Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 10:53 AM

124 posts, read 304,416 times

Advertisements

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 07:50 AM

389 posts, read 804,712 times
Avon and Avon Lake are desirable because being in Lorain County, taxes are lower. I don't know how much longer that will last, but it is very noticable. I just renewed my plates, $39. If memory serves, it is $55 or $60 in Cuyahoga county.

We pay the same property taxes in Avon as we did in parma heights, and we have a house that is twice the size.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:38 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyes440 View Post
lol? Not really a fan of what you're trying to imply.

One of my closest friends growing up was black and lived in Fairview Park.

Yeah, just pointing out the truth. The same applies to most west side suburbs....not much racial diversity.
But there isn't a lack of Ethnic diversity. A lot of 1st and 2nd generation Europeans (Irish, Serbian, Hungarian, Albanian, Romanian, etc) and Middle Easterners. In regards to the Middle Eastern influx of late, they are considered why by the census, but these cities have a substantial number. And anyone who has been in the area knows that the diversity has been increasing and it's pretty evident from spending time around the area.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:40 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMHFoster View Post
So if you were looking for somewhere to live that is a nice area with reasonable taxes, where would you guys suggest? We LOVE Shaker but I just don't know if I can stomach the taxes. As my husband says, its like making your house payment AND your neighbor's brand new Cadillac payment each month.

He works downtown and I have no idea where I will find employment, though I hope to find a school counseling job this spring/summer for the 2011-2012 school year. We like some areas of Avon/Avon Lake, Westlake, Rocky River, Shaker Heights, Hudson, Fariview Park, etc.
I'd look at Rocky River... taxes aren't the cheapest, but better than Shaker I believe. It's the most unique and thriving community on the immediate west side IMO.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:39 PM

124 posts, read 304,416 times
We found a great house in North Olmsted today and also visited the one we wanted to see in Fairview Park. Both great houses, but both of them need some updating. We are at the point now that we can't decide between an older house with character that may need more work over time or a newer house that is in good shape and will be less maintenance. Its a tough decision!

Old 02-07-2011, 05:08 AM

9 posts, read 15,214 times
Everything about fair view park is fine...housing,schools,colleges,hospital,market etc...
It is near to the airport.only thing is that..night life is not happening...well that is actually not a problem.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:58 AM

458 posts, read 1,223,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantwatts View Post
only thing is that..night life is not happening...well that is actually not a problem.
But very close by in Lakewood, and a short drive to downtown.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:06 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
There is plenty to do in Fairveiw Park i.e. Nightlife. GOod bars, good restaraunts, on the border sits Westgate Shopping Plaza...

Now if you ask me about North Olmsted, where I grew up? No thanks. Couldnt get out of that town fast enough.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:23 PM

9 posts, read 10,431 times
Fairview Park is a fine little suburb with a surprising amount and quality of interesting history. The voters do, from time to time, act with excessive munificence, but by and large the cost of living can be expected to remain more sane than most comparable local suburbs. The public schools are quite good, and proximity to private schools is excellent. Fairview Park remains a good choice for raising a family in Cuyahoga County.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:49 PM

4 posts, read 7,200 times
i grew up in Fairview Park and to be honest if the taxes werent so darn high i would be there now. The schools are great! and it was ranked 6th safest city in ohio. the housing is affordable and shopping is close. It's a very walkable town too (only two gas stations in the whole town but there are four ice cream shops ). I currently live in Avon. it's the next county over but a lot less taxes (sale and property taxes are less) and the commute is only and extra 10-15 minutes further than Fairview Park to downtown. The schools are great here too! as far as North Olmsted, i lived there when i came back from college and before i settled down. They call it "Little India" in some circle. Very middle eastern populated. I remember touring one of the 19 floor apartment buildings next to Great Northern mall and the whole place, lobby, elevators and everything reeked of curry. Not that any of that is a bad thing....it's just not my thing.

You could also look into Westlake. I have family that live there and it's safe with great schools and easy freeway access and great shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland