Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:12 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty711 View Post
But saying that Obama will lose so and so just because the convention won't be someplace is silly.
To be clear, I thought that he was going to lose Missouri, North Carolina and likely Ohio regardless of what the DNC decided.

Quote:
As you can see by that list, the locations chosen are rarely swing state locations.
True, but of the possible DNC choices for 2012, two of the four were in traditional swing states. North Carolina can't be categorized as a swing state (yet). But of all of the possible sites, Ohio was the most "purple" and had the most electoral votes. Placing the convention in Cleveland would not have won him the state, and placing it in Charlotte won't lose him the state, either, but it would have helped a bit to hold it here, I believe. Not to mention being a gesture of goodwill towards the state that was so crucial in 2008.

Just about everything Obama has done recently has been a slap in the face to Ohioans. He takes us for granted. He may not like the way we vote here in 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 09:47 AM

306 posts, read 821,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
To be clear, I thought that he was going to lose Missouri, North Carolina and likely Ohio regardless of what the DNC decided.

True, but of the possible DNC choices for 2012, two of the four were in traditional swing states. North Carolina can't be categorized as a swing state (yet). But of all of the possible sites, Ohio was the most "purple" and had the most electoral votes. Placing the convention in Cleveland would not have won him the state, and placing it in Charlotte won't lose him the state, either, but it would have helped a bit to hold it here, I believe. Not to mention being a gesture of goodwill towards the state that was so crucial in 2008.

Just about everything Obama has done recently has been a slap in the face to Ohioans. He takes us for granted. He may not like the way we vote here in 2012.
What makes you think Ohio was so crucial besides the fact that you live here? I'm sorry but I think you are looking at this from a home bias. Obama won going away. Even if he lost Ohio, he would've won comfortably. It was a landslide election. Important, yes, but the Dems did just as well in NC as in OH and the win in NC was probably more important since most people consider NC a "red state." The Dems took the governorship and a Senate seat that year as well in NC. There are more Democrats in congress from NC than in OH. Unlike in OH where Dem congressman went down left and right, only one Dem lost in NC even though the GOP targeted several others.

I think making any predictions is foolhardy. Should we look at back at the past? In 1994, the Dems were declared dead. In 1996, Clinton won handily. In 2004, most people predicted there was no way Bush would win, but he did. In 2007, Hillary Clinton was practically given the future nomination, but lost in the 2008 primary to a relative political newcomer. In 2008, John McCain was broke, floundering and declared dead - he came back and won the primary. In 2008 Republicans laughed when Obama's team suggested he could win in VA, NC, OH, IN and CO, yet he did. In 2009, Democrats laughed when Republicans said they could win Ted Kennedy's seat - but the Republicans did. In 2010, Republicans all but guaranteed that Harry Reid would lose. Not only did Reid win, he garnered 55% of the vote. In 2008, Republicans were considered a dying minority, and now people think they can't be stopped just two years later.

Bottom line, politics move rapidly. A convention won't matter. How many people in November 2012 will even remember that Cleveland was a finalist for the DNC? Heck, how many people even know that right now? I don't remember anybody saying McCain lost Ohio in 2008 because the GOP didn't choose Cleveland for the convention. Cleveland was a finalist for that convention as well and nobody brought it up or considered that as a factor in any election. Sure, it would've been great for Cleveland to be chosen, but in the end, it won't make a difference come November 2012. I think we agree on that

Old 02-05-2011, 10:38 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,391 times
2016 would be better for C-town anyway because most of these big projects that are starting should be finishing up by then.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:25 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,173,361 times
Quote:
What makes you think Ohio was so crucial besides the fact that you live here? I'm sorry but I think you are looking at this from a home bias. Obama won going away. Even if he lost Ohio, he would've won comfortably. It was a landslide election. Important, yes, but the Dems did just as well in NC as in OH and the win in NC was probably more important since most people consider NC a "red state." The Dems took the governorship and a Senate seat that year as well in NC. There are more Democrats in congress from NC than in OH. Unlike in OH where Dem congressman went down left and right, only one Dem lost in NC even though the GOP targeted several others.
No, I'm looking at it from a historical bias. Since 1964, no president has won the election without winning Ohio. Combining that with the fact that Ohio is trending towards the GOP than NC lends even more to my argument.

Quote:
I think making any predictions is foolhardy. Should we look at back at the past? In 1994, the Dems were declared dead. In 1996, Clinton won handily.
And, guess which state he won? It wasn't NC.

Quote:
In 2004, most people predicted there was no way Bush would win, but he did.
In 2004, Kerry was the clear underdog.

Quote:
In 2007, Hillary Clinton was practically given the future nomination, but lost in the 2008 primary to a relative political newcomer.
In 2008, John McCain was broke, floundering and declared dead - he came back and won the primary. In 2008 Republicans laughed when Obama's team suggested he could win in VA, NC, OH, IN and CO, yet he did. In 2009, Democrats laughed when Republicans said they could win Ted Kennedy's seat - but the Republicans did. In 2010, Republicans all but guaranteed that Harry Reid would lose. Not only did Reid win, he garnered 55% of the vote. In 2008, Republicans were considered a dying minority, and now people think they can't be stopped just two years later.
And, this has what to do with Ohio's presidential trending?

Quote:
Bottom line, politics move rapidly. A convention won't matter. How many people in November 2012 will even remember that Cleveland was a finalist for the DNC? Heck, how many people even know that right now? I don't remember anybody saying McCain lost Ohio in 2008 because the GOP didn't choose Cleveland for the convention. Cleveland was a finalist for that convention as well and nobody brought it up or considered that as a factor in any election. Sure, it would've been great for Cleveland to be chosen, but in the end, it won't make a difference come November 2012. I think we agree on that
It's pretty obvious that you don't really understand how this all works. Where the RNC/DNC is held has a clear impact on the number of voters who show up and vote. If it didn't, they would host it in the same place every year.

If the vote in OH is close, it will all come down to Cuyahoga County. If the people in the county show up, the Democrat in question will win. If the DNC was held here, the base would be more energized. It's really that simple. In the last 2 presidential elections, huge rallies were held in Downtown Cleveland within days of the election for the same reason. Apparently, the DNC believes that this will again be enough. Unless the economy is in great shape in 2012, it's going to take a bit more than that.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:26 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,173,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
2016 would be better for C-town anyway because most of these big projects that are starting should be finishing up by then.
Possibly. But, who knows if we'll even be considered.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:32 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,498 times
Quote:
I think there's little debate that Ohio is one of the five most important states when it comes to Presidential elections. It's a very purple state with almost 20 electoral votes. It's not home bias, though I am proud that my state plays an important role in electing the most powerful man on the planet.

One other thought: Ohio is a bellwether. If Obama had lost Ohio, he would not have won North Carolina. It just wouldn't have been possible.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:49 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
To say Ohio is not important to the election is pretty ridiculous. There is a reason they make a big deal when it comes to voting in states like Florida and Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland