Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 03:51 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,488,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom11011 View Post
$17 million is an impressive number, but we know that figure will baloon to double that, like it always does in Ohio. Then, nobody will ride it and it will operate at a staggering loss.

"During nearly 50 years of no passenger rail service along the 3C route in Ohio, the pent-up demand of ridership supporters claim is there, has not made itself known."
LaHood to Kasich: high-speed train funds only for Ohio's slow-speed 3C train - Columbus Government | Examiner.com
I'd hardly call even $34 million a "staggering loss" when compared with the billions spent on roads and highways each year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 04:13 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,173,361 times
Ohio Releases Faster 3C Rail Schedule | NBC 4i

"President Barack Obama in January awarded Ohio $400 million in stimulus money for a startup rail service connecting Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati with trains reaching 79 mph by late 2012 or 2013. It is one of 13 stimulus-funded passenger rail projects in the U.S."

"About 6 million people live along the Cleveland-to-Cincinnati corridor, making it one of the most heavily populated corridors without rail service in the Midwest. Private train service on the corridor ended in 1971."

Old 11-20-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom11011 View Post
$17 million is an impressive number, but we know that figure will baloon to double that, like it always does in Ohio. Then, nobody will ride it and it will operate at a staggering loss.

"During nearly 50 years of no passenger rail service along the 3C route in Ohio, the pent-up demand of ridership supporters claim is there, has not made itself known."
LaHood to Kasich: high-speed train funds only for Ohio's slow-speed 3C train - Columbus Government | Examiner.com
"In a letter Tuesday addressed to Republican Governor-elect John Kasich, President Obama's director of transportation, Ray LaHood, told Ohio's new governor that none of the $400 million awarded to Ohio out of the $8 billion dedicated to high-speed rail (HSR) projects across the nation could be spent for anything other than high-speed rail."

I'd say this conversation has been rendered moot. Either spend it or give it back so another state can spend it. Go ahead John, give it back. Maybe we can fund the "better" idea with a statewide income tax cut.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:47 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
It wouldn't be 39mph , thats outrageous.....more like 60mph.
What about with all of the stops in podunk towns?

I can drive faster than 60mph.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:26 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,488,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post

What is the average speed of driving from Cleveland to Columbus, Dayton, and then Cincinnati? If you don't break any laws, it's less than 60 mph.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:13 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
Quote:

It takes me 45-50 mins to Travel 21 miles form Westwood,NJ to Hoboken,NJ , there are 10 stations. Takes about 1-3 mins at each station , although this is a commuter line everything is rush rush. Amtrak outside the NEC is more can be up to 5 mins. My line does go faster then 40mph on average except in Hackensack were there limited to 30mph which adds about 10 mins onto the journey. The last 6 miles is an average of 60mph. It takes longer in the Morning , but its takes less in the evening that goes for every line for some reason.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
What is the average speed of driving from Cleveland to Columbus, Dayton, and then Cincinnati? If you don't break any laws, it's less than 60 mph.
First of all, if I were driving from Cleveland to Cincinnati, I probably wouldn't be going through Dayton. But even still, I disagree, that it could be done at an average faster than 60 MPH, but the speed limits on most freeways here are 65 MPH. Factor in the fact that most cops won't bother you if you go up to 75 MPH, and you can do it much more quickly by freeway. That's to say nothing of cost, which depending on car, would likely come out tol less than $20.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
It takes me 45-50 mins to Travel 21 miles form Westwood,NJ to Hoboken,NJ , there are 10 stations. Takes about 1-3 mins at each station , although this is a commuter line everything is rush rush. Amtrak outside the NEC is more can be up to 5 mins. My line does go faster then 40mph on average except in Hackensack were there limited to 30mph which adds about 10 mins onto the journey. The last 6 miles is an average of 60mph. It takes longer in the Morning , but its takes less in the evening that goes for every line for some reason.
I'm not going to debate about the efficacy of having rail in the Northeast. It makes sense there, even with many stops.

Ohio needs to cut it down to five stops: Cleveland to Akron (yes, it belongs on the list) to Columbus to Dayton to Cincinnati. But of course due to politics, that won't happen.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:50 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
Quote:
I'm not going to debate about the efficacy of having rail in the Northeast. It makes sense there, even with many stops.

Ohio needs to cut it down to five stops: Cleveland to Akron (yes, it belongs on the list) to Columbus to Dayton to Cincinnati. But of course due to politics, that won't happen.
Maybe you should operate using a 2 tiered system. Express trains would stop at only the cities and local trains would stop at everything. We do that on every line and it works just fine.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:

Not every train has to make every stop. Ever heard of an express train?

Quote:
First of all, if I were driving from Cleveland to Cincinnati, I probably wouldn't be going through Dayton. But even still, I disagree, that it could be done at an average faster than 60 MPH, but the speed limits on most freeways here are 65 MPH. Factor in the fact that most cops won't bother you if you go up to 75 MPH, and you can do it much more quickly by freeway. That's to say nothing of cost, which depending on car, would likely come out tol less than $20.
$20? I'm sure glad you're not my accountant. Try $110 each way, minimum. You see, there's more cost to driving than just gasoline.

I highly doubt that you're going to make a 4 hour road trip without ever stopping. And, the only way you're maintaining an average of 60 MPH on a long road trip is on the weekend without stopping. The last time I did the Cleveland - Cincy round trip, I averaged 54 MPH with stops included. That was a Saturday-Sunday round trip.

Quote:

Once again, ever heard of an express train?

Either way, this isn't about what the line starts as, it's what it will end up as. The intent is clearly to improve this as time goes on. If we don't start here, we'll just fall farther behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland