Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 04:43 PM

42 posts, read 123,684 times

Advertisements

Hello and good evening. Well I have a dilemma on my hands here. My wife has been out of work for 10 months since the economy is the way its is.

She has been looking and looking but no luck and we're doing ok since I have my job at the Crown Plaza downtown but now money is starting to get tight. When we lived in Philly my wife worked at the University of Pennsylvania as a Administrative A'sst which she loved and made good money.

Anyway she was talking to a friend in HR there who we have kept in contact since we moved back to Cleveland 5 years ago and she told her about her job situation and her friend offered her a Administator position back there starting Feb 1st. Everyone liked my wife when she was there before and would welcome her back and the money is better than it was before and great benefits.

When she told me about I was like thats nice and tell her we said thank you but its a little far to commute daily I said jokinly. My wife says I think I want to take it. I'm like what? Plus I was surprised because she was the one who wanted to move back to Cleveland really bad. I told her that plus we have a house which I remodeled myself and took me almost 3 years to do and we have our family and friends here and so on. She has to let them know her decision by Jan. 15th and of course we'll have to find a place. We told all our friends in Philly and of course they would be happy to see us return and offered us a place to stay till we found a place of our own. Our one friend has a brother who owns an apartment house in Ardmore, which is on the Main Line, very nice area and lots to do since we would visit there when we lived in Philly. Its a large 3 bedroom 1 1/2 bath in an old house but its completely renovated and said his brother would give us a good deal since I know him and he doesn't want it to sit vacant for long and will be availible Feb 1st also

Also its means we'll have to pay a mover to move all our stuff and all the packing which is a pain (I'm going to be 44 in Jan. and don't feel like doing all that work) and now with our house. My wife suggested we can rent it out and have our relatives watch over it and when things get better we can get jobs back here in Cleveland and we can just move back in it.

Now with my job. There are Crown Plazas around in Philly and I could transfer to one of those properties.

The plus side of moving back to Philly would be the later night life which I do still enjoy,better public transportation when I don't feel like driving and being with our friends there and maybe experience a city winning a championship now that the Phillies have Halliday,Lee,Oswalt & Hamels and some great batters. Don't worry I'm still a Cleveland sports fan,LOL

The downside, leaving my family & friends here and my hometown of Cleveland,would miss the Rapid, our sports teams even though God only knows when one of them will win a championship although I'll still watch and root for them.

I don't want to deny my wife an opportunity like that but at the same time I don't what to pull a LeBron and I'm very happy living in Cleveland.

We're going to discuss it more over the holidays and we haven't told our family & friends yet and if we do go they'll be sad but of course we can do what we've been doing the last 5 years since we moved back, hopping a plane to visit our Philly friends 6 or 7 times a year and we can to the same to visit Cleveland since its only an hour flight.

Anyway, I need some advice from my fellow Clevelanders here. Should we or shouldn't we? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Paul

Last edited by NativeClevelander; 12-15-2010 at 05:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 04:48 PM

389 posts, read 799,152 times
I have always been of the belief that you should first choose the place you want to live above all else. Jobs will always come and go, by force or by choice.

In your case, it sounds like the situation might be a wash so I would decide by simply choosing the place you really want to be.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:01 PM

I know what you mean thats why its a dilemma. Going back to Philly won't be a bad thing because I really like it before when I lived there. As of now my wife has her heart set on this job offer plus she hasn't been happy being out of work for awhile and we can use the money and plus the money we'll get for renting our house out. I have a feeling that I'm not going to have a choice but to move back to Philly but we'll see how it plays out. At least I'll be going back to a place I'm familiar with and this time around I know alot of people there so making friends won't be a problem.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:30 AM

16,482 posts, read 19,517,698 times
What is the position she is being offered?
What kind of ADMINISTRATOR?

Old 12-16-2010, 10:18 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,145,825 times
Yeah, the position took quite a grand leap from 'Administrative Assistant' to 'Administrator.'

All I have to say about this situation is that it sounds like you're relying on a lot of favors from a lot of people. Also, you seem to be in a position where you'll not only have the responsibilities of a landlord from 400 miles away, you'll also be a tenant. My experience is, with that many contingencies, there will be a major breakdown somewhere along the line.

The only reason that I would ever pick up and move away from a place that I really wanted to be is if the job in question improved my life (financially) so much that I could also afford to keep my current property without the hassle of relying on tenants to pay the note. If you really like it here better and unless your wife's new job will triple your household income, stay here. Switching jobs is easy. Switching cities isn't.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:03 PM

117 posts, read 243,426 times
Default DO what you got to do.

There is no shame on going where the jobs are. Just don't rent out your house from 400 miles away that's the reason many once nice areas have gone down the tubes.

Besides I know of many companies that are hiring for administrative assistants maybe she's not looking hard enough. If that's the case maybe she just really wants to move back to Philly.

Either way I don't blame you, You need to go where it makes your family happy.

I left for awhile and regretted it... jobs come and go... friends and family don't.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:12 PM

Default Peregrine, Cleveland_Collector & Andremclippers

Thank you for your advice.

The job is a Business Adminstrator position at UPenn. She has her degree in Business. When she work there before, she was taking classes also which is a perk.

