Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 07:11 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

I think having a regional outlook, whether it is between states or within states would be idea for parts of the Northeast outside of the Boston to DC corridor. This idea is trying to take shape here in the Syracuse area, by calling itself the Creative Core of NY State due to many colleges in the CNY region and the part of the state from St. Lawrence County down to Broome County. So, I think this might be the way to go in erms of attracting growth in the Northeast and Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 08:26 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
both philadelphia and st. louis have posted population gains in recent years, after decades of decline.
St. Louis has the interesting phenomenon of having basically a reverse of the migration patterns. It is at this point poorer people leaving while slightly more people of higher income move in. Not completly gentrification because it is often the poor areas are still losing people while wealthier areas are gaining people and not within the same area.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:56 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
We're talking about cities, right? Some people are commenting as if the entire regions are losing population or totally stagnated.

The Midwest has grown by over 7 million people since the 1990's. Obviously it's not as high as other regions out west/south - but it's not like it's shrinking.

I can only think of a small handfull of metros that are actually losing population. Core cities are another story, and it varies greatly why they may not be growing, or are shrinking.

A lot of it has to do with bad economies, but people also tend to gloss over the fact that household sizes are much smaller than they use to be, and families want larger houses/yards that are in the suburbs.

Even the places that have lost the most people (Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis) still in 2010 have thousands of more people per square mile than other areas like Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix. Sometimes up to twice as many people pound for pound.

People want more room, which is why they spread out into the suburbs in a lot of places. Then of course there was the 60's through 80's where a lot of neighborhoods all over the country turned into ghettos as people fled with their jobs and money.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:58 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
I think that the NE and MW will continue to gain population; however, if by 'regain' you mean that the current trend of migration to the West and South will reverse itself...no, I don't think so. The factors that have driven this migration (taxes, home prices, weather) have not changed, so I have no reason the believe that the mindset of people moving here will, either.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:25 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think having a regional outlook, whether it is between states or within states would be idea for parts of the Northeast outside of the Boston to DC corridor. This idea is trying to take shape here in the Syracuse area, by calling itself the Creative Core of NY State due to many colleges in the CNY region and the part of the state from St. Lawrence County down to Broome County. So, I think this might be the way to go in erms of attracting growth in the Northeast and Midwest.
The idea just makes sense.

For example, the Hartford-Springfield region is affectionately called the "Knowledge Corridor." Home to 2.3million people, 30 colleges [some 100,000 students], large presence of high tech jobs/research jobs, five Fortune 500 companies.

Separately the two cities are a little insignificant, but combined the lower Connecticut River Valley is second only to Boston [within New England], but statistically is equivalent to a Denver, Minneapolis or a Central Florida. Similar populations and similar economies.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I think that the NE and MW will continue to gain population; however, if by 'regain' you mean that the current trend of migration to the West and South will reverse itself...no, I don't think so. The factors that have driven this migration (taxes, home prices, weather) have not changed, so I have no reason the believe that the mindset of people moving here will, either.
Though I think certain areas will really slow down soon if they haven't already. In terms of domestic migration places like California did reverse itself and a few others at least temporarily like Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. Weather the latter continues statewide or at least portions remains to be seen. The migration trends though are generally with the exception of Texas is starting to go a little more North. That and plenty of areas in the West and South haven't grown and are more like the NE and MW migration-wise. If there is a reversal it will likely start as a slowing down of migration first and any growth will begin along the southern edge. Partially due to being closest in factors that caused the growth in the South and West.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:47 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,471 times
Places like Cleveland, Buffalo, Milwaukee, etc will start growing once the south runs out of water. The great Lakes will once again be our savior.

And I agree with the rest of you about how crappy and poorly planned most of Arizona is--it's like America's retirement home. How do you build a "city" on the desert?

Cleveland has everything it needs to be a world class city..except people. I just hope that we can preserve some of these beautiful old buildings from demolition...

Old 06-04-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
We're talking about cities, right? Some people are commenting as if the entire regions are losing population or totally stagnated.

The Midwest has grown by over 7 million people since the 1990's. Obviously it's not as high as other regions out west/south - but it's not like it's shrinking.

I can only think of a small handfull of metros that are actually losing population. Core cities are another story, and it varies greatly why they may not be growing, or are shrinking.

A lot of it has to do with bad economies, but people also tend to gloss over the fact that household sizes are much smaller than they use to be, and families want larger houses/yards that are in the suburbs.

Even the places that have lost the most people (Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis) still in 2010 have thousands of more people per square mile than other areas like Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix. Sometimes up to twice as many people pound for pound.

People want more room, which is why they spread out into the suburbs in a lot of places. Then of course there was the 60's through 80's where a lot of neighborhoods all over the country turned into ghettos as people fled with their jobs and money.
Acutally in population density. The latter cities mostly are much larger in area and includes non core areas which lower overall density since they can just annex areas nearby. In the earlier half St. Louis has already started regaining population in the last decade, the other thing is in that case the city is almost 100% core and some of the core urban area is outside city limits. Part of the reason it lost so many people was it couldn't expand and everything developed in city limits by 1950.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:22 AM

686 posts, read 1,698,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
Places like Cleveland, Buffalo, Milwaukee, etc will start growing once the south runs out of water. The great Lakes will once again be our savior.

And I agree with the rest of you about how crappy and poorly planned most of Arizona is--it's like America's retirement home. How do you build a "city" on the desert?

Cleveland has everything it needs to be a world class city..except people. I just hope that we can preserve some of these beautiful old buildings from demolition...

the south will never run out of water, the southeast has got alot of water.

I doubt buffalo will grow anytime soon, it's losing people and all the counties that surround are losing people to.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:23 AM

686 posts, read 1,698,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
well almost all the counties from broome to st.lawrence are losing people.

plus most of those college students up there leave after graduation and go to other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City