Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is Best for Me?
Atlanta 35 33.33%
Charlotte 10 9.52%
Dallas 33 31.43%
Houston 20 19.05%
Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill 7 6.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 10:29 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
I'm definitely giving some thought to Chicago after many of the responses I've gotten on the forum. One thing that is true about Atlanta, Houston, Dallas and a lot of other southern cities is that their lack of density makes them feel more suburban than an actual city.

I've been looking up at apartments.com and find that I can get a decent studio for $1,100 in a not-so-bad neighborhood in Chicago. Granted I can get a 1-bedroom for as cheap at $700 in a nice area of Texas's two cities and Atlanta. I found some as a cheap at $500 in Charlotte and the Triangle area.
If you give Charlotte some serious thought, DM me so I can give you neighborhoods to look at. Some of those $500 areas are quite sketchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 08:14 AM

9 posts, read 35,997 times
Go to TX, dont bother with anything in NC. I'm a CA transplant and I hate it here...ppl make it really obvious they dont like the fact your not an NC local. When my contract is up in Jan '11 I'm looking to leave this state ASAP and possibly moving to Houston. The only friends I've made here are TX transplants that are waiting for the oppurtunity to go back to TX, so I'm doing my homework on HOU...hope to be calling TX my new (and perm) home soon.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:24 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant323 View Post
Go to TX, dont bother with anything in NC. I'm a CA transplant and I hate it here...ppl make it really obvious they dont like the fact your not an NC local.
That's because you live in Winston-Salem. That's not Charlotte; Charlotte is full of transplants. The difference between the two cities is like night and day in that regard. I can't stand it when people judge an entire state by their experience in just one city. How about if I judged the entire state of California by living in Fresno, or the entire state of Texas by living in Waco? That's just senseless.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:29 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
well none of these cities really have a "large" puerto rican population, but of the three, i'm pretty sure houston has the largest. but that isn't saying much as houston is so huge and integrated, so the puerto rican community is likely spread out all over the metro
You would think, but of DFW, Atlanta, and Houston, Houston actually has the smallest Puerto Rican population.

Metro Atlanta has the largest at close to 40,000, DFW is next with about 35,000, Greater Houston has about 30,000.

Its a trade off for the Latino communities. DFW has more Mexicans than anywhere else except LA and Chicago. Houston's hispanic community is more spread out among the Central American nations. DFW's is mostly Mexican and Salvadoran with pockets of Guatemalan and Honduran.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:01 AM

882 posts, read 2,245,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
You would think, but of DFW, Atlanta, and Houston, Houston actually has the smallest Puerto Rican population.

Metro Atlanta has the largest at close to 40,000, DFW is next with about 35,000, Greater Houston has about 30,000.

Its a trade off for the Latino communities. DFW has more Mexicans than anywhere else except LA and Chicago. Houston's hispanic community is more spread out among the Central American nations. DFW's is mostly Mexican and Salvadoran with pockets of Guatemalan and Honduran.
Yeah, I remember this data, and was about to respond, but kept reading to page 3 in case somebody responded first.

But seriously, to the OP, wanna eat rice and beans and NOT be confused for a Mexican. Mexicans aren't into salsa as much as Puerto Ricans, but still enjoy it.

It really comes down to personal prefference I suppose. You should list more of your intrests.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:05 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Yeah, I remember this data, and was about to respond, but kept reading to page 3 in case somebody responded first.

But seriously, to the OP, wanna eat rice and beans and NOT be confused for a Mexican. Mexicans aren't into salsa as much as Puerto Ricans, but still enjoy it.

It really comes down to personal prefference I suppose. You should list more of your intrests.
It was well over a month ago. I am quite sure the original poster has made his decision.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:12 AM

882 posts, read 2,245,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
It was well over a month ago. I am quite sure the original poster has made his decision.
Guess we'll never know...

Old 07-15-2010, 10:14 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Guess we'll never know...
The suspense kills to find out.

I just wish some of these guys would get back on for their grand decision finalization. So that way we know if our hard work in information gathering, or for some super hard work in bias answering was put to good use!

Old 07-15-2010, 11:42 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
That's because you live in Winston-Salem. That's not Charlotte; Charlotte is full of transplants. The difference between the two cities is like night and day in that regard. I can't stand it when people judge an entire state by their experience in just one city. How about if I judged the entire state of California by living in Fresno, or the entire state of Texas by living in Waco? That's just senseless.
HEY!

Old 07-15-2010, 02:59 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
HEY!
I have nothing against Waco, but it certainly doesn't represent most of what we see and hear about Texas: rapid population and economic growth, rising national profile, etc. You know what I'm saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City