Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2011, 01:32 PM

765 posts, read 2,128,614 times

Advertisements

Drew Carey and reason TV meets with Cleveland City Council.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ-vLM0mK1Q

It seemed to be a pretty productive meeting. Do you think anything has changed since? Do you think we need to put more pressure on our legislators to change some of the excessive regulations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 01:51 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times
Good question.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:15 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,175,378 times
The truth is, the regulations aren't excessive. Also, the 'car wash sign example' was downright feeble. Regulations like that are in place to keep major thruways from looking like dog-patch central. Most suburbs which are considered to be thriving have much more astringent regulations than Cleveland.

Mr. Polensek hit the nail on the head. For the past 30 years, this area has been struggling with disinvestment (something most of the suburbs know nothing about). The transition away from heavy industry is a difficult one and competing with $0.42.hr is impossible. The simple fact of the matter is that Cleveland has done as good of a job as any of the former industrial centers with regards to reinvention. Its just that some apparently expect every success to happen instantly.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:13 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,276,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Most suburbs which are considered to be thriving have much more astringent regulations than Cleveland.
That's because they can get away with it. Cleveland can't. Cleveland isn't Moreland Hills or Westlake. If Cleveland is going to attract new investment, it needs to stop thinking that it can do the same things that the suburbs are doing. Cleveland is not a bedroom community.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:00 AM

So, your professional reccomendation to Cleveland would be to let businesses operate in free-for-all mode because, unlike suburbs, they shouldn't have any regulations in place to ensure basic aesthetics? Then, when asked to fortify your recommendation, you would say, "Because you're not a bedroom community." Yep, that makes a TON of sense.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:31 PM

389 posts, read 804,445 times
No, nothing has really changed. The reason for this I believe is because the powers that be really don't want change. If they wanted it, they would be all over it. You have to be realistic with how you are going to compete. Let's say for the sake of arguement that there are 50 metro areas in the country and Cleveland is one of them.

You have to ask yourself why the city continues to rank 45-50 in every category. Cleveland needs to find it's niche. It has to dominate an area that no other city dominates.

It's not going to be weather, it's not going to be beaches, it's not going to be tourism, its not going to be silicon valley, it's not going to be manufacturing.

It has roots in finance and orchastra, but I don't think those are enough to propel it.

If I were the decision maker, I would make Cleveland THE most business friendly location on this planet. Zero income and property taxes for business, zero red tape for business. Money would be earned from sales taxes and resident income and property taxes. I believe this to be the path forward for this city.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:42 PM

Hey, Great!! Let's offer them free water, slave labor, and let them turn the Cuyahoga River and Lake Erie back into their own corporate cesspools again while we're at it.

Cleveland's niche is medical, biotech, and everything that comes along with it. The next step is to push our able workforce towards high-tech, renewable energy, and other high value manufacturing fields. It's already beginning to happen and we have the educational institutions available to help with the training/re-training that will be required.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:43 PM

389 posts, read 804,445 times
Quote:
Hey, Great!! Let's offer them free water, slave labor, and let them turn the Cuyahoga River and Lake Erie back into their own corporate cesspools again while we're at it.

Cleveland's niche is medical, biotech, and everything that comes along with it. The next step is to push our able workforce towards high-tech, renewable energy, and other high value manufacturing fields. It's already beginning to happen and we have the educational institutions available to help with the training/re-training that will be required.
I really and truly hope you are right. I've been told all my life to just wait and see what this place will look like in 10 years.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:36 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom11011 View Post
I've been told all my life to just wait and see what this place will look like in 10 years.
LOL, Tom. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:59 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,276,419 times
Quote:
So, your professional reccomendation to Cleveland would be to let businesses operate in free-for-all mode because, unlike suburbs, they shouldn't have any regulations in place to ensure basic aesthetics? Then, when asked to fortify your recommendation, you would say, "Because you're not a bedroom community." Yep, that makes a TON of sense.
Cleveland has no cachet. It is not playing with the same deck as the suburbs or many other cities. It needs to do everything it can to make itself more attractive, business-wise, than the other places with which it is competing. The point is that Cleveland cannot get away with a lot of the same strict rules and regulations as its suburbs, because ceteris paribus, businesses and people are going to choose the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland