Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 04:57 PM

708 posts, read 1,814,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
OP, as an urban planning graduate, I can offer you tips on things you should focus on in your classes:
TAKE GIS CLASSES. IF you can use ArcGIS/Trimble/all of that mess, you can get a job EASILY. I had 3 offers upon graduation with my bachelors' and now do independent work as I am planning a move to the Cleveland area.
Volunteer, volunteer, volunteer. Show you are a civic minded individual and companies will love that.
Join the Geography club/honor society at whatever university you study at.
Most importantly, take classes in ethics and pay close attention to them. Also develop your writing skills to the best of your ability.

Have fun! It's a blast to work in the field.

Maybe I should consider this also...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 07:42 PM

261 posts, read 588,502 times
Also Costello, I have to say WOW. I didn't know there was that much construction going on! Thanks for catching me up lol! As for University Circle I think it's an amazing neighborhood, I wasn't trying to suggest it should be somewhere else haha! Actually I was focusing on the institutions (more specifically just the Art Museum and The Orchestra) and how it always struck me that they were cultural heavyweights but weren't concentrated downtown with Playhouse Square.

And now that I think about it I really think the E 55th stop has serious potential. It being the central station for RTA and by 490 I think makes it much more accessible and pedestrian friendly for development than a lot of people think.

I also feel that Midtown could benefit from some serious development. It's part of almost a full 60 streets between University Circle/Cleveland Clinic and Downtown that has no real substance. I know a lot of people characterize any area between UC/CC and Downtown as just "ride-through" territory. But I'm not exactly sure what kind of development Midtown could benefit from. Retail maybe?

Oh just for interest, I don't know if anyone knows of this page but I came across it about a year ago and this in particular motivated me to start studying planning for the area. It's a page displaying the designs of skyscrapers that were supposed to be built in the city before the economy took a downturn.
http://coolhistoryofcleveland.blog.c...leveland-ohio/

Oh duly noted UK, I've been told about the importance of GIS classes but those job offers sound even more encouraging.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:29 PM

73 posts, read 171,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioDominicana View Post
I also feel that Midtown could benefit from some serious development. It's part of almost a full 60 streets between University Circle/Cleveland Clinic and Downtown that has no real substance. I know a lot of people characterize any area between UC/CC and Downtown as just "ride-through" territory. But I'm not exactly sure what kind of development Midtown could benefit from. Retail maybe?
Neither Cleveland or the United States can build a 21st century economy on just shopping or services. Our economy needs to be diverse and should leverage the strengths/advantages that certain places have already. Midtown has some existing industry and long term businesses (American Sugar, Pierre's, Gallucci's, etc.) but lots of vacant/underutilized land. A growing economic sector in Cleveland is medical device technology and manufacturing - an outgrowth of existing strengths in both areas. Some start-ups are spinning off of partnerships or research projects in UC/Clinic, but UC is short on office and especially manufacturing space. Midtown is close to UC/Clinic, close to freeways and freight rail, and has lots of space. Just one possibility.

Don't forget the neighborhoods to the north and south. At the very least, the development that occurs along the corridor should be required to be designed to physically engage with the surrounding areas so some of the spinoff benefit of the new development will be shared.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:32 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioDominicana View Post
Oh duly noted UK, I've been told about the importance of GIS classes but those job offers sound even more encouraging.
On the earlier part of this post... Go drive through the CSU area/all along Euclid Ave through the length of the city... It reminds me of a cleaner Chicago in some parts... And Chicago is home for me, so it takes a lot for me to compare anything to it!

As for GIS... It's expected almost universally for any planning type job that one have GIS skills now. It's the equivalent to the "Microsoft Office" skills of old.

Also, with the rise of usage in GIS software for non-planning related purposes, there are loads of jobs if you can't get into the highly competitive field of planning.

I recommend checking out:
The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse: Location Map
To see opportunities in GIS related careers.

As for urban planning jobs, you should look into Planetizen job listings to check out what is expected of you as a prospective employee and focus on those things especially.

It's a tough crowd, but welcome!

Old 02-11-2011, 03:41 AM

Thanks UK for the GIS info, much appreciated! I look forward to getting more involved with this field! Na zdrowie I believe you are right about the biomedical industry and space for midtown. That idea prompts me to look further into researching the growing economic sectors the city has going for it, and then examining the layouts of certain areas and determining how they can be utilized to cater to these sectors. It sounds like it could be a simple but steady approach for planning for some development.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:13 PM

367 posts, read 621,838 times
Check out the Sout Side in Pittsburgh to get an idea of what the Cleveland Flats could come close to. It could be a great neighborhood...

Old 02-23-2011, 11:39 AM

I've been to the South Side of Pittsburgh! Lol I know exactly what you're talking about, it's an awesome neighborhood, I think a neighborhood like that would benefit the Flats with the the Warehouse district because it would have to be developed further inward along the riverbanks.
And a question about the parking lots. A lot of surface parking lots downtown are actually illegal and should have buildings replacing them. Are most or all of them illegal or just some?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland