Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 01:39 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I don't consider that bashing or a put down; people everywhere complain of the weather. Pretty soon they'll complain its too hot.
Agreed Pat, it isn't a put down or a bash.... but it is still just that flat out negativity I can't stand anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 05:10 PM

25 posts, read 62,941 times
I definitely feel the ignorance of many folks, but I just feel that there is more to it. Interesting comment on the media and PD. Now that I have been here a bit and have discovered some of the awesomeness that this city has to offer - you can bet I am going to respond and hopefully educate the naysayers that come my way. I don't want to be poisoned by this negativity.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:41 PM

708 posts, read 1,815,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemur_lass View Post
I definitely feel the ignorance of many folks, but I just feel that there is more to it. Interesting comment on the media and PD. Now that I have been here a bit and have discovered some of the awesomeness that this city has to offer - you can bet I am going to respond and hopefully educate the naysayers that come my way. I don't want to be poisoned by this negativity.
....One of many reasons I prefer to live in cleveland...When you venture out to other states, you find how cleveland is so much better...California; You must look a certain way and act a certain way.....Idaho: Well, if you're not from the state, they don't have nothing to do with you. I saw a bumper sticker on a car that said "Welcome to Idaho, now go home". Now that should tell you something, lol......Washington state...What can I say...The same as idaho....Give me back cleveland...lol......

Old 02-21-2011, 06:48 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Here's a positive: I live in Portland OR and as soon as all my stars are in alignment (enough money to move) I am Cleveland bound.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:14 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,175,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemur_lass View Post
The media (especially the PD) has done more to sour attitudes and contribute to the overall ignorance than any other entity. However, we cannot put all of the onus on them. Ignorance can easily be cured by experience which is something that many of them aren't interested in. They would rather bellyache and ridicule.

I think one dynamic in this area that isn't as prevalent in other areas is the rapid change in the economic structure. Because our wonderful corporate monoliths and stupid, shortsighted politicians have decided to allow the manufacturing sector to be decimated in the US, the areas where manufacturing was the economic lifeblood have been severely impacted. Cleveland is one of these areas. A lot of people haven't recovered from the sting that started in the 60's and 70's. A lot of people have somewhat foolishly resisted the changes and slapped on blinders rather than prepare for what is occurring economically. It has admittedly created a rift. Those indoctrinated in the "old way" have had a hard time embracing what is here and what is to come. The result is misplaced bitterness about pretty much everything other than the "good old days."

Also, the current attacks on the public sector workers aren't going to do much to buoy the attitudes....but, that's another story.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:56 AM

682 posts, read 1,578,880 times
I think it's worse in general this time of the year... after the holidays and before spring, when people are just tired of the winter weather.

If it makes you feel any better, many people are the same way around here at this time of year (because they are tired of 45 degrees, grey skies, and light drizzle every day).

My suggestion? Figure out ways to turn it into your greatest asset, and a source of pride, not a source of shame. Then the sheeple will follow you instead of the PD, Channel 19 news, etc.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:07 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times
Being from the Youngstown area it's the same thing here and in Akron and Pittsburgh. I think people hate on rust belt areas because they see all their friends and family move away. Then friends and family say, "why do you still want to live there? the weather sucks, there are no jobs, it's grey and cold, blah, blah blah. Where I live here in ________(add a sunbelt city here) the weather is wonderful, there are a ton of jobs, everything is new and shiny."

The above quote is something i hear all the time, that and people telling me i'm crazy for staying here. Some of my high school friend's parents tell me that their child has moved to Columbus, Charlotte, or Raleigh and how wonderful it is and that i should move there too. GRRR!! I'm so sick of it. I already know the grass isn't greener. I'm happy here. I prefer rust and character to shiny and new. When i hear people bashing Ne Ohio i say, "really? I love it here, we have this and that and i love this and that about Ohio", and they usually shut up, or change their tune.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:45 AM

25 posts, read 62,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
I think it's worse in general this time of the year... after the holidays and before spring, when people are just tired of the winter weather.

If it makes you feel any better, many people are the same way around here at this time of year (because they are tired of 45 degrees, grey skies, and light drizzle every day).

My suggestion? Figure out ways to turn it into your greatest asset, and a source of pride, not a source of shame. Then the sheeple will follow you instead of the PD, Channel 19 news, etc.
too funny!

Old 02-22-2011, 07:17 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
(because they are tired of 45 degrees, grey skies, and light drizzle every day).
What grey skies? Looking pretty sunny YET AGAIN today!

Old 02-22-2011, 08:08 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
People ***** about the weather all over the country. Those who see negativity outside of the norm is simply looking for negativity.

The cold and snow gets old fo rmost people. They endure it but ***** about it on occasion. No big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland