Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 10:04 AM

708 posts, read 1,814,502 times

Advertisements

excuse me for spelling "weather" wrong, lol...I just heard that employers can fire you if you don't show up to work because of the snow storms..Now this is my opinon..if I were a boss or supervisor, I would rather for you to stay home before doing harm to yourself or somebody else..Some "right to work" states such as Idaho and Georgia can fire you because when they hired you, you sign a statement stating that you can be fired at will.....there is really nothing you can do about it......what say you??????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 12:22 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
I say "sure it can happen"... but does it?
Rarely I would say.

Now if you are a lousy employee it might be a good excuse to get rid of you, but otherwise...

Old 02-15-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I say "sure it can happen"... but does it?
Rarely I would say.

Now if you are a lousy employee it might be a good excuse to get rid of you, but otherwise...
Now that is what I was thinking, that the person was a bad employee in the first place, because I really can't see a person getting fired for the weather if they are a decent employee...I remember the one time I could'nt leave my parents house to get to work, because of weather and my supervisor was totally understanding about it and even told me to just stay home and try to enjoy the day....lol....

Old 02-15-2011, 03:16 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
Actually, most employment in most states (including OH) is at-will. Basically, they can fire you because of good weather, for being 10 minutes early every day, and for making the company 500% above your own overhead cost to them. What they can't do in non-RTW states is stop collective bargaining or deny the individual unemployment compensation without showing multiple incidents of acknowledged, documented cause or proving the commission of a crime on company grounds.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Actually, most employment in most states (including OH) is at-will. Basically, they can fire you because of good weather, for being 10 minutes early every day, and for making the company 500% above your own overhead cost to them. What they can't do in non-RTW states is stop collective bargaining or deny the individual unemployment compensation without showing multiple incidents of acknowledged, documented cause or proving the commission of a crime on company grounds.
So Ohio is a right to work state????

Old 02-15-2011, 07:16 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
No, it is not a right to work state. That fact does not bar the existence of at-will employment, however. It does allow for the right to collective bargaining and legal grievances which are otherwise defanged in RTW states.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:30 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa12230 View Post
Now that is what I was thinking, that the person was a bad employee in the first place, because I really can't see a person getting fired for the weather if they are a decent employee...I
Especially if you have sick or vacation time... they simply wouldn't fire you.
In the days before I had a snow blower I took a weather day off because we got hit with a ton of snow. I couldn't get my car out of my driveway without shoveling which took HOURS that day.
I got teased about my "low rider" car that can't clear 6 inches of snow, but I wasn't reprimanded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland