Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,329 times

Advertisements

I'm a recent college gard moving to Cleveland this summer and I'm looking to live in either Lakewood or downtown Cleveland, but I was curious as to what the single life is like for a heterosexual guy? and what are the best areas to live being a young single professional?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 05:34 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,088 times
Downtown Cleveland has many new apartments catering to young single professionals nowadays. The Warehouse District is a favorite area downtown, but there are other areas as well... some of the old retail buildings along Euclid Avenue and East 4th Street, for example, have in recent years been renovated and converted to apartments. There's nightlife in the Warehouse District but keep in mind that the area can be noisy on weekend evenings.

In Lakewood, check out the Clifton/Lake/Edgewater area just west of West 117th Street. That area includes the Gold Coast -- a series of modern, full-amenity highrises along the lake on Edgewater Drive, as well as some rather distinctive vintage apartment buildings just south of that. Most of the apartments are offered at very reasonable rents, and usually include heat in the rental price. Keep in mind, however, that not all of the older buildings have off-street parking if that is a concern.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:16 AM

246 posts, read 476,058 times
Lakewood and Downtown are very good choices for a recent college grad. There are also several other housing options outside of the NE corner of Lakewood. Parking can be an issue over there because it's mostly apartments. There are plenty of nice rental duplex houses everywhere in Lakewood as well. If you like to hit the bars you may want to locate closer to the westend near detroit. I like many of the nostalgic apartments/row houses that are on several side streets off of Detroit (Kenilworth, Edwards to name a few) these are 2 seconds walk from popular bar areas.

Dowtown is good in the warehouse district, and E 4th. Even the west bank of the Flats has some decent apartments but the area isn't nearly as thriving as W. 6th/W. 9th or E 4th.

Personally I prefer Lakewood considering the ease of everything compared to living dowtown (downtown has limited grocery shopping, traffic jams, parking issues and far more undesirable types than Lakewood). And this is CLeveland afterall, if you live in Lakewood its only a 5 min car ride to downtown if you so desire to got out down there.

Other areas of Cleveland lower on my list after Lakewood and downtown would be Tremont, Battery Park and Ohio Ctiy (in that order). All of these are in close proximity to rough areas and there is the occasional spill over of undesirables. Lots of good dining and bars in these areas as well. But keep in mind the seedy element lurking close by. Be aware if looking in Tremont, Battery Park or OHio city that many people will advertise that their rental property is in one of these areas when it is actually in the fringe around it in a much seedier area. For example there is a Big difference between living on Fairfield and W. 11th as opposed to a few blocks south on Clark and w. 11th
This is particulary the case in Battery Park which is around what was like an italian enclave. North of Detroit is where you want to be. South of Detroit isn't particualrly REAL rough but its loads different and gets bad as you get closer to Madison.

Last edited by ECBeastor; 03-04-2011 at 09:31 AM..

Old 03-04-2011, 01:30 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Westpark gets no love?

Old 03-04-2011, 04:14 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Westpark gets no love?
West Park is nice but it's more suburban and family-oriented than the other areas mentioned in this thread. Its vibe is totally different. It just doesn't have as much of a "hipness" factor.

It is a good area, though.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:48 PM

420 posts, read 1,042,026 times
Default Love it still

When I lived there it suited me and my young son very well .
We always found ourselves walking or biking to Rocky River Drive To Lorain Avenue . going to old school Gene's Place that really does have good food. The best was biking down Puritis Hill to the Rocky River Reservation,
Stopping at the parks horse stables , then biking out to Baldwin Lake.
It is a very family friendly area .
The planes , the planes were the only drawback , at first , within a few months , it was nolonger a issue . When planes fly low in my new neighborhood , I look to the sky , and smile Remembering a very
special neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Westpark gets no love?

Old 03-21-2011, 01:48 PM

246 posts, read 476,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
West Park is nice but it's more suburban and family-oriented than the other areas mentioned in this thread. Its vibe is totally different. It just doesn't have as much of a "hipness" factor.

It is a good area, though.
I would agree with this statement. Westpark does have a decent bar scene around Kamm's Corner (Lorain and Rocky River Dr) but there isn't as much housing in very close proximity to it like there is in the other areas I mentioned. In those areas you can live literally ontop of taverns or right next door. I'd have to agree that West Park is more for young families than single young professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland