Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:03 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times

Advertisements

10 Worst Places to Live

One of the reasons they chose Cleveland was the weather. There are alot of places with even worse weather; Buffalo, Fairbanks, etc.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 08-05-2010 at 10:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 11:00 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,817 times
I think Forbes branding us hurt the most. It put us to the front in these random city rankings.

This quote pisses me off the most: "high unemployment (although at 9.1% it's below the national average)" How is it high then if it's not even at the national average?? It's like their looking for bad things to say!

I'll just never understand...between the LOW cost of living, the sports and cultural amenities available, year-round events, and four very different season...I love it here.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:02 AM

However, Cleveland has made some positive rankings lately, including from Travel and Leisure:

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...on-travel.html

Old 08-05-2010, 11:50 AM

142 posts, read 354,900 times
Eh, most of the article isn't wrong. The only issue I have with it is the unemployment rate criticism, as pointed out earlier, though the employment in the city isn't exactly prospering either.

The rest of the criticisms are spot on. However, certain ones, like weather and sports, aren't very important to some people.

Sadly, the article doesn't even touch on some of Cleveland's worst problems (poverty, crime, development, education, etc).

Old 08-05-2010, 12:06 PM

97 posts, read 238,503 times
The people who pick on Cleveland are known to be haters. Cleveland may have one of the worse NFL team, betrayal of the LBJ star, and a shaky Baseball team. Look at what it does has though; Lake Erie. WIth that, Cleveland has all the class in the world.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:24 PM

Who is this author and what is this website anyway?

Honestly, the article is no better than the rankings of cities people give on the City Data gereral forum.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:45 PM

458 posts, read 1,222,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Who is this author and what is this website anyway?

Honestly, the article is no better than the rankings of cities people give on the City Data gereral forum.
I would rep you if they let me, but I have to spread the love first haha. The article is poorly written.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:12 PM

269 posts, read 778,563 times
Forbes doesn't take away my love for Cleveland.
And oh yeah, I almost forgot, I agree! Forbes seems to have some hate in their blood for Cleveland. I don't even take them seriously anyway.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:02 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
I have read the article several times myself now, and I have realized that most of their comments are true of most cities today. The unemployment is actually below national average, so for them to even mention that was petty. The weather, as I said there are at least a dozen cities with worst winters and just about every city in the south has worst summers, so count this as a poor, cheap shot. As for losing people that again is common in the midwest these days. As for the sports teams, I don't watch sports and judging a city by them seems stupid to me, and the fact they have a good fan base proves that Clevelanders are loyal fans.

What I see when I read that article was a few cheap shots at one glaring truth about Cleveland. The one thing that will keep putting the city on lists like this is all the political corruption. It is what is killing development, increasing crime and ruining the schools. It has a negative impact on all aspects of life in the city and gives the city a bad name to the rest of the nation. I think it's time for those who claim to love Cleveland to do something about it. Form groups to try to get people who really care on the city council. Help pick and run someone for real change for mayor. Your choice is to work to make things better or get used to making more worst ten lists.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:20 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
10 Worst Places to Live

One of the reasons they chose Cleveland was the weather. There are alot of places with even worse weather; Buffalo, Fairbanks, etc.
Both those cities would rank higher if they were larger. Cleveland is still in the top 50 largest cities... for now. Neither of them are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland