Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 04:25 PM

8 posts, read 41,162 times

Advertisements

Hi to all,
Still trying to narrow this down to the year it happened. I-71 was built directly behind Kiddie Park and the park where she was found. Best I can find out is I-71 was being built in 1966. When it was started is anybody's guess. If Tennowens went from W.100 to the park you would have to go across where I-71 is now. Do you remember the car? In 1964 there were new ranch houses built on Terminal off W. 150 and there were still greenhouses benind that. Within I think 2 yrs. I-71 was started. If we can narrow down the year that would help greatly. To Tennowens if you can remember which house he lived in on W. 100 I can get the address and search the County records for owners information. I have checked with Cleveland and Brooklyn Pd for info. The Plain Dealer and Press are on Microfich at the main library. It would take months of research with out a month and a year. If we can just get the year..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 07:05 AM

Default Murder of a Nurse

Can anyone narrow it down to a year. All the reports are in the archives of the Police Depts. The Plain Dealer and the Press are on microfiche at the library but it would take months to go through it all. Sorry if this is a duplicate post. I don't think my prior posts made it.
Thanks.
Sue

Old 05-19-2008, 12:30 PM

6 posts, read 30,935 times
Thank you suethesaz for your help. I am hoping to get a week or so in the summer to come back to Cleveland and do some research myself.
I moved away in December of 1966. I-71 was had not been built at that time, at least not in my area.
We all lived at almost the end of West 100th st., toward Walford Ave. (West 100 is off Denison, which comes off Lorain). He lived in a house that I believe was next door to a corner market, which was vacant the last time I was there. The store was on the corner of Loretta and West 100. If I am not mistaken, he did live in the next house from the store. He had at least 2 younger sisters that I remember.
I lived a couple of blocks further, next house from the corner of West 100 and Curran.
I cannot give you the exact year, as my memory is hazy on that. But, as I said, I moved in 1966, and it had to have happend at least a year or two before then, because I remember that they had his trial and he was to spend a few years in juvy because of his age and then would be transferred to prison. We only lived there about 5 years, so I am guessing that it was 1964 or 1965. And I do believe that it was in the summer.
I know only that we called him Sonny, and again, I don't know if that was just a nickname or not.

Thank you TailoredMaid for your help, but I have already tried all of these. None of them go back far enough, or they are history way before.

Thanks again, all for your help. We will get it figured out sooner or later.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:56 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,860,829 times
call the plain dealer library 216-999-4800

Old 11-05-2008, 03:34 PM

110 posts, read 453,707 times
Default murder of nurse

Tennowens,

I have the information that you wanted. I don't know if you still check this forum.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:14 AM

6 posts, read 30,935 times
happyfeet888, I would appreciate the information very much. I do still check out this forum occassionally, but as you can see there have been no new posts until yours in quite some time. I was sent an email that told me of your post. I will be checking back later today and tomorrow for your information. Thank you so very much!

Old 11-06-2008, 08:41 AM

Hi and Thanks Happyfeet888. Like tennownes I check regularly and there haven't been any new posts. Very interested in what you have found out. It was great to receive an email that you found something. Thank you. Will keep on checking for info. Thank you again.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:24 PM

110 posts, read 453,707 times
Sonny had been released from jail and he recently died (choked in his sleep). Someone told me his last name, and but I have misplaced it. I'll post when I get it.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:32 PM

Default Murder of a Nurse in 1960

Well, everybody finally found all the information in the Plain Dealer archives at the main Library.

The most important person in this story is the victim Barbara Ann Ambrose a pretty bright 23 yr. old. Barbara was a surgical nurse who worked at Parma Community Hospital. She befriended her murder when he was a patient at the hospital. She agreed to meet with him on Tuesday, April 27, 1965 when she got off work at 10:30 p.m. The suspect had already stolen 2 cars from the parking lot at Parmatown that day and had consumed a couple of bottles of wine. Barbara Ann had an interest in psyciatry that went back to her student days at St. Elizabeth's Hosp. in Dayton. She had also graduated from Nazareth Academy in Parma Hgts. After leaving work with her murderer he took her to the parking lot of St. Ignatius school at West Blvd. and Lorain. Where he sexually assulted her and choked her. He then took her body to Kiddie Park on Memphis in Brooklyn and dumped her in the gravel parking lot. When Barbara Ann did not come home from work her mother reported her missing. Hopsital employee's told the Police who she was last seen with. Police were familiar with her murderer as he had already been incarcerated at TICO in Columbus, Ohio twice and was considered an escapee. He failed to return after being released for medical treatment in Cleveland. Wednesday around 8:00 pm he and a female companion led the Police on a high speed chase and were apprehended. He admitted to killing Barbara Ann.
The suspect is Frank Burdel Jr. 16 yrs old of 3488 W. 100 St. He was bound over and tried as an adult. He first started getting into trouble in 1961. Though his fall from a bicycle when he was 13 scarred the right side of his face is blamed for causing his emotional issues. His psyciatrist stated since the injury kids made fun of him, he couldn't get a girlfriend and people would stare at him. Though he was not diagnosed at psychotic his Dr. did state he showed aggression and was immature. He was was allowed to leave TICO to have additional surgery done on his face. I have not been able to find a death certificate on him. I do know in the mid to late 1980's he was living on the west side of Cleveland and he had a sister. I have to make another trip to the library to get the trial information as all I know is he was tried as an adult. It took two days of searching with a retired Cleveland Police Det. to get all this info from the news articles. I will make another post when I get the information.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:33 PM

436 posts, read 1,640,635 times
Just out of curiosity, if he did, in fact, pass away already - and this happened so so long ago...then why the concern and information upheaval?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland