Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 01:03 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,275,861 times

Advertisements

Isn't it interesting that this thread, that has been inactive for over two and a half years, would be pulled up by someone making their first post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 10:02 AM

129 posts, read 346,415 times
Things I love: Well, just about everything that everyone has enthused about for the past 3 pages - arts, culture, nature, opportunities...

Things I hate:
1.) Cleveland Winters.
2.) People who can't find something to do in Cleveland. Stop whining, figure out what you like to do, and get a copy of the Scene or one of the other free entertainment mags or go to CoolCleveland.com or look in the PD's Friday magazine. If you can't find something you'd want to do, you must be incredibly hard to please, and would probably be unhappy anywhere.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:56 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,984,830 times
What I love about Cleveland and NE Ohio

*We have the greatest sports fans in the world! Despite the woes of our professional teams, we keep coming back for more!

* The diversity in this region. We need to do a better job of embracing it.

* We have some of the best suburbs in the nation hands down.

* The Dawg Pound!

* The Cleveland Zoo. I love that place! Been going as a kid, and I like to take my son.

What I hate about Cleveland and NE Ohio

* The weather. While nothing beats summer in Ohio, it is too short, and winter is too damn long.

* The fact that this city has so much potential to be great, and the powers that be continue to trip over their own feet when it comes to getting anything done around here. They are a big reason for the decline.

* Suburban sprawl. Such a waste of land and green space.

* The city destroyed the Flats which was huge for the city's reputation.

* We have the Rock Hall, and therefore; we should be the ones having the induction ceremonies! NOT NYC! We need to find a way to market it and bring the celebrities here for the inductions ceremonies. Canton can do it year after year with the NFL HOF, and is much smaller than Cleveland. So can we!

Old 05-17-2010, 07:54 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
[b]
* We have the Rock Hall, and therefore; we should be the ones having the induction ceremonies! NOT NYC! We need to find a way to market it and bring the celebrities here for the inductions ceremonies. Canton can do it year after year with the NFL HOF, and is much smaller than Cleveland. So can we!
You do know the Induction Ceremony was held here in 2009, right? They tried it for the first time since 97 or 98 and it was a success by most accounts.
It will be held in Cleveland every 3 years from now on.
If that goes real well it may move here permanently (as I agree 100% with you, it should be.)

Old 05-17-2010, 08:02 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You do know the Induction Ceremony was held here in 2009, right? They tried it for the first time since 97 or 98 and it was a success by most accounts.
If that goes real well it may move here permanently (as I agree 100% with you, it should be.)
I wonder why only every three years? It should have never been in NYC to begin with.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:23 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,984,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yes I did know that, and that is why I am saying that it should be held here every year! We need to make that happen, or what is the point of having the Rock Hall here?

Old 05-18-2010, 03:44 PM

42 posts, read 124,475 times
What I love about Cleveland:

Our sports teams. I know they let us down but we are Clevelanders

The Dawg Pound. My Cousin is a friend of Big Dawg

It has a slower pace than East Coast cities.

Most of us are friendly

The Flats (whats left of it),restaurants, Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame,great medical facilities.

And last I love a good pierogie

What I hate about Cleveland:

Our sports teams let us down way too often

What the City did to destroy The Flats.

Wish we had more night life/entertainment districts

Wish we would get a world class convention center so we could bring in more shows & events to help our economy.

I wish our Rapid would run later at night than 12:30. At least on Friday & Saturday nights. I like to go out later than 8pm and stay later than midnight.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:38 AM

59 posts, read 200,226 times
We moved to Cleveland/Ohio for a year to be closer to family, we left back to Denver within a year.
Loved:
- The lake/views of the city
- The very cool urban look of downtown near the lake. The buildings were amazing
- The food. Little Italy had some of the best food I've ever had and the bakeries we found were amazing.
- How green everything was and the trees in the fall. The colors were great.

Disliked:
- The freezing cold in winter. That wind seriously hurt smacking you in the face
- Lack of sunshine in the late fall and throughout winter.
- The racism- and I found it went both ways.
- That I didn't feel comfortable driving through some neighborhoods. The crime was really high and it's not like that everywhere.
- Lack of family activities, not saying there were none but I didn't really think there was that much going on.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,408 times
I hate that so many Clevelanders have no idea what's going on in their own back yards, yet complain about how Cleveland is so boring. There is definitely a really obnoxious woe is me, inferiority complex kind of thing present in a substantial minority of Clevelanders. I think that is correctable with a little Cleveland education and a more adventurous attitude. And I hate that so much of these people's happiness revolves around sports. To these people, Cleveland was awesome when the Indians were good in the mid 90s, sucked until Lebron came, and now sucks. Come on people, sports are fun, but ultimately have no real bearing on your life.

I do think that most Clevelanders are not like this, but the ones who are really get on my nerves.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:48 AM

233 posts, read 454,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Lived in Cleveland metro area for over 30 years. Lived in Cleveland proper 14. Moved away 2 years ago to get a job.

Loved. Good suburbs. Good entertainment options for mid sized city. Restaraunts. - Danny Boys etc. ************ROCKY RIVER METROPARKS.*********** Affordability.

Hated. Dismal economy. You may not see it until you try to get work in other areas and find how relatively easy it is. City of Cleveland cops have got to be the laziest on the planet. City of Cleveland services declined BADLY after Michael White left.
I talked to a cop about there response times and they told me when they get a lot of emergency calls even if you call first they may put you at the bottom of the priority list if your emergency is not as important as the others
I.E-If you call for a domestic violence case but there are robbery emergencies, and murder calls you will be the last to get service. Also depending on where you stay as well....East side is larger in area so the cops respond slower than on the west.
Back to the topic:
Love: The cities Size, People, Amenities, Entertainment, Most recently the revitalization going on, Economy (for me because I'm in school to be an architect and graphic designer and those fields are expected to grow 7% and 13% in the next 10 years respectively) Sports teams, and fans
Dislike (Not Hate): The snow, the negative people, the city proper shopping, the negative image Cleveland constantly receives, lake of lakefront (Maybe we can have riverfront living ) But that's all....
I can't say I dislike the crime because I grew up in the heart of it on the east side so it doesn't phase me...is it sad to see people senselessly die? Yes but I don't go into shock over it or am amazed someone died it's just the way it is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland