Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:02 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,819 times

Advertisements

well this implies the Northeast has lost population.

Which it hasn't, at least not all the states. I know Massachusetts has grown by about 300,000 people since 2000, and Boston metro by about 400,000 in the same time. The state's largest cities have each seen large population increases.

Growth isn't like that of the south and west. but even that isn't sustainable. they will experience the same phenomenoms we did over the past 20 years. It's only a matter of time.

The northeast will continue natural growth and immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 09:08 PM

686 posts, read 1,698,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
I'm wondering if people will start to move back to the midwest/northeast in this decade. People are seeing how booms in housing/etc create awful crashes like in florida, arizona, nevada, california. I think the more established industrial & coastal cities will start to flourish more in this coming decade when people start to realize that they are the ones with better public transit, better schools, more robust economies, and frankly, more character. What do you guys think?

No I doubt many people will move back, I'm sure after the economy gets back on it's feet the south and the west will continue to boom in population and there economies will get much better as time goes on.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:18 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
No I doubt many people will move back, I'm sure after the economy gets back on it's feet the south and the west will continue to boom in population and there economies will get much better as time goes on.
Even they will have to slow down eventually and really they have, to some degree.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:21 PM

686 posts, read 1,698,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Even they will have to slow down eventually and really they have, to some degree.

well yeah for now, But I think after the recession is over the south and west will continue there growth for some time.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:18 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Personally, I want the Northeast to take a break on any type of major growth. (I don't ever want to see NJ exceed 9.25 million in pop)
The NE/MidW already had it's time of growth during WWI and II, it's the sunbelts turn now.
Totally agree.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:22 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,520,115 times
I don't know about the South, but I think the West will have to start slowing down soon. Well, the Southwest anyway. Cities like Las Vegas and Phoenix and their states just might not have enough water to support all the people going there, or so I'm told anyway. I don't know where the growth would move, I think the East/Northeast might be a bit crowded to keep taking more and more people. The Midwest seems like the ideal spot, and the Northwest too, it's not filled out yet. But anyway, long answer short, at some point yeah I think the growth in East/North will pick up alotta steam.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
I don't know about the South, but I think the West will have to start slowing down soon. Well, the Southwest anyway. Cities like Las Vegas and Phoenix and their states just might not have enough water to support all the people going there, or so I'm told anyway. I don't know where the growth would move, I think the East/Northeast might be a bit crowded to keep taking more and more people. The Midwest seems like the ideal spot, and the Northwest too, it's not filled out yet. But anyway, long answer short, at some point yeah I think the growth in East/North will pick up alotta steam.
I think the parts of the NE like Upstate NY and PA can hold more people, as they have the infrastructure to hold more than what they have right now.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:34 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
I think the parts of the NE like Upstate NY and PA can hold more people, as they have the infrastructure to hold more than what they have right now.
I would like to see more people Upstate and in Pennsylvania also Ckh. More people living in selected small towns and rural areas might improve the quality of life in those areas. Also too many people downstate --- major population inbalance.

On the other hand, if more people move Upstate or PA, are they moving to already established cities and villages, where they are NEEDED? Or they just moving to new areas of sprawl like I have seen in Dutchess and Saratoga Counties?

Old 06-03-2010, 11:01 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,520,115 times
Quote:
Yeah, you're right. I was just making generalizations. They could hold alot more people, I just meant the region as a whole is already pretty packed. I think it'd be really great to see Upstate NY and PA fill up. Oh, and imagine if Vermont, Maine, and New Hampshire boomed and filled up like CT, and MA. That'd be interesting lol.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I would like to see more people Upstate and in Pennsylvania also Ckh. More people living in selected small towns and rural areas might improve the quality of life in those areas. Also too many people downstate --- major population inbalance.

On the other hand, if more people move Upstate or PA, are they moving to already established cities and villages, where they are NEEDED? Or they just moving to new areas of sprawl like I have seen in Dutchess and Saratoga Counties?
I think it would be places where they are needed. There are some urban neighborhoods that have their share of empty homes and there are some smaller cities that are below their peak populations by a good percentage. So, I think there are communities that could use an influx of people, including some smaller communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City