Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 01:35 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,535,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali1976 View Post
Because I have kids, I have to chime in on this one. Do not live near CSU. It is ghetto, and while the murder rate in Cleveland might be down, there is plenty of risk of armed robbery, assault, rape, and any other heinous crime committed by various gang member or vagrant low lifes who roam around downtown. If you want to attend CSU, choose for your family to live in beachwood or beyond, and commute to school during the day. Otherwise, strongly consider a school in a small college town, or a safer urban area
That's what I did when I went to CSU. Commuted from the eastside. That being said, I know some college kids that live very close to campus on Euclid ave that have not had any issues for the last 3 years other than getting asked for money by the bums, but why take a chance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 07:10 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,203 times
Quote:
Because I have kids, I have to chime in on this one. Do not live near CSU. It is ghetto, and while the murder rate in Cleveland might be down, there is plenty of risk of armed robbery, assault, rape, and any other heinous crime committed by various gang member or vagrant low lifes who roam around downtown. If you want to attend CSU, choose for your family to live in beachwood or beyond, and commute to school during the day. Otherwise, strongly consider a school in a small college town, or a safer urban area
Please continue to post your uninformed generalities. It really makes you look intelligent. There is always a safety risk living in cities, no matter where you are, from New York, LA, but many have decided that living in a bustling urban area with excellent dining and entertainment options outweighs those risks. People use street smarts, stay to well populated areas at night, carry pepper spray if it makes them feel better. I moved from the suburbs to a gentrifying area of Collinwood, that's still rough around the edges. I got a security system, and am considering getting a gun just in case (though there's relatively little violent crime in that area). But, to me, living with that risk is worth it to be part of a city neighborhood, where I can walk to a concert venue, restaurants, grocery store, art galleries, library, beach, recreation center, etc., and where I feel like I can get involved and make a difference for people and a city that really needs help.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:52 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
A lot of people live by CSU these days. It's not a ghetto.

Please inform yourself before posting.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:32 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,275,861 times
CSU's residential enrollment is actually growing and notice the apartment "boom" around that area. That said, I think the point that Cali was trying to make is that the area may not be the best choice for those with families--and I'd agree. I think it's find for individual students, but I wouldn't recommend it for families.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:36 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,374,141 times
Quote:
such bs. beechwood and beyond ?

Old 01-04-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
such bs. beechwood and beyond ?
Lock your car doors and watch your back when you're rollin' through the 'Wood. Avoid Friday nights in the area at all costs- Orthodox Jew gangs run the streets the whole weekend. Not for the faint of heart.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:56 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,535,581 times
One thing that the CSU administration needs to do is something about all the people asking for money around the campus. Have a little pride in your university and make strong efforts to stop this sort of thing. I've heard stories of fraternities putting pennies in boiling water and dropping the pennies out the window. Homeless would pick them up, burn their fingers, and the situation would escalate from there. A shame that the students have to resort to such things since the administration appears to have deaf ears.

Thankfully CSU has managed to successfully not make the "Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video: 2nd Attemp" video on youtube.

OP, you should check this video out before making any decisions. Mike Polk knows what's up with Cleveland. Feel free to check it out.

As a former alumni, I'm thankful CSU was left out of the videos.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:53 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,275,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
One thing that the CSU administration needs to do is something about all the people asking for money around the campus. Have a little pride in your university and make strong efforts to stop this sort of thing. I've heard stories of fraternities putting pennies in boiling water and dropping the pennies out the window. Homeless would pick them up, burn their fingers, and the situation would escalate from there. A shame that the students have to resort to such things since the administration appears to have deaf ears.

Thankfully CSU has managed to successfully not make the "Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video: 2nd Attemp" video on youtube.

OP, you should check this video out before making any decisions. Mike Polk knows what's up with Cleveland. Feel free to check it out.

As a former alumni, I'm thankful CSU was left out of the videos.
First off, the penny thing is cruel and sad that some human beings would treat others like that and think it's acceptable. However the panhandling situation probably isn't as bad now as it was when you were there (I just recently finished a program at CSU and never had any problems).

Second, not sure why you're recommending those "tourism" videos to someone expecting that to give an accurate portrayal of the city. Those videos were made as a joke, highlighting problems that really exist in numerous older cities across the United States. These issues are certainly not unique to Cleveland.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:58 PM

Ohio State is way worse in terms of panhandlers than CSU, in my experience.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:02 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
First off, the penny thing is cruel and sad that some human beings would treat others like that and think it's acceptable. However the panhandling situation probably isn't as bad now as it was when you were there (I just recently finished a program at CSU and never had any problems).

Second, not sure why you're recommending those "tourism" videos to someone expecting that to give an accurate portrayal of the city. Those videos were made as a joke, highlighting problems that really exist in numerous older cities across the United States. These issues are certainly not unique to Cleveland.
I agree, I was going to post the same thing about the pennies. He's right though, that CSU campus doesn't feel the safest at night. I've seen bums urinating publicly over there (and ironically, a police car drove by as it was happening, and didn't even stop). Bike theft is also a real problem. They would be wise to step up their policing, similar to what UC has done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland