Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 08:13 PM

420 posts, read 1,041,541 times

Advertisements

[quote=YtownGuy;17143317]I've visited Cleveland many times and it's not such a bad place. I think the area's self-image really took a hit when the Cuyahoga River caught on fire. The river is much, much cleaner now.

Was not the first, we almost burned this City many times , We WERE
An Industrail Town , then and still , and then so much more then and now .

But finally, local goverment fought the feds non caring thoughts and proved the need to step up to the plate
that started the clean Water Act of 1972 , the first acts that that put the environment as something that is important to all .
I know and wittnessed all the dead fish washing a shore on edgewater beach, Watch your Step ,
then Many Many years late I could still take my family down to Edgewater
Beach . Oh Ps . we walked to the Lake , you go Shoreway HOOD, Not , we are a neighborhood

Last edited by citydudeallover; 12-26-2010 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: blame typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 08:22 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,210,366 times
Cleveland used to be an upper tier city (top 5 in population) and one of the wealthiest places in the country. It has fallen far from this status and the ghost of Cleveland's past still lingers over the people. When your town was once mentioned with places like Boston, San Francisco, and Philly; but is now closer in status to Charlotte, Indy, and Denver; it leaves people asking "what the hell happened?" I think this is the primary source of the negativity train that has gained momentum over the years. Of course Cleveland is not the only city that falls into this category.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:52 PM

420 posts, read 1,041,541 times
Default recap

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydudeallover View Post
the only area that a poster listed not in CLEVELAND is Coventry Road , and it sure is not the Coventry Road I know from the late 1970's to the mid 1980's,as a kid .
When my family would shop at a grocery store on Coventry, (they felt the local grocery store was nolonger safe ,( Buckeye-Woodland) near
St. Lukes Hospital , or Hell Cromwell Avenue .
For the last couple of decades people have ran , it is easier , to do that,
If you feel like you do , get involved, You can't ? because you are not a
Resident of The City of Cleveland ? Become one .
Now living across the river , in an area some would say are you kidding?
noway ! My dad said , son put bars on your windows, protect your family.
I never ,ever ever had a problem, in 20 something years .
I know and talk to my neighbors
P.S bought my house way young
with the intent that my kids would not attend public school ,
anyway , Like I did ( Our Lady of Peace , and Benedictine )the lower cost of living where I was and still , allowed us to send the
the kids to a school of our choice and it was not a hardship .
people on my street are from that city a little bit more West,
night , night even if it is now 9:50 your time Central Time Please !

Old 12-26-2010, 11:29 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Just as Cleveland is underrated, Portland is overrated, over-hyped and achingly disappointing to many who move here based on the overblown description of the city that somehow gets spread around.
That's disappointing to hear, I've never been but have been fascinated by some of what I've read about the policies there that limit suburban building thus placing demand on existing/city structures/neighborhoods.

As far as why people are so negative, two reasons IMO:

1.) Rampant media stone-throwing (national and local) and
2.) Too many people around who remember when the area was an economic powerhouse who reinforce to their kids, grandkids, etc how great it USED to be - which I think leads to an "over-perception" of how bad things are. Think about it - Grandpa can remember when a moron with an 8th grade education could live in a nice house with 2 cars and go to Disney once a year. Of course, Cleveland sucks now! Conversely, 50 years ago Orlando was a dumpy agricultural town. Looking at that, how could one not be positive if you're from Orlando?

A real, valid reason is there are also hasn't been anything concentrated to fill the void - tech in the west, finance in the east, tourism in a lot of the south - but Cleveland is kind of faceless.

And a lot of the neighborhoods look like ****.

Last edited by SquareBetterThanAll; 12-26-2010 at 11:40 PM..

Old 12-27-2010, 03:10 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,162 times
22 deleted posts later, I'd like to ask everyone to report trolling posts and ignore them. Responding to trollish claims and getting upset over them is doing exactly what the troll wants. Don't play their game, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Yac.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:44 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,487,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
22 deleted posts later, I'd like to ask everyone to report trolling posts and ignore them. Responding to trollish claims and getting upset over them is doing exactly what the troll wants. Don't play their game, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Yac.
Are all posts by definition trolls though. If everyone posted something that everyone agreed with, message boards would be no fun. Now if they were personal attacks I disagree with that (unless it is about a certain basketball player in Miami)

Old 12-27-2010, 12:57 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,050 times
I love Cleveland. Coming from Kentucky it's nice to find an affordable metro that has a lot of dense, urban development, public trans, walkable space, a waterfront location, sports teams that aren't completely misplaced, a lot of hometown pride and just loads of history and flavor in general.

I'll be moving there VERY shortly and I will be positive. I will be sure to try and spread the love, as well.

Also, just a note... It's NOT that dangerous. Unemployment ISN'T that bad. The sports teams may lose a lot, but people love them anyways. That's called loyalty. We could have a situation like the Heat where people don't even notice they exist till Lebron shows.

I hate my hometown of Lexington. While many from NE OH are content with moving here and spending their days in traffic as they pass strip mall after strip mall, I want to avoid this overgrown outer-ring-suburb style flavorless hole. I want a place with unique businesses and people and the opportunity to be exposed to them. Cleveland offers that.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:37 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,898,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
Yac.
Well keep them out of here.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:15 PM

708 posts, read 1,814,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Well keep them out of here.
Yes I agree!!! you deleted travlers87 and my post...We were just responding...sorry for any miscommunication but good grief!!!!

Old 12-27-2010, 02:39 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,898,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa12230 View Post
Yes I agree!!! you deleted travlers87 and my post...We were just responding...sorry for any miscommunication but good grief!!!!
Yes, sorry for "stooping to their level." But I have reported trolls before, but nothing ever gets done. I could see if we posted personal attacks, but I never did so. This site needs to crack down on trolls much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland