Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Classified Ads
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 09:22 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times

Advertisements

It all sounds suspicious. I respect that you're a good lawyer. Love the house, btw. I just don't know what your reason would be to post about it here.

ETA: I'm not saying that YOU sound suspicious, OP. The whole deal: Argentine, tear the house down.... Too far fetched (sounding). I'd be running the other way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 07:58 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Twinbrook thanks Some of the others didn't read the thread. If you haven't read all of it then why comment? It just clogs the page. Follow closely SoCalcpl and Jk gourmet. Read each word (ugh!)

for those who read and actually understand skip below to the question

One last time. The buyers are wealthy and well known architects from Austin. They came and looked at the house months ago but wanted so many changes it wasn't feasible. They loved the view and there is not 140' facing the ocean on the market in that or nearby areas of Rockport. They made an offer which I rejected. Every now and then they inquired again but their offers were too low. They did come up substantially. They are quite wealthy but there is a saying that people don't became millionaires from spending lavishly ( this isn't always correct). They say and their broker says they will not offer or go higher one red cent than what was their final offer, however they added a much larger offer if we could remove house and septic. I don't have to be a lawyer to understand that I would not demolish or move the house without money in hand. They are rich enough to say "We dont want the hassle of doing this ( they are spending January in South America) and yeah we will make it worth your while to take care of this for us. For whatever reason they wont go up on the offer with house. Ok I hope I don't have to repeat this part again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for photos I dont want to use my limit on here - there are plenty on the major real estate sites for 139 Ocean Rockport 78382.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question

I understand that moving the house far is out of the question. There are cheaper lots not directly on the water but with some view across the street and down maybe 50 yards. Way cheaper and its a quiet street little traffic - Might this be an option? The house is on piers its covered by a breakaway wall. What might that cost?

Any other ideas aside from "make him pay more"
You keep saying this like it is a real issue. They are wealthy, they aren't going out with a pick and shovel to tear it down. It is literally a couple of phone calls and cutting a check to have the house eradicated from the land. No hassle at all.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:32 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Also someone will need a permit to demolish the house. If you are really interested in this deal get bids from contractors to do the work and wrap that contract into the deal. The contract should be in the buyer's name.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:40 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
What I love is that although they are 'supposedly" wealthy and famous (at least in architect circles), they have not offered any kind of money or put any money in an account to take care of anything.. Wealthy or not and staying in Argentina or not they can do this anytime and anywhere...

Still sounds like BS to me... Also first you say they don't want the house and then in another post you say they offered more with the house intact and you turned it down...

And then still in another you said they don't like the big living rooms, but then say they want to tear down all the walls.. makes no sense to me....

Old 12-26-2015, 11:24 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Thanks One they are spending the month in Argentina and the offer for the house as is is too low.D Demolition will cost more than 10k. They are rich and don;t want to bother with demolition. When the come back to the US on Feb 1 they want it gone.
The house is in great shape - renovations new furniture appliances, but I'm tired of paying mortgage costs of $4000 when I live 800 miles away. Eventually it would do well as a rental but I could use the cash.

Then why are you even considering the transaction?

If you get an appropriate offer I would look for a suitable lot nearby but maybe further off the beach to move it to that would make a sale practical. Then, with the proceeds from the land sale and the house sale you can build whatever you want 700 miles away.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:28 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
........ but want the house and septic removed..........
I suggest that you look into what it takes to remove a septic system. That they do in my area to decommission a septic system is to pump out the tank and fill it up with sand. That's not too difficult, but it is not removing the septic system, either.

If the potential buyers want to place part of their house right where the current tank and leach field are located, maybe they literally mean "remove" the septic. I'm not so sure you can find anyone who will do that. You might want to ask around and get some estimates on the cost.

Also, make sure it states clearly in the sales contract that there is no guarantee that the county will issue a permit for a new septic system and failure to obtain a permit for a new system is not grounds to cancel the sale.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:19 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Geography has never been my strong suit - what ocean do you have a view of from Texas?

Old 12-26-2015, 01:37 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Geography has never been my strong suit - what ocean do you have a view of from Texas?
LOL

Look at a map.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:39 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
LOL

Look at a map.
I did - no ocean bordering Texas that I could see.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:53 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
It all sounds suspicious. I respect that you're a good lawyer. Love the house, btw. I just don't know what your reason would be to post about it here.

ETA: I'm not saying that YOU sound suspicious, OP. The whole deal: Argentine, tear the house down.... Too far fetched (sounding). I'd be running the other way.

Yes, this is a fun posting.
The poster is a lawyer and posting question on a public forum.
Lot's of ideas.
Move the house. Lease the house back after selling.
House has to be gone before purchase.

My suggestion is to construct a barge. Slide the house onto the barge. Make this home a house boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Classified Ads