U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 04:52 PM

6 posts, read 25,659 times

Advertisements

Hi. I moved from Cleveland in 1966 when I was 13. I remember about a nurse who was murdered by a youth from my neighborhood. All I remember was that his nickname was Sonny and he lived on West 100th street. He had been a patient of the doctor she worked for and had some sort of a procedure and shortly thereafter he kidnapped her and then murdered her.
Can anyone help me with this? This has been on my mind for many years and I really want to get some answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 06:15 PM

688 posts, read 2,797,635 times
Hmmm - try contacting the library's reference department. They may be able to provide you with information from the newspapers at the time.

Cleveland Public Library: General Reference (broken link)

Old 07-18-2007, 01:58 PM

110 posts, read 411,428 times
Default murder

Hi!
Did you ever find out about the murder? I also remember this murder well, and I know that my mother would remember the name. I remember that the body was found at Kiddieland. I'll ask her next time we talk.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:19 PM

Thank you nlschno for your advice. However, I have already tried that and was told that I live too far away for them to help me.

Thank you happyfeet888. I would greatly appreciate it if you could find some info on this for me. This has been bugging me for years. I can't quite seem to get it off my mind.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:35 PM

110 posts, read 411,428 times
Default murder

I talked to my mom yesterday, and she could not remember the last name of the murderer. I do know that he is out of jail and still lives in the Cleveland area.

Happy Feet

Old 04-26-2008, 01:12 PM

8 posts, read 34,471 times
Dear tennowens,
I have been trying for a while to get info on this. As I remember it the suspect kidnapped the nurse from a Drs. office at Deconess Hosp. She was taken to the park, now part of the Metroparks system next to Kiddiepark in Brooklyn on Memphis Ave. The person convicted of this crime was a juvenile at the time and is out of jail or was a few years ago. He allegedly raped his sister but I do not know the outcome of that case. I have tried to get the suspects name for years. Last I knew he did live in the First District. If you have found any further information can you let me know.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:46 PM

Dear suethesaz,
I have been unable to find out much more that I stated in my first post. However, I do know that he was called "Sonny", but I don't know if that was just a nickname or not. I suppect it was.
He lived on West 100th street at the time, with his parents. I don't know if that is in the First District now or not, it's been quite a while since I lived in Cleveland. I did live on the same street, a block and a half down from him.
I know he was a minor, but I believe he was 18 or 19 at the time, maybe 20.
On the morning of the murder my friends and I were walking to the park by way of the railroad tracks and we happened upon Sonny's car parked on a wooded lane beside the tracks. As young kids we were all in awe of Sonny, he was a teenager, a greaser, and drove what we considered a souped up car. We would always yell at him as he drove by and pestered him every chance we got. When we saw his car parked there that morning we were sure that he was there with a girl and were going to sneak up on the car and knock on the window then run away. As we got close to the car we saw it move and ran back to the tracks. I looked back and believe that I saw Sonny looking at us from the rear window. Later that day when we got back home we saw Sonny driving around our block several times, very slowly. Then all of the sudden there were police cars everywhere and he took off up the street where they eventually caught him. We had no idea at the time what was going on and our mothers were talking about it the next day. Naturally we did not disclose our little escapade with our parents.
I have always wondered if he actually did see us and if that is why he was driving around the block so many times like he did.
I guess this is why I have never been able to get this out of my mind. I would very much like to get more details about this case.
If anyone could help I would sure appreciate it.
Thank you.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:54 PM

8 posts, read 34,471 times
Default Brooklyn Murder

Dear Tennowens.
Are you able to narrow down the year this happened or even the time of the year. If my memory is right the weather was warm and we were probably out of school. I remember walking up to the park to look around. I contacted the public library and they do have the Press and Plain Dealer on microfich???? but it would take months to go over everything without a year. I have made a public records request to the Cleveland PD and Brooklyn PD. The area he lived in would have been the First District and after his release from prison he did live with his parents again. Do you remember if he had any other brothers and sisters? People I have talked to remember him but cannot put a name to him. Do you remember what house he lived in on W.100? If you can remember the house at all I can check the property records. Even if I can drive by and get an address it would help. Didn't he live off of Lorain? Where in the neighborhood did you live? Was I-71 built yet? If you went from W.100 over the tracks I-71 probably was not built yet. I was in grade school until 1966 and I-71 was being built then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennowens View Post
Dear suethesaz,
I have been unable to find out much more that I stated in my first post. However, I do know that he was called "Sonny", but I don't know if that was just a nickname or not. I suppect it was.
He lived on West 100th street at the time, with his parents. I don't know if that is in the First District now or not, it's been quite a while since I lived in Cleveland. I did live on the same street, a block and a half down from him.
I know he was a minor, but I believe he was 18 or 19 at the time, maybe 20.
On the morning of the murder my friends and I were walking to the park by way of the railroad tracks and we happened upon Sonny's car parked on a wooded lane beside the tracks. As young kids we were all in awe of Sonny, he was a teenager, a greaser, and drove what we considered a souped up car. We would always yell at him as he drove by and pestered him every chance we got. When we saw his car parked there that morning we were sure that he was there with a girl and were going to sneak up on the car and knock on the window then run away. As we got close to the car we saw it move and ran back to the tracks. I looked back and believe that I saw Sonny looking at us from the rear window. Later that day when we got back home we saw Sonny driving around our block several times, very slowly. Then all of the sudden there were police cars everywhere and he took off up the street where they eventually caught him. We had no idea at the time what was going on and our mothers were talking about it the next day. Naturally we did not disclose our little escapade with our parents.
I have always wondered if he actually did see us and if that is why he was driving around the block so many times like he did.
I guess this is why I have never been able to get this out of my mind. I would very much like to get more details about this case.
If anyone could help I would sure appreciate it.
Thank you.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:25 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,883,545 times
Perhaps these links will aid in your search. I am copying and pasting from a website pertaining to Cleveland history:

Local & State History

Old 05-12-2008, 03:31 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,883,545 times
Digging further, I found this:

The Cleveland Press Collection

It's the archives of the Cleveland Press. Have you tried this yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland