Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 09:29 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,673,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
I know, right? Half of his post bashing the city makes references to the 1980s. He also said that he hasn't lived here in 30 years. Methinks that maybe he hasn't even been here since the 1980s, which would explain all of those ridiculous references.
And MEthinks he's a sanctimonious, unfunny jabroni, whose post is rife with heavy-handed stereotypes and unwarranted disdain

In all seriousness, thank you for taking the time to dismantle that post piece by piece and expose it for the whinefest it was...

And in plain English---if he doesn't like the area, and lives here, then by all means, shut the hell up and leave...I'm sure U-Haul has a special 'unfunny jabroni' rate just for folks like him, and those of us who like the area (sidebar--I'm Cleveland born and raised, and although I live in SW Ohio now, Cleveland is HOME) will pack you a box lunch, pat your little head, and send you on your way with a one-way map and a hearty kick in the pants

If you are making these observations from afar, with the pseudo-smugness of one who used to live here and 'escaped', as it were, then stay where you are and keep that smugness comin'---from a distance...there's more than enough whining and bitching in the world that your tales of Purgato---oops Cleveland, are just plain mosquito-bite annoying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 07:38 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,609,306 times
Captain and Clevelander, we need more people like you on this forum. Great posts from both of you. It amazes me how lazy people are about their ideas of Cleveland. One of the most underrated cities in the country. No offense to Detroit, but in many ways, it deserves the rep it gets. Cleveland on the other hand, when you offer what it has from museums, parks, a diverse economy, an amazing medical field, nice urban neighborhoods, etc. People are just too lazy to look into and do some research, and go off peoples' opinions. Pathetic!!!! The really pathetic thing is, half the people who bash it have never even been there.

Cleveland is so underrated, it's not even funny.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:19 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,846,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander17 View Post
i might feel the same way as caleb about culture if i lived in city whose most noted cultural event is freaknik.
lol!!!!

Old 08-12-2010, 10:00 AM

77,855 posts, read 60,016,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
10 Worst Places to Live

One of the reasons they chose Cleveland was the weather. There are alot of places with even worse weather; Buffalo, Fairbanks, etc.
Some people need to make other areas look as bad as possible so they can rationalize why paying $2500 a month for an apartment or 9k a year in property taxes on a 350k house which is a POS is "worth it".

Well, at least they live near the beach even though they go once a year or are near all the great things to do in say...NY....even though they can't actually afford to do them.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:20 PM

420 posts, read 1,038,170 times
Hey the original post was from a site metioning Forbes stating Cleveland is No. 2
( you think I am going to mention the No. 2 spot no way )When Forbes first stated this a couple of years ago I did look into the orgins of this company , did some
research , old school hate here . Just like John D. Rockerfellow got mad at the
city and went to N.Y. they kissed his a-- , a Rockerfellow Park was born there.
I do not have time to restart my search , because i got to walk to the beach,
I got the air on , but nothing like a Lake Erie breeze on a hot summer day, and watch the sun set with Lakewood's Gold Coast in the distance into Lake Erie so
pretty to see it sink down past the horizon
Cleveland is hot , that is all that is needed

Old 08-12-2010, 05:59 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,609,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydudeallover View Post
Hey the original post was from a site metioning Forbes stating Cleveland is No. 2
( you think I am going to mention the No. 2 spot no way )When Forbes first stated this a couple of years ago I did look into the orgins of this company , did some
research , old school hate here . Just like John D. Rockerfellow got mad at the
city and went to N.Y. they kissed his a-- , a Rockerfellow Park was born there.
I do not have time to restart my search , because i got to walk to the beach,
I got the air on , but nothing like a Lake Erie breeze on a hot summer day, and watch the sun set with Lakewood's Gold Coast in the distance into Lake Erie so
pretty to see it sink down past the horizon
Cleveland is hot , that is all that is needed
Did you take in the skyline views from Edgewater?

Old 08-22-2010, 08:18 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,207,385 times
Default Back at ya'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
The weather here is not much worse than any other part of the Northeast or Great Lakes region. In fact, the whole weather discussion is purely subjective. Many folks would say that the four or five months of summer in the Southeast, Atlanta included, are terrible. Extremely high temps and high humidity? Thanks, I'll pass.

Check out the humidity ratings. Current year notwithstanding, the humidity in Northern Ohio actually rivals that of North Georgia. Surprised? Go check it out on Google. In contrast, I'll take the 3 or 4 months of hot weather than the 6 of cold. I did grow up there, both my parents are buried there and yes, I do know Cleveland, Akron and Canton quite well...not a perception, I did live there....for 10 years and have visited on and off for the last 30 years....

Roads are bad, indeed. Comes with the cold weather. Now if only we got weather subsidies for these problems from the Federal government like people in the Southeast do every time they get nailed by a big hurricane.

Yep, roads ARE bad up there. Can't speak much about Hurricanes. Check your geography, we are fairly far inland here.....no subsidies but, hey, if you know of some, let me know....

No, I don't know anyone here who still listens to those forms of media, and I'm sure you don't, either. Why the need to be so hyperbolic?

Spend more time in East Cleveland and East Akron, you'll find a few...they usually work "at the plant"....."at the plant" meaning, some innocuous job soon to be in China.....hyperbolic? tongue-in-cheek humor??? just throoowing it out there....don't defend it so hard...it only proves my point...

Winter does not last six months, and unlike the South, we do have four FULL seasons here. Winter can be a bit dreary, but Spring and Fall are as pretty in parts of Northeast Ohio as in any other part of the country.

Yeah, I recall all four seasons.....I was actually in downtown Cleveland 8 years ago in early June....and it was 57 degrees at noon and windy....unbelieveable...that aside...let's get the AVERAGE seasons down...shall we??? Hmmmmmmm, Spring from roughly late April to late May.....(in like a Lion, out like a Lamb ring a bell???, Summer, June through mid-September, when it isn't raining....Fall? Mid-September through the end of October....all the rest? Frickin' cold and colder....but hey, don't take my word for it...Google it....It's in the top 50 cities for the LEAST amount of Sunny days....it's probably just me and living there for 10 years has nothing to do with it.....you are defending the indefeneable....

Yes, we never see sunshine and are very confused when we see the sun when it comes out the one or two days a year that it makes its appearance.

Seems like it.....don't it? (stab at southern humor for your undefined benefit)

Poor attempt at poetry. Don't quit your day job. As for Cleveland, sure it has some decay, as many older cities do, but it also has some tremendous architecture that is unparalleled by almost any city in the Southeast.

Poetry, never saw it coming....that's okay, my humor seems to return more positives than negatives....again, like Kucinich....don't let the facts get in the way!

Generalize much? I've heard outsiders say that Clevelanders are very friendly. Guess it's all your point of view.

Yeah, I remember all their warmth and charm throughout the last 40 years....such a nice bunch....so much so that the show COPS never seems to miss a broadcast up your way, usurped only by the episodes in Broward County, South Florida.....sigh....

Happens everywhere, unfortunately. When was the last time you heard about it/saw it happen in Cleveland?

Nahhhhhhh, Cleveland and Detroit used to vie for the murder capital of the country back in the 70's when Big Chuck and Hoolihan and Dr. Dimento were all the rage....unfortunately, it' hasn't improved all that much....now has it? True, tied to employment, or unemployment as this case may be, but it is, what it is????

Quite a few unemployed people wear wifebeaters in Atlanta, too.

Got that right, they seem to make a living out of it....good news is that at least the girls are at least pretty (MOST of the time) and the *** in the wifebeater never fails to deliver a resounding level of content and humor along the way....have to love them for that.....up there? Ahhh, they just smack the crap out of them and she tends to dissappear for years....

Judging by most of your comments here, one might assume that you haven't been to the area since the 1980s, which might explain why you think everyone still has hairstyles like that.

Was there 3 years ago.....hard to believe it still existed....at all.....that, coupled with a nice, tasty cigarette hanging out of there mouth and you almost thought you were in Jersey....

Silly generalization.

Yes, you do, because without elaborating, people might get the impression that you have no idea what you're talking about. Not everyone drinks that here. We have one of the best regional breweries (Great Lakes Brewing Company) in the country, and it's wildly popular at the local bars.

I'm happy for all of you....

This isn't entirely true, look at the eastern suburbs for diversity.

This is a problem in most older cities, especially now.

True, God knows we have our level of decay, however, the North seems to have a nice, grungy film all it's own....a nice drive in say, a 5 mile radius of downtown rivals ANYTHING I've seen ANYWHERE over the last 30 years.....ahhhh, Harvard Ave.....the Steel Plants.....just as run down as I remember them....with 30 more years of wear and tear to prove it....

I did move away and move back, and although it's not perfect, no place is, and the city's reputation is completely undeserved. Cleveland is only an easy target for lazy people who refuse to look more closely at things.
Cleveland is an easy target all by itself. Second only to trying to defend Detroit. Skip the exercise. It isn't selling. It's not an attack or an indictment on the people. I still have quite a few friends in the area and the work ethic is better than most. However, you can't quite put it as one of the top destinations of major metros in the US me thinks. That would be quite a stretch.....

Have a sense of humor. In the South, they have a good healthy dose of tongue-in-cheek humor for things Southern and people don't take it nearly as seriously.....perhaps you should try seeing it through those eyes for a bit....

Curious, did they EVER finish the roadways around Cleveland Hopkins? It's only been 30 years....just wondering....

Old 08-22-2010, 08:24 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,207,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Anyone who goes to that length to bash anything is one of two things: 1.) an ignorant parrot 2.) a complete idiot. Just another in the long list of ex-pats whose life is rife with failure and bad decisions lashing out incoherently at a city which neither deserves nor cares about his criticisms.
I bashed it for a reason. It deserves it. No failure here my friend. I probably never could have achieved a level of success I did down here had I stayed up there. And yes, it's current. Other than a funeral for my last living parent, there has been no reason to go back since 2007.

Maybe it's me but, if there had been that much of a draw, dontcha' think I might have actually gone back to enjoy all it has to offer?

Not ignorant if it's true, lived, and measured by those that did in fact, give it a whirl.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:43 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,612,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
I bashed it for a reason. It deserves it. No failure here my friend. I probably never could have achieved a level of success I did down here had I stayed up there. And yes, it's current. Other than a funeral for my last living parent, there has been no reason to go back since 2007.

Maybe it's me but, if there had been that much of a draw, dontcha' think I might have actually gone back to enjoy all it has to offer?

Not ignorant if it's true, lived, and measured by those that did in fact, give it a whirl.
I'm more successful here than I was in Washington DC, career wise that is. Need I bash Washington DC for not giving me the success I've achieved here?

Basically, the level of success you achieve is dependent on a number of variables and is completely relevant to the individual.

Sorry you couldn't be successful up here, but plenty of us are. But dang, if I was successful up here and you weren't, how much more successful could I be in your neck of the woods?! Maybe I will move there.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:57 AM

329 posts, read 697,223 times
I'm from Cincinnati which basically Cleveland's main enemy when it comes to attracting more people to the city. Both cities definitely have poor and nice areas, but the first post about Cleveland being one of the worst to live in i'm sorry to say is accurate. Here's my take.

It was a clear day, no wait in Cleveland the sun is blocked out most of the year, and i was driving along Interstate 71 towards the city center on my way to Niagara Falls and -bump- oh **** pothole -bump- -bump- "damn do they care for roads here?" is all i could say. I looked out the window of my car to see slums and poorly planned highway layouts for future widening due to the fact that the sound walls, wait nevermind the highway was in a ditch with walls on each side with ghetto's on top. Wait, not like they need to widen 71 there was only 5 people in my line of sight the whole time driving, must all live in the suburbs since the city looks depressed. -BUMP- oh crap! I looked ahead to see the cities skyline? wtf? a couple of buildings? is this cleveland? -BUMP- POTHOLE!!! i arrived and downtown cleveland was in front of me, i forget what street it was but it was under construction since 5 years before i had come, wow. "DAMNIT HOMELESS MAN GET AWAY FROM MY CAR" -light turns green- phew... Hey look, why does everyone walking around here look like they just came from a bar or strip club? Don't mind it. -BUMP-

I finally left, that place scared the **** out of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland