Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Classified Ads
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 10:45 AM

219 posts, read 526,711 times

Advertisements

If you live in or near Washington, DC (or are willing to move here), have a college degree and/or were in the military, are a US citizen, and have a clean background, there might be a job for you with my employer. I do contract security for the US State Department and its annexes and passport offices around the country. Pay depends on where you work but training lasts 1 month here in DC and pays $7.25/hour. It's all about passing the gun range (you will be armed and in a uniform) and I've seen both former military/law enforcement people, fresh college grads who've never touched a weapon, petite and older folks, etc pass. Once you're on the contract and if you work in DC pay will go up to around $27-28/hour with health insurance and a 401a. Four dollars per hour (on top of the $27-28) goes towards health insurance with the remainder going towards your retirement plan. If you can prove you already have approved insurance, the whole $4/hour will go into your 401a. You'll get about 30-40 hours per week with chances for overtime. There are also quarterly bonuses: $250/quarter for being under a certain weight for your height, $250 if chosen to be a special deputy marshal, and a quarterly bonus for your clearance level. When you first start you will not have a clearance. You will probably end up with a Top Secret but some people get a Top Secret with SCI. Quarterly bonuses for a Top Secret are $750 and bonuses for a TS/SCI are $1000 to $1250 I believe. People who choose to call off a lot and never get bonuses due to violations and the like, usually make $50-60K. Those who get all their bonuses and make an effort to get as much overtime as possible can make $70-80K pretty easily. There's room for advancement and every now and then posts open up around the country at passport offices.

It's boring work and you'll be on your feet for 8-12 hours with few breaks. The rules are strict and you're always being watched. Many people don't like it, but it's a job and in the 3.5 years I've been there the company has not stopped hiring and there's a new training class every 2 weeks. Sure, you'll be out in the rain, snow, heat, etc and you'll work many holidays and weekends, but it beats being unemployed. If this sounds like something you'd be interested in, send me a message. I'm not a recruiter though the company has one. I was unemployed before this job so I know what it's like. Luckily I found out about this job at a bar. I'd never touched a gun before and never thought I'd be a "security guard" but here I am. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 11:02 AM

314 posts, read 697,268 times
wish there was something like this in nj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Classified Ads