We talked about it last night and we came up with a tenetive plan. If she does take it, we 'll just take stuff that we need for now and put the rest in storage and since UPenn has an excellent pension, we might be there alot longer as one of our friends told us and if we do stay for a real long time we can send for it later. The note on house we don't have to worry about. Its paid for free and clear, just have to worry about taxes. I had an Uncle who was never married and he was just like another Father to us and he had alot of possessions so when he passed 12 years ago he willed the house & HO train collection to me, his classic mint condition 1955 Chevy to my brother and my other Brother got his rifle & coin, stamp collection and my 2 Sisters got various Antiques and one Sister got his regular car, a 1990 Town Car and the money assets were divided evenly between all 5 of us. He knew I always loved the house and HO trains.

When we were in Philly before, we let my Sister and Husband live there rent free so they could save for a house, so that was good but now they have their own place. So this time, I figure I might as well make some money. Of course it will be work but I'll make sure I find a good tenant, not just rent to anybody. Plus the money I get from it, I'll put aside for taxes and use the rest for the rent in Ardmore. I know I'll be a landlord and tenant but I'm sure I'm not the first person to ever do that.

My wife had her nose to the grindstone looking for a job and nothing. Its a shame and I hate to admit this but I have to agree when people say that jobs are leaving Northeast Ohio and its a shame. As I said in my original post my wife really missed Cleveland bad and I did also so I'm surprised she wants to do this. I asked why and she said she would like the job,its a new challenge for her and plus the money so she thinks she can deal with it. Myself I know I can get a job. Being in hotel restaurant hospitality there's always a job and Philly is a big restaurant town so I know I'll have no problem if I can't transfer to a Crown Plaza there.

This Saturday we're having our Christmas party at the house and requested all of our family & friends to be there and told we have an announcement. We'll tell them about we might be moving back to Philly and her job. My Sister asked if we're having baby and told her no, its good news but I don't know if its good news they will want to hear.

I know they will say to us to stay in Cleveland and our Philly friends are encouraging to come back so that why its a dilemma and I'm torn but with the internet,email and cell phone and texting,we'll still be close. So wish me luck.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:45 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,372,538 times
I moved from CLE in 80s to Philly for a couple years and then moved back to CLE. Both moves were job promotions, first mine and back to CLE for my wife's promotion. When I moved to Philly I figured I would need 20-25% increase in salary to make it worth while re cost of living. It has quite a bit higher cost there (unless you are comparing to Chagrin Falls or higher cost CLE suburbs). There are also some other intangibles, no family for babysitting if you have young kids.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:31 PM

Default Good Afternoon Fellow Clevelanders

Hello and and hope everyone had a happy holiday and a Happy New Year. Hard to believe another year has come and went and just watching our Browns getting beat by the Steelers.

Here's an update on our moving situation. We announced to our family & friends at our Christmas party what was going on and about my wife's job offer in Philly and of course they were alittle sad but they said she should take the job since its great money and with the way the economy is here in Cleveland, so we made our decision and she's taking the job. She'll be starting on Feb 1st. On Jan. 27th, my Brother is throwing a fair well party for her then on Friday the 28th I'm driving her to Philly in her car and then I'll fly back to Cleveland and she'll be staying with friends till the apt in Ardmore is available which is supposed to be Feb 1st also. The week before Christmas we got all our stuff packed and ready to go with the help of our family & friends and the only things we have out are the bed couch chair and TV and a few things. We flew into Philly on Dec 27th to see our Philly friends and they are elated we're moving back.Went to the delayed Vikings-Eagles game that night since our friend had tickets and seen the apt in Ardmore and its nice just like the pictures. A young couple are in there and they bought a house so thats why they are moving and they told us how much they liked it there. We looked around and we decided to take it. Put down the deposit and the couple said that most likely they'll be out a few days before and our friend's Brother who is the landlord said we can move in then if we want which will be a help since everything is ready to go and can get our house here rented out. My Sister has a friend who is a real estate agent and she's going to handle renting out the house. I told her that I want a employer verification,credit check and at least to references with one from a previous landlord and I want to meet the tenant also and she said thats no problem and she also said she thinks she can rented out soon since its close to the Rapid Red Line Puritas stop and will make it available Feb 1st.

Now the resaon why I have to fly back to Cleveland is because of my work. One woman just went out on maternity leave and won't be back till April 1st so my HR director asked if I could stay around till then and she would help me with a transfer to the Crown plaza in Philly since she knows the GM & HR director there so thats good for me. I'll be in Cleveland till April although I'll be back & forth to Philly on certain weekends to see my wife and get settled in the new apt and after Feb 1st I'll stay at my Brother's till I move to Philly myself since hopefully the house will be rented out. Also during that time, I'll have to drive my car to Philly and leave the 3rd car with my brother for now then there's the hassle of changing license,registration to PA,buying PA insurance and then inspection but we'll worry about that after we get settled and just leave all 3 cars cars registered in Ohio since our car insurance is paid up till June.

Well thats whats going on with us, wish us luck and GO BROWNS!

Paul

Last edited by NativeClevelander; 01-02-2011 at 12:42 PM..

Old 01-02-2011, 06:30 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,878,777 times
I don't understand why people say "the way the economy is here in Cleveland".

Sorry, but Philly's economy is no better than Cleveland's. On a bigger scale, yes. It is a bigger city, and much bigger metro area. But the economy is not that much better than Cleveland's.

Good luck on the move though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland