Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 09:42 PM

708 posts, read 1,814,362 times

Advertisements

I've lived in cleveland for over 35 years and have never been to columbus...Heard a lot of people talk about how nice it is, how bad it is, ect, ect....Just curious about homes, schools (elementary), stores and so forth.....anyone have any opinion?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 11:25 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,414,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa12230 View Post
I've lived in cleveland for over 35 years and have never been to columbus...Heard a lot of people talk about how nice it is, how bad it is, ect, ect....Just curious about homes, schools (elementary), stores and so forth.....anyone have any opinion?????
Each city has it's perks and I really wouldn't mind living in either.

A lot of people on C-D look down on Columbus because most of it's growth is newer and thus primarily suburban sprawl. It's urban core is less appealing to many of the posters here.

On the flip side, a lot of people on C-D rip on Cleveland because of it's weaker job market.

Columbus certainly has the better job market, but if you can find a job in Cleveland I think it's a much more attractive city. That's just my opinion.

Columbus lacks any kind of "identity." On the contrary, Cleveland has a very rich cultural history that many across the country can identify with.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:38 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times
It's all about water for me.
Personally the thing about Cleveland is Lake Erie.
I wouldn't live anywhere in Ohio, except here. It isn't a joke that this is America's "North Coast". There's a real coastline over there. Just 4 blocks from me now. Having grown up here, I simply must have water access wherever I live. Cleveland ruined me for that. I have a lot less respect for most cities simply because of that. (On the flip side, even more respect for cities on coasts, like Buffalo & Detroit).

I have a few friends in Columbus. We tease each other a lot. I give them a hard time about the Scioto River. It has so many damns in it that it is practically useless. You can't canoe or row or boat anywhere on it. Beautiful river right downtown and you can't even use it. It might be cleaner then ours (people swim in it) but it's basically dead. Just nice to look at. I can take the Cuyahoga from Lake Erie out to St Rte 422!

Toledo is my second favorite Ohio City. Cincy is #3 (the Ohio River is gorgeous), then Columbus.

Toledo:

Old 11-12-2010, 09:25 AM

35 posts, read 64,434 times
I personally have always favored Columbus. In my opinion it always seems cleaner, more friendly, and way more alive. There are things to do in both cities, but I find that if I am not in a crowd I am not comfortable walking downtown in Cleveland at night. In Columbus I feel safer. There are (WAY) less panhandlers in Columbus, and tons of shopping (if thats what you're into!). The homes are a bit more pricy in Columbus, but usually for good reason. The entire city seems more kept-up to me, so it is worth the extra money. And hey -- Ohio State is there!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I have a few friends in Columbus. We tease each other a lot. I give them a hard time about the Scioto River. It has so many damns in it that it is practically useless. You can't canoe or row or boat anywhere on it. Beautiful river right downtown and you can't even use it. It might be cleaner then ours (people swim in it) but it's basically dead.
And actually, I have spent many long days on the Scioto River wakeboarding. You can go pretty far in either direction. It is so clean and well kept. I went down to the Ohio River about two years ago and I wouldn't get in to board. The water literally smelled like sewage. Kindof like how I remember parts of Erie smelling. Yikes.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:35 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,414,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
It's all about water for me.
Personally the thing about Cleveland is Lake Erie.
I wouldn't live anywhere in Ohio, except here. It isn't a joke that this is America's "North Coast".
You make a really good point about water access. Columbus is just too damn landlocked for me. Growing up on the North Coast makes living near water a necessity.

If I ever leave Cleveland for another city, it has to be either on the East Coast or on a Great lake. A river just doesn't cut it for me.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:35 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarding_Chick View Post
And hey -- Ohio State is there!!
As opposed to the Indians, Cavs, Browns, Monsters and Vikings that we have? I love the Buckeyes as much as any Ohioan but it gets a bit much down there getting hit over the head everywhere you turn with BUCKEYES BUCKEYES BUCKEYES. I have heard more then one person comment on that.

Quote:
And actually, I have spent many long days on the Scioto River wakeboarding.
Well it must be a part I am not familiar with. I worked downtown for 2 weeks and my office had a good view of the river. That section right downtown has several damns in it not far apart rendering it pretty useless.

Quote:
I went down to the Ohio River about two years ago and I wouldn't get in to board. The water literally smelled like sewage. Kindof like how I remember parts of Erie smelling. Yikes.

Yea, maybe one part. Good thing we have literally hundreds of miles of shoreline up here to play on as opposed to one dinky little river.

And you can't really blame the Ohio Rover for being a bit dirty. It's a real working river that carries commerce.
Unlike Scioto.

//Edit// A buddy I work with lived in Columbus. He said if you get in the Scioto just south of Columbus you can take it to the Ohio River. Cool... but it's still just a river.

Signed;
The Lake Erie snob

hehehe

Old 11-12-2010, 10:53 AM

41 posts, read 73,969 times
I've lived in both cities, but ultimately chose Cleveland.

Columbus is ok. There are good and bad aspects of the city. For me, it boils down to most people there generally like, but don't love Columbus. Its the city without a soul.

Cleveland has its pros and cons for sure, but there are a lot of people in this town that profoundly love the Cleve. To me, that's the major difference between the two.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:33 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,210,366 times
Cleveland overall, because of the lake, there is more to do there, and it has more character and culture. Not sure how people say that Columbus has a better downtown or shopping - that is simple not true. Being in college in Columbus I'm sure is pretty cool though, and the Short North area might be the best city neighborhood in the state.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:03 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,311,652 times
IMHO Columbus is healthier economically and has done a better, more thorough job gentrifying and revitalizing some of its inner-city neighborhoods (German Village vs. Ohio City, etc.). But I'd say Cleveland has more culture and character and is more cosmopolitan and diverse; and, as others have mentioned, has the advantage of being on the lake. Columbus is basically a core small town area surrounded by miles and miles of sprawl, which makes it much more like a Sunbelt city, only without the good weather.

When I lived in Cleveland I used to get away to Columbus for long weekends at least a couple times a year, and I always enjoyed my visits, but after a couple of days would get bored and was ready to get back home to Cleveland again.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:33 PM

708 posts, read 1,814,362 times
i love it!!!!!! lol, because after long thoughts and prayers, Im still sticking with Shaker heights...I'm also a water person and Columbus just don't have any, lol.......My dad use to take me to Lake Erie and I loved it, and I miss that.....Thank you guys soooo much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland