Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is Best for Me?
Atlanta 35 33.33%
Charlotte 10 9.52%
Dallas 33 31.43%
Houston 20 19.05%
Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill 7 6.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 09:26 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,183,607 times

Advertisements

Houston would be a good choice, also you said your parents plan on retiring in Florida. You don't want to give Miami or the South Florida area a shot? I guess your one of those that doesn't consider Miami "the south" lol. I would probably choose Houston out of your list, I'm 21 as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 11:19 PM

166 posts, read 612,014 times
Thanks for all the information so far. First off, I have visited Atlanta about six times since 1999. My father had relatives who used to live in Lawrenceville, about 30 miles NE of the city. We went to the downtown and midtown areas of the city a couple of times, and I really enjoyed it. It feels like a big city and it's beautiful. The one thing that I did hate about Atlanta was the absolute HORRIBLE traffic. When me and family would go to Florida every other summer, we would have to pass through Atlanta, and no matter what time of the day it was, we were always stuck in traffic.

As for my degree, I can honestly say that I do not have a concrete idea about what I would like to do with my degree. I have thought about getting a job with human resources or possible with the government, doing field work. I'm hoping to get an internship this year with the state government in Nashville to see if it would be my thing.

I really don't need to be near Tennessee. My parents are leaving and most of my friends are out-of-staters who aren't probably going to stay in TN, so the proximity to TN really is not a factor. And I am not against moving to South Florida because it's not "southern" (quite frankly I could care less about southern living or culture; I'm Puerto Rican after all and originally from Jersey), but because of the cost of Miami. It would not be that much cheaper than New York. The rest of Florida just does not appeal to me for whatever reason.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:26 PM

^ Thats cool man I'm originally from NJ as well. I am always traveling between the NY/NJ area and FL. South Florida is my favorite area of the state, you are right though, it can get pretty expensive at times. Especially if you want to live in a really nice area.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:52 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Looks more like you're into the big city type of thing, and that you like a HUGE city. With that, Atlanta, Houston and Dallas.

Atlanta would be a better adjustment for you as far as climate goes. And it's closer to where you are now and has all the big city amenities, so I would recommend that.
But if moving to a state a bit further is a possibility then check these cities out:

Dallas:

YouTube - How Dallas Works Dallas City Guide

YouTube - Dallas Texas Freeway Tour

Houston:

YouTube - One Day in Houston

YouTube - Houston Texaplex

Atlanta:

YouTube - Atlanta GA - A City of the New Millennium

YouTube - Georgia - Atlanta - City Tour - Travel Doc

Watch all the videos if you want to get to know these cities a bit better.

Charlotte and Raleigh are great cities too, but the other three are much larger. And going off your post I think that's what you want big city that stays in the inexpensive side.

I voted for Atlanta in the poll, because it's overall the best one for easy relocation.
those dallas videos make the metroplex seem real dull

Old 06-04-2010, 11:53 PM

One Day In Houston >>> All of those other videos. Man, I play that video just to hear the guy jamming on the Electric Violin.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:14 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
Thanks for all the information so far. First off, I have visited Atlanta about six times since 1999. My father had relatives who used to live in Lawrenceville, about 30 miles NE of the city. We went to the downtown and midtown areas of the city a couple of times, and I really enjoyed it. It feels like a big city and it's beautiful. The one thing that I did hate about Atlanta was the absolute HORRIBLE traffic. When me and family would go to Florida every other summer, we would have to pass through Atlanta, and no matter what time of the day it was, we were always stuck in traffic.

As for my degree, I can honestly say that I do not have a concrete idea about what I would like to do with my degree. I have thought about getting a job with human resources or possible with the government, doing field work. I'm hoping to get an internship this year with the state government in Nashville to see if it would be my thing.

I really don't need to be near Tennessee. My parents are leaving and most of my friends are out-of-staters who aren't probably going to stay in TN, so the proximity to TN really is not a factor. And I am not against moving to South Florida because it's not "southern" (quite frankly I could care less about southern living or culture; I'm Puerto Rican after all and originally from Jersey), but because of the cost of Miami. It would not be that much cheaper than New York. The rest of Florida just does not appeal to me for whatever reason.
I'd say give Atlanta a shot since you really seemed to like it. Traffic is horrible in all them (but I hear Atlanta is the worse of them all).

I'd suggest trying to decide what you want to do and than see which city offers the best program for whatever major your trying to go into that. That should make it easier for you to decide.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:06 PM

166 posts, read 612,014 times
Just out of curiosity, is anyone pretty familiar with the Research Triangle area. I seem to get a lot of feedback about Dallas, Houston and Atlanta. But Raleigh/Durham seems appealing from what I hear due to the low cost of living and high educational attainment of the area's residents. I know it is the smallest area out of the 5 cities I mentioned, but anybody have more precise detail about it to see if it fits me at all?

Old 06-05-2010, 12:45 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
Just out of curiosity, is anyone pretty familiar with the Research Triangle area. I seem to get a lot of feedback about Dallas, Houston and Atlanta. But Raleigh/Durham seems appealing from what I hear due to the low cost of living and high educational attainment of the area's residents. I know it is the smallest area out of the 5 cities I mentioned, but anybody have more precise detail about it to see if it fits me at all?
It's a mid sized area, similar to Austin, Columbus, lesser extent Charlotte.

It's a great area, and you've heard right. But you can't expect a big city life there, which is fine if you're okay with that, but it's nice to live in nonetheless. The area was the fastest growing region, 36.4% growth in 10 years, it's bound to change by quite a lot.

I agree with Jluke, Atlanta might have the worst traffic but it's public transportation is a lot more convenient than Houston or Dallas. The thing with those cities is that they're so spread out, driving can become irritating sometimes, that's really not as much the case in Atlanta as the other two, but traffic seems like it's just as bad there.

But yeah public transit = best in Atlanta, out of all your options.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:29 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Also, to the OP, if your parents are in Florida, but Florida doesn't appeal to you, Atlanta may be the better of your choices. There are a ton of relocated Floridians and Northeasterners here compared to Texas. Texas seems to be more popular with Californians and Midwesterners.

However, if being by a Puerto Rican community is important to you, there is a decent sized PR community in DFW as well as Atlanta. But DFW and Houston have a much larger Mexican population.

Raleigh/Durham seems to be a very popular choice with Northeasterners as well, but it's a much smaller metro area than the others you are considering. But you are about 5 hours from DC, and about 2 hours from the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:35 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Also, to the OP, if your parents are in Florida, but Florida doesn't appeal to you, Atlanta may be the better of your choices. There are a ton of relocated Floridians and Northeasterners here compared to Texas. Texas seems to be more popular with Californians and Midwesterners.

However, if being by a Puerto Rican community is important to you, there is a decent sized PR community in DFW as well as Atlanta. But DFW and Houston have a much larger Mexican population.

Raleigh/Durham seems to be a very popular choice with Northeasterners as well, but it's a much smaller metro area than the others you are considering. But you are about 5 hours from DC, and about 2 hours from the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area.
Texas actually has lots of Floridians as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City