Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 09:07 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times

Advertisements

Knoxville, Tennessee. Many call it "Mayberry on steroids."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 07:02 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,246 times
Columbus is a very large city that feels "a tad bit more like a small town", especially if one were to compare it to Cleveland, Ohio's most prominent city and metro area.
Interesting to note ... Columbus IS THE LARGEST CITY IN OHIO ... yet has a more relaxed feel to it.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:08 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,180,281 times
I don't really think Columbus is a very large city lol, it does have the small town feel to it though.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:26 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Disagree San Antonio, Portland, Orlando, and even Jacksonville & Nashville to an extent. I would like to know why all of those million + metro area feel small to you guys? I don't totally disagree with any of your choices, even Minneapolis has a quaint feel in places. Looking at the satellite view of any of those cities, it's hard for me to really get a small town feel (and I've been to all but Portland). I constantly tote Orlando as having all of the "big city deal without all of the big city feel," when comparing it to much larger areas like NY, LA, or Houston, but I certainly wouldn't consider a metro of 2 million + to feel small. I lived in Spartanburg, South Carolina for awhile and that was a large small town that IMO better fits the build of this thread. It's metro was around 280k but felt a lot smaller to me as I'm used to Central Florida.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
I don't really think Columbus is a very large city lol, it does have the small town feel to it though.

Really?

Are you aware that "Columbus proper" ( city limits ) is larger than the following list of "easily recognizable" American cities?

Columbus is more populated than ...

Atlanta
Cleveland
Charlotte
Denver
Minneapolis
Milwaukee
Oklahoma City
Baltimore
Newark
Pittsburgh
Portland, Oregon
Salt Lake City
St. Louis
Louisville, Ky

It's even more interesting to note that many of these cities have "MAJOR LEAGUE" status with various pro sports franchises ... while Columbus only has a NHL hockey team and a baseball minor league team.

So, does Columbus still seem "not" to be such a "large city", especially after viewing this "accurate list" of other cities?

Last edited by JohnDBaumgardner; 06-16-2010 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: x

Old 06-16-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Really?

Are you aware that "Columbus proper" ( city limits ) is larger than the following list of "easily recognizable" American cities?

Atlanta
Cleveland
Charlotte
Denver
Minneapolis
Milwaukee
Oklahoma City
Baltimore
Newark
Pittsburgh
Portland, Oregon
Salt Lake City
St. Louis
Louisville, Ky

It's even more interesting to note that many of these cities have "MAJOR LEAGUE" status with various pro sports franchises ... while Columbus only has a NHL hockey team and a baseball minor league team.

So, does Columbus still seem "not" to be such a "large city", especially after viewing this "accurate list" of other cities?
I Never realized all of that, I just never figured Columbus would be called a "very large city". I definitely slept on it though lol. It's too bad that it's that big and only has a hockey team, is it because of it's proximity to Cleveland and Cincinnatti?

Old 06-16-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
I Never realized all of that, I just never figured Columbus would be called a "very large city". I definitely slept on it though lol. It's too bad that it's that big and only has a hockey team, is it because of it's proximity to Cleveland and Cincinnatti?

I figured that these facts concerning Columbus would be quite an "EYE OPENER" to you ... and to most others" LOL
Yes, due to the dominant presence of OHIO STATE and the BUCKEYES being in Columbus, this city will likely never see anything like an NFL or NBA expansion ...
You're also correct in pointing out that the close proximity to major league sports markets in Cleveland and Cincinnati have also played a very significant role in preventing Columbus from attaining BIG LEAGUE status.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
I figured that these facts concerning Columbus would be quite an "EYE OPENER" to you ... and to most others" LOL
Yes, due to the dominant presence of OHIO STATE and the BUCKEYES being in Columbus, this city will likely never see anything like an NFL or NBA expansion ...
You're also correct in pointing out that the close proximity to major league sports markets in Cleveland and Cincinnati have also played a very significant role in preventing Columbus from attaining BIG LEAGUE status.
I see I see.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:10 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Quote:
Really?

Atlanta
Cleveland
Charlotte
Denver
Minneapolis
Milwaukee
Oklahoma City
Baltimore
Newark
Pittsburgh
Portland, Oregon
Salt Lake City
St. Louis
Louisville, Ky

But Columbus has a smaller area population than just about all of those. For example, Columbus' city limits are 212.6 sq mi while Pittsburgh's is 58.3 sq mi. By city population, Pittsburgh has 316,718 while Columbus has 754,885. However in their metros, While Columbus has 1,773,120 (32nd largest in the US), Pittsburgh has 2,462,571 (22nd largest in the US), which is quite a bit larger.

Agreed that Columbus feels like a small town though!

Old 06-17-2010, 06:54 PM

110 posts, read 270,820 times
I think if a large city (100,000+ with no larger or similar sized cities around it) and it's metro population isn't large, it will feel like a small town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City