Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 01:33 PM
jmv

96 posts, read 214,907 times

Advertisements

I agree with AGuyFromCleveland. I'd love to know upon what facts that comment is made. I've lived here for 11 years and don't feel one bit worried about my safety. As I've said in many previous posts, my kids and all the kids in our neighborhood play outside all the time and my husband and I go for walks after dark regularly. There is practically an open door policy on our street in Onaway...you could simply walk into almost anyone's house at any time of the day and well into the evening without even ringing the doorbell. We aren't one bit worried and love seeing our neighbors and friends out enjoying the community at all times of the day night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 02:43 PM

261 posts, read 588,728 times
I don't really get the high crime perception either. My family lives in Shaker, my parents grew up in Shaker, none of us has ever experienced or even witnessed crime happening here. Considering when we were living in Winnetka outside of Chicago, one of the richest communities in the whole country we had our house broken into more than once, even witnessed a gang shooting, some other stuff. We didn't decide to move away from Winnetka because of those incidents (for growing up in a suburb both of my parents are extremely street smart and are a lot less paranoid of crime than a lot of people), my parents were just tired of the insane cost of living, extreme traffic, keeping up with the Jones's type people and they wanted to come home. All of our neighbors are friendly, help us out anyway they can, we have way more friends on our street than we ever did living in Chicago and Atlanta. Ever since my parents moved back I can tell they've been a lot happier and carefree and not so stressed, that right there is enough reason for me to love Shaker. Maybe we just haven't seen the really dirty stuff that goes on around here lol?

I think the whole unofficial open door policy thing on Onaway is interesting jmv, didn't know people were that trustworthy over there. Besides the police are all over the place like flies (in a good way), I wouldn't be too worried anyway.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:29 PM

13 posts, read 59,646 times
honestly, I'm not naive enough to think that touring a city on google maps street view, will provide an accurate representation or feel for a neighborhood or town, but damn, Shaker Heights looks straight up rich. Huge houses, on huge lots, where are the "iffy" parts of town? Growing up and residing in Chicago, this reminds me of a rich north shore suburbs, maybe old money type of places. If the median income provided on this site is accurate, it most definitely qualifies as at least upper middle class

Old 08-25-2011, 03:02 PM

261 posts, read 588,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legend999 View Post
honestly, I'm not naive enough to think that touring a city on google maps street view, will provide an accurate representation or feel for a neighborhood or town, but damn, Shaker Heights looks straight up rich. Huge houses, on huge lots, where are the "iffy" parts of town? Growing up and residing in Chicago, this reminds me of a rich north shore suburbs, maybe old money type of places. If the median income provided on this site is accurate, it most definitely qualifies as at least upper middle class
If you ask me Shaker reminds me a lot of Oak Park except that it has more New England type architecture. It's not so much there are iffy run-down parts in Shaker itself but it borders really iffy parts of Cleveland.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:00 AM

306 posts, read 821,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legend999 View Post
I would consider the neighborhoods near Shaker Town Center to be iffy. Around Chagrin and Lee to be specific. It's not a terrible neighborhood but it's not what most people think of when it comes to Shaker. That area was hit pretty hard by foreclosures and its yet to comeback. It's not a coincidence that it also borders a somewhat rough area of Cleveland. It's fairly safe but it doesn't quite fit the Shaker image of mansions and well kept homes.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:38 PM

13 posts, read 59,646 times
yeah, I could maybe see the similarities, then again I've never actually been to Shaker. Based on looking at the homes in the community, Oak Park seems to be quite a bit more urban, and smaller lot sizes and homes. Although there are some bigger homes. Oak Park borders Austin, one of the roughest areas of the city, literally you cross Austin and it's a completely different place. Thanks for the input. I am always interested in cities and learning about different places and what makes them similar and different from what I know, which is basically the Northwest and Southwest sides of chicago.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:57 PM

236 posts, read 695,601 times
I've lived in NYC, DC, San Jose, Cincinnati, Madison, ATL, Charlotte and Shaker Heights. In my opinion, Shaker Heights, in particular, the Fernway neighborhood, is one of the most family oriented, social, educated, walkable neighborhoods that I've seen. There are others like it for sure, but the quality of life, if you can deal with the taxes.... is admirable. Great neighborhood schools, affordable homes, and walkability to the RTA make it even greater. No, I'm not a realtor.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:46 PM

4 posts, read 9,666 times
If you want a city feel to where you live, Shaker is probably one of the better places. You may also consider Mayfield. I can't comment on the West Side. However, I would not send my children to any of those schools. The best schools to send your children are the ones along the Chagrin valley just east of Route 271. Kirtland, Chesterland (West Geauga Schools), Bainbridge (Kenston Schools), Chagrin Falls, and possily Solon. If you can afford an extra 10-15 minute drive - these are the best schools. Even if you park and then ride the transit downtown, these are better options. If you don't mind a little bit farter of a drive, Notre Dame Cathedral Latin is a good private school, and also Hawken. Chardon Schools are also excellent (despite the recent shooting media they have received). Burton and Newury are very small schools - but that can sometimes be a good thing. Overall.
Shaker Heights is becoming more and more 'Urban' - so is Mayfield. It is as if the ghetto keeps moving east. If you want your children mixing with that stuff, then stay in Shaker. Shaker has beautiful old architecture and some outstanding homes. But the surrounding communities, and part of Shaker are declining. University Heights is nice, but you end up in Cleveland Heights schools - again, becoming more and more ghetto.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:13 PM

236 posts, read 695,601 times
Disagree.

More and more young families continue to move into areas like Fernway and Onaway. In the mid 90's there were less than 10 children under 18 on our street. There are now around 60; mostly all go to public schools and most will continue through 12 (as of today).

People who move here know about the taxes, the diversity in the schools system and it proximity to some of the finer areas of Kinsman and Buckeye yet don't care.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:51 AM
jmv

96 posts, read 214,907 times
I totally agree with blabber.

The Shaker Heights housing market is absolutely booming. More and more young families are choosing Shaker because they want a sophisticated, cosmopolitan environment, often after living on the coasts or in some of Cleveland's up and coming neighborhoods. They are choosing Shaker when they have children and desire an excellent school system, but want to stay close to the incredible resources offered by Shaker and the City of Cleveland. Just to provide an alternate point of view, I would not put my children in any of the schools listed by yblif because they simply don't meet my expectations for excellence, which includes exposure to different cultures. It just depends on what you want, and what you define as excellence in a community and a school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland