Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:51 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times

Advertisements

No. NYC couldn't even support the rock hall annex. It closed a little over a year after opening. The HOF is going on 20 years in Cleveland. The problem with NYC is that many things get lost in the shuffle. Just look at the induction that was in 2009. Cleveland had 6,200 people show up for it. In NYC, they have it in a hotel ballroom that seats about 10% as many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 05:50 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
No. NYC couldn't even support the rock hall annex. It closed a little over a year after opening. The HOF is going on 20 years in Cleveland. The problem with NYC is that many things get lost in the shuffle. Just look at the induction that was in 2009. Cleveland had 6,200 people show up for it. In NYC, they have it in a hotel ballroom that seats about 10% as many.
That's beside the point. What I'm trying to say is that having the induction ceremony in NYC might be political.

Many people felt the Rock Hall should have been in NYC, regardless of whether it would succeed there, financially. So, having the induction ceremony there is like a consolation prize.

But, like I said, I didn't look very hard for any evidence to back this up. It's just something I might have heard when I was a kid, back in the early 90's.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:17 AM

58 posts, read 127,094 times
Quote:
Cleveland had 6,200 people show up for it. In NYC, they have it in a hotel ballroom that seats about 10% as many.
Actually, the Grand Ballroom of the Waldorf Astoria, where the ceremony will be held this year and was held last year, can accommodate 1,500 when set up as a theater (The Waldorf=Astoria New York - New York, NY Luxury Hotel Meeting Space | Cvent Supplier Network).

That's 24%, not 10%.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:40 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
$$$ holding it in NYC generates a ton of profit suppposedly for the Rock hall foundation.

Every third year in Cleveland is still a good start. Personally, what I don't understand is how there is not a week long Cleveland Rock Festival the week prior ... Or even after the inductions in Cleveland. If done right, it could be a source of pride and revenue.

I'm seriously considering finding the right people to try to head up this thing, including myself.
Totally agree. Cleveland has a thriving music scene and it needs to be embraced more by the HOF.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipp View Post
Actually, the Grand Ballroom of the Waldorf Astoria, where the ceremony will be held this year and was held last year, can accommodate 1,500 when set up as a theater (The Waldorf=Astoria New York - New York, NY Luxury Hotel Meeting Space | Cvent Supplier Network).

That's 24%, not 10%.
Even if what you say was reality, you're even attempting to make a comparison with 24%? Strong argument...

Just because it can hold 1500 doesn't mean that it always does. That number is an absolute maximum. The typical NYC induction has between 600-700 in attendance. And, we all know how many common-folk get to experience the evening...

The Cleveland number of 6,200 is an actual number. That's how many people were in Public Hall in 2009. It's not the fire code allowance like you're quoting above.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Totally agree. Cleveland has a thriving music scene and it needs to be embraced more by the HOF.
The HOF is run mainly by a bunch of out-of-towners who seem to be out of touch with the music scene, in general. Just look at the snub list. Anything that would be done would likely have to be started by a fringe group, not that this would be an impossibility. A sanely priced, outdoor music festival at the inner harbor would pack them in from miles around.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:34 AM

306 posts, read 820,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
$$$ holding it in NYC generates a ton of profit suppposedly for the Rock hall foundation.

Every third year in Cleveland is still a good start. Personally, what I don't understand is how there is not a week long Cleveland Rock Festival the week prior ... Or even after the inductions in Cleveland. If done right, it could be a source of pride and revenue.

I'm seriously considering finding the right people to try to head up this thing, including myself.
The Rock Hall did sponsor a music festival for a couple of years. The CMJ Rock Hall Music Fest happened in 2005 and 2006 but was canceled due to a lack of support. There wasn't enough financial support or staffing to make it work for all the parties involved. Some of the local clubs had problems making money off of it and luring big name acts. The clubs paid and lured the acts while the Rock Hall was in charge of marketing and extra staffing.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:16 PM

The CMJ Rock Hall Music Fest was so well marketed that I heard about it 2 weeks after it happened.

If somebody can get 100,000 people over the course of 3 days to go to a rib burn off, they can do the same for a music festival. The key to it is getting the word out which is something the HOF suits in New York are either terrible at or don't wish to fund. Put WNCX in charge of it and you'll have as many people as you want attending it.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:29 PM

306 posts, read 820,897 times
Quote:
The CMJ Rock Hall Music Fest was so well marketed that I heard about it 2 weeks after it happened.

If somebody can get 100,000 people over the course of 3 days to go to a rib burn off, they can do the same for a music festival. The key to it is getting the word out which is something the HOF suits in New York are either terrible at or don't wish to fund. Put WNCX in charge of it and you'll have as many people as you want attending it.
I don't disagree that the Rock Hall could put on a mass market mainstream festival. The CMJ wasn't marketed for that. It was based on the CMJ Music Marathon in NYC. It's goal was to promote underappreciated bands and promote music clubs. Even the CMJ in NYC is largely unknown to most in the mainstream. It's not promoted for a mass audience. The Cleveland one was to be similar and in those ways succeeded. It grew the second year but it was very taxing on all the parties involved. Many of the club owners weren't interested in doing a third one. And CMJ promoted the festival heavily on it's website and it's publications. It's not for the mainstream which is why it may have had issues garnering attention locally. 20,000 people attended the second festival so I'd consider that pretty successful.

What you're proposing is a major radio sponsored Blossom-like event which doesnt fit in with what CMJ promotes. I think it would be great for an event at Tower City or at Browns Stadium It's a good idea.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:40 PM

31 posts, read 53,678 times
Yeah makes no sense but whatever.. at least we can still watch the induction of Fuse this Sunday.. I saw a preview for it here!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMeySNkkSd0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: