Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 04:26 PM

765 posts, read 2,128,614 times

Advertisements

I have always been very curious about that house. It's so out of place with the surrounding neighborhood!

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, here's the link on google maps
E 73 and chester - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 04:58 PM

708 posts, read 1,815,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
I have always been very curious about that house. It's so out of place with the surrounding neighborhood!

that is really pretty for that part of town...How long has that been there?????

Last edited by lisa12230; 01-04-2011 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: mis print

Old 01-04-2011, 07:25 PM

420 posts, read 1,042,151 times
Default yes and no

For today it is , but not always maybe 100 years ago it would have
been the norm to some degree ( That house is way off the charts )
but one of many built in that area . Many of the older homes still standing
show tell tell signs of an upper income community , back then , ( for some that could not afford Millionaires Row)
One just needs to know what to look at ( Well thats my C- towns History Tonight ) ,
That said , ownership of property is public record made today so much easier by the click of the mouse go to the County site , and find the link to the auditor's site ( tax map department) One will need the House Number and Street name or the Permanent Tax Parcel Number to make the search easier .

Quote:

Old 01-04-2011, 08:44 PM

6 posts, read 13,088 times
My twin girls are doing a Social Studies project for school, and they chose Lewis Wetzel. (I own several books about him) Anyway, there is a rumor that the statue of him in New Martinsville WV is actually that of David Morgan, and the David Morgan statue in Morgantown is actually Lewis Wetzel.
The two statues were supposedly switched during shipment a long time ago. My husband and I are going to be bringing the girls up to the northern part of the state to visit historical markers, landmarks, etc., and we'd really like to know which statue is actually that of Wetzel. I've not been able to find anything definitive online. If anyone has any information about this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Old 01-05-2011, 07:36 PM

765 posts, read 2,128,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydudeallover View Post
For today it is , but not always maybe 100 years ago it would have
been the norm to some degree ( That house is way off the charts )
but one of many built in that area . Many of the older homes still standing
show tell tell signs of an upper income community , back then , ( for some that could not afford Millionaires Row)
One just needs to know what to look at ( Well thats my C- towns History Tonight )
If you look at the picture this house looks newer, like maybe built in the last 20 years or so. There are also some nice newer houses down the street from it. Why a street with such suburban looking McMansions in the middle of the east side of Cleveland?

Old 01-05-2011, 09:32 PM

420 posts, read 1,042,151 times
Default Why Not

that area once was again a middle upper class area , eastside Cleveland can and should have such areas of upper income areas . But it did not happen by chance , The City of Cleveland , and those who have built homes in the area had many reasons why ,tax rebates , the pride in some of those that lived in the area as kids , and have been able to afford
to have a house that are a "McMansions " in the area they feel at home. Since you used the "McMansions " description While funny to say
in certain suburban areas , The fact is that most people want ,
in the city or otherwise . a McMansion , it should not be a problem.
I see now a underlining question , I say why not.
Now did you go to the county site , and find the owner' s name
(as it was your original question ) that I said ownership of land is Public
record ?

Quote:
If you look at the picture this house looks newer, like maybe built in the last 20 years or so. There are also some nice newer houses down the street from it. Why a street with such suburban looking McMansions in the middle of the east side of Cleveland?

Old 01-06-2011, 11:18 AM

192 posts, read 492,238 times
they tried gentrifying that chester avenue corridor by building nice new homes on the side streets that intersect with Chester Ave. hoping that the "newness" would promote beautification on the middle blocks of these side streets. Now, when you drive down chester ave. it looks a lot nicer than it did like 10 yrs ago

Old 01-07-2011, 08:26 AM

15 posts, read 64,426 times
Default Cleveland Area History answers

The Cleveland Area History page (group?) on Facebook and the related blog clevelandareahistory.com are the best places to get this info. These people know this kind of thing in amazing detail.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:40 PM

5 posts, read 10,825 times
is chester ave grey hound bus station safe to walk

Old 01-13-2011, 09:45 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,901,611 times
You are seeing a lot of new housing developments go up across eastern city neighborhoods. Street by street they are doing this. I know a lot of the newer homes close to University Circle are home to doctors, nurses, and professors. Of course they are gated. But this is a common find on google street view in eastern neighborhoods. I like it, as long as they also rehab the older homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: