denver has alot of areas that have a high black population(Five Points,Montbello,Park Hill, Green Valley Ranch I can think of right off the top of my head), than you have Aurora which itself has a population of over 300,000 and is more than 13% black. Also if you go to any of those websites that have school demographics, these cities have alot of schools that have large black populations and they even have some schools that are majority black. Oh and the areas in Denver, Portland, Seattle, and Austin that have large black populations also have a mix of hispanic, white, and asian people living in the neighborhood too. You can go to New York City, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Memphis, Dallas, Houston, LA, even San Francsico and find areas that are nearly all black. Diversity to me means that there is a mix of people living in the area, not all of one race.
And you have areas in Portland ,Seattle, Denver, and Austin that are nearly all white.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
"Anti-Black" is the wrong word. Most of the cities mentioned in the article don't really have the history of racial strife and tension common in many other big cities, or at least it wasn't quite as prevalent.
Except for Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City