Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is Best for Me?
Atlanta 35 33.33%
Charlotte 10 9.52%
Dallas 33 31.43%
Houston 20 19.05%
Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill 7 6.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 03:06 PM

9 posts, read 35,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
HEY!
I've been to CLT and RDU many times, now of course I havent lived there...I've been living in W-S for the whole 6 mos I've been out here...althought I've already been "called out" both in CLT and RDU by locals, the first thing I get asked is where I'm from because of my "accent"...whatever ever happend to "hey, how are you doing, my name is..." so it's pretty hard not to judge the whole state if the reaction of locals is the same accross the board. I get it, newcomers are NOT welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 03:29 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I have nothing against Waco, but it certainly doesn't represent most of what we see and hear about Texas: rapid population and economic growth, rising national profile, etc. You know what I'm saying.
I'm just messing with you lol

Old 07-15-2010, 06:02 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,863,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant323 View Post
I've been to CLT and RDU many times, now of course I havent lived there...I've been living in W-S for the whole 6 mos I've been out here...althought I've already been "called out" both in CLT and RDU by locals, the first thing I get asked is where I'm from because of my "accent"...whatever ever happend to "hey, how are you doing, my name is..." so it's pretty hard not to judge the whole state if the reaction of locals is the same accross the board. I get it, newcomers are NOT welcomed.
So let me get this straight: because you have a different accent and people (naturally) ask where you're from because of that accent, that means we're not welcoming of transplants, despite the fact that Charlotte and the Triangle in particular are practically running over with transplants. Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:05 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,248,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
I'm currently about to finish my senior year of college at Middle Tennessee State University with a bachelor's degree in sociology. Since my time in college is quickly coming to an end in a year, I need to decide where I want to live. And I am hoping that many of you here on CD could suggest a place for me.

For the longest time, I wanted to live in a HUGE city like New York and Chicago. For starters I have family in both areas (more in the New York area) and like the world, international cities that both are. However, the cost of living in both cities (especially New York) is astronomically high and competition for any type of well-paying job is tough. So, I think the best bet would be to go and live in a major city in the South, considering that I could get some kind of city living but still have a relatively low cost of living.

By the time I graduate I will be 22 and probably still single (I don't want to get married til I'm nearing 30). My parents want to move to Florida when they retire and I have no real reason to stay in Tennessee because of that. And on a side note, I actually want to live in the city and not a suburb that's 30-50 miles away. So if anyone is saying I should move to Houston because Katy is nice, that doesn't really count. Though Raleigh can be given a pass on this since Durham, Chapel Hill and Cary are very prominent and important cities in that particular area.

Atlanta, Raleigh (along with Durham, Chapel Hill and Cary), Dallas, Houston and Charlotte all seem to be great cities from what I hear, though Atlanta is the only one I have visited, so I chose these 5 cities to choose from. With all the information I have given about myself, which one do you think I would be most comfortable in, financially and socially?
In your shoes at your age being single, I would choose Dallas first, followed by Houston. I would think twice about Atlanta, Charlotte, or Raleigh. Dallas is extremely popular with your age group...there is a lot of nightlife there and a huge singles scene. Its not NYC by any means, but it has the best you will find this side of the Mason-Dixon line outside of Miami. Houston is right up with Dallas as far as amenities but the culture is a bit different. Houston is more southern and is not as uptight and fashion conscious as Dallas. Atlanta is simply not impressive in any way. Its too sprawled to feel like a real city and the nightlife is very spread out. It is also notorious for having much higher crime than Dallas or Houston. Charlotte, while nice, is more of a family city than a singles city, and Raleigh is just too small. Bottom line...Dallas or Houston are the only real choices in your list.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Atlanta is simply not impressive in any way. Its too sprawled to feel like a real city and the nightlife is very spread out.
You've got to be kidding me. Dallas and Houston are just as sprawled as Atlanta, and just because the nightlife is spread out doesn't mean it's non-existent. It just means that you can hang out in more of a variety of places. I'm not dissing Houston and Dallas in any way whatsoever, but it's pretty funny that you would hold those cities in high regard but then say that Atlanta "is simply not impressive in any way." Atlanta is one of the best cities for singles there is.

Quote:
It is also notorious for having much higher crime than Dallas or Houston.
As with any other city, it depends on the neighborhood.

At any rate, if I were the OP, I'd let the job decide between Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:55 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,803,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant323 View Post
I believe that "Hey, how are you doing..." and "Hey, where are you from?" are both very common ways of striking up a conversation with someone deemed interesting enough to strike one up. It certainly shouldn't offend you that someone takes an interest in your background and I'm very sure that 99% of the time you aren't being "called out". It sounds like you may be a little paranoid.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I believe that "Hey, how are you doing..." and "Hey, where are you from?" are both very common ways of striking up a conversation with someone deemed interesting enough to strike one up. It certainly shouldn't offend you that someone takes an interest in your background and I'm very sure that 99% of the time you aren't being "called out". It sounds like you may be a little paranoid.
There you go. It's pretty silly to not expect to be asked where you're from if you have a distinct accent, and even sillier to take that as a sign that a place isn't "welcoming to newcomers" because of it.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:28 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,043 times
Since a lot of people seem to be unfamiliar with Raleigh and its singles life, let me add some info:

There are three top 100 universities in the area so there are a ton of recent graduates living in the area who are single and professsional. While the "downtown" effect isn't here in any large degree, they have several hang out streets in the local area that have a lot going on (Franklin Street, Glenwood South, etc...).

Follow the link for all the "awards/lists" Raleigh has won in the past several years and many relate to being single and young (won't paste quotes as the formatting gets screwed up here):

City of Raleigh | Raleigh Recognition: Recent "Best Of" Awards (http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_202_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Resident/Raleigh_At_A_Glance/About_Raleigh/Cat-2CA-2007423-142554-Raleigh_Recognition__Rec.html - broken link)

Old 07-16-2010, 11:06 AM

166 posts, read 611,989 times
Thanks for all the replies. I actually looked at these posts and have no concrete idea where I will move to. I still got a little over a year to make up my mind, so I'm in no rush. I'm originally from NJ and visited for about a week and a half back in June and realized how much I really like being there, so who knows, maybe I might not even live in the South at all!

Too be young and have your life to look forward to...

Old 07-16-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
Since a lot of people seem to be unfamiliar with Raleigh and its singles life, let me add some info:

There are three top 100 universities in the area so there are a ton of recent graduates living in the area who are single and professsional. While the "downtown" effect isn't here in any large degree, they have several hang out streets in the local area that have a lot going on (Franklin Street, Glenwood South, etc...).

Follow the link for all the "awards/lists" Raleigh has won in the past several years and many relate to being single and young (won't paste quotes as the formatting gets screwed up here):

City of Raleigh | Raleigh Recognition: Recent "Best Of" Awards (http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_202_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Resident/Raleigh_At_A_Glance/About_Raleigh/Cat-2CA-2007423-142554-Raleigh_Recognition__Rec.html - broken link)
Raleigh definitely tends to do well in the singles category, but I didn't mention it (nor Charlotte) because the OP appears to want to live in a large city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City