Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 04:27 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,916 times

Advertisements

Not all population or jobs are created equal...

Lot of illegals and poors pay little/no taxes yet consume lots of welfare and create many social ills

Entrenched unions and overpaid gvt workers entail ever-rising taxes on the few taxpayers left in economically dying/stagnant states/cities like those of NY/NJ/CT/IL/MI, etc or most of CA outside of SiliconValley

Suspect many major employers will continue to move decent jobs out of high-income tax, unionized states/cities to more efficient, low-tax places like suburban Dallas for white-collar jobs...and mfg/distribution jobs to non-unionized, low-cost exurbia in TX or any other efficient, low-tax state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 04:43 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,293,415 times
It's more complicated than that. Are New Yorkers unusually fertile? Quite the opposite, birth rates are very low in the city. Perhaps it's because people are dying elsewhere? If a man works for 50 years in New York and then retires to Florida for five, is he a New Yorker or a Floridian? Also, there are very, very few nursing homes in the city. Having a high-rise nursing home is a huge insurance liability; in the event of a fire you couldn't use the elevators to evacuate the residents.

Of course retirees are people and should be counted as migrants, but meaningful growth (and economic development) of a city really depends on an influx of working people, especially recent college grads.

Last edited by tpk-nyc; 06-04-2010 at 05:03 PM..

Old 06-04-2010, 07:45 PM

528 posts, read 1,184,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
with permission form the Original owner i edited his Map. And added in all the 2030/40 plans. By the time these are all completed , i believe that the Region's population should be back to what it once was during the boom era. I do think Taxes outside NYC will go down enough to bring back all the ppl who left and went all over the Country. Most of our Railways our Built to handle at least 40,000-60,000 people. Most Cities should restore there Streetcar or build Light Rail systems by 2030 attracting alot of ppl. Making the cities denser and New Urbanism developments will accelerate population growths. Transit / Rail is a huge part of this.

Here's a Rundown on cities that have Transit expansion or Restoration plans

Streetcars

Providence
New Haven
Philly
Reading,PA
Lancaster,PA
Harrisburg,PA
Boston
Portland,ME
Washington DC
Jersey City
Manchester,NH
Stamford
Atlantic City

Light Rail

Washington DC
Baltimore
Northern / Central Jersey
Pittsburgh
Southeastern PA
Binghamton,NY
Syracuse
Rochester
Buffalo
Springfield
Hartford
Scranton
Albany
Lehigh Valley
Wilmington,DE

Heavy Rail (ie , Subways , EL )

Boston
New Jersey Gold Coast
New York City
Washington DC
Philadelphia

Commuter Rail lines or Network

More in Eastern Massachusetts
Western Massachusetts
60% of Connecticut
90% of New Jersey
More in the Hudson River Valley
More around Providence
A New Network around Harrisburg
More in Maryland
Delaware?

Higher / High Speed Intercity Railways (120-150mph+)

Boston-Montreal HSL 130-150mph
Empire Corridor 110-140mph
Keystone Corridor Extension to Pittsburgh / Cleveland 110-160mph
Upgraded Northeast Corridor line 160-180mph

Map>
Red = True High Speed Rail 130-220mph
Orange = Commuter / Higher Speed Rail 70-120mph
Purple = Planned / Proposed Metro , Light Rail , Streetcar , or Bus Rapid Transit

You forgot the proposed rail across the 287 corridor from Suffern, NY to Port Chester, NY and over the future New Tappan Zee Bridge! I'm hoping they build a light rail there that connects to both metro north in tarrytown & port chester, and nj transit in nanuet & suffern!

Also, I think there is a proposed extension to the DC metro (yellow or blue line) to go down to woodbridge?

Old 06-04-2010, 07:47 PM

528 posts, read 1,184,619 times
but yeah, i agree with what some ppl have said: transportation will be the key. If the northeast cities continue with their plans of "Smart Growth" by building mass transit where there are currently car commuting patterns, connecting neighborhoods and easing congestion, I think it will help the growth of the NE/MW cities alot.

Example: Arlington, VA

Old 06-05-2010, 02:34 PM

686 posts, read 1,698,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
but yeah, i agree with what some ppl have said: transportation will be the key. If the northeast cities continue with their plans of "Smart Growth" by building mass transit where there are currently car commuting patterns, connecting neighborhoods and easing congestion, I think it will help the growth of the NE/MW cities alot.

Example: Arlington, VA

As long as the growth is smart growth and not sprawl and stays mostly concentrated in the coastal northeast leaving most of PA and upstate NY rural like it is now than I'm alright with it.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:58 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,668 times
CLEVELAND is once again GROWING and is experiencing renewal, a building boom is happening right now ... particularly in the esteemed and quite beautiful UNIVERSITY CIRCLE district. There are massive construction cranes dotting this area, raising very impressive NEW buildings on the medical campus of UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS OF CLEVELAND / CASE MEDICAL CENTER, in addition to incredibly modern dwellings that are under construction near Case Western Reserve University.

COLUMBUS has not stopped GROWING!

Last edited by JohnDBaumgardner; 06-05-2010 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: x

Old 06-05-2010, 03:01 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
I don't think they will grow that much, but gentrification and standard of living improvements in the cities is well underway... It will end up being more like Europe with higher end stuff in the city propers and suburbs being poorer.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:29 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
Cleveland has everything it needs to be a world class city..except people. I just hope that we can preserve some of these beautiful old buildings from demolition...
I like Cleaveland but prefer Chicago. I would make Cleaveland my home in the Midwest if it wasn't for Chicago. Sorry.

I like the lakefront in both cities but I like living in beautiful places that contain a world city (especially Alphas).

Old 06-05-2010, 04:11 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
I'm wondering if people will start to move back to the midwest/northeast in this decade. People are seeing how booms in housing/etc create awful crashes like in florida, arizona, nevada, california. I think the more established industrial & coastal cities will start to flourish more in this coming decade when people start to realize that they are the ones with better public transit, better schools, more robust economies, and frankly, more character. What do you guys think?
That region probably won't pick up again until something big happens to draw people back. Heavy industry aided the growth of the NE and MW in the 20th century, but that industrial base has left and will never come back. Something new needs to happen before those areas become domestic migration destinations again.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:54 PM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
As long as the growth is smart growth and not sprawl and stays mostly concentrated in the coastal northeast leaving most of PA and upstate NY rural like it is now than I'm alright with it.
I think the Upstate NY and PA cities can take more people than what they have now, because they have the infrastructure to hold more people. So, sprawl shouldn't be as big of an issue in those cities/areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City