Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 11:42 AM

11 posts, read 36,679 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are looking to move in about a years time and are looking for some input on areas to move to. We are looking for an area that is walkable with close proximity to some shops and restaurants. A safe area would also be desirable. Additionally we would love an area with a good population of young professionals as her and I aren't originally from Cleveland and would love to meet some people our own age

I'm currently working in Mayfield and we aren't sure where she will be working yet, so no real restrictions on location. Our budget would be about $900 a month for an apartment. I appreciate any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 01:29 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Pittsburgh!

LOL! Just kidding! In all seriousness I'd like to hear this, too. I'm planning a vacation to Cleveland with my better half, and as young professionals we figure that whatever recommendations you are given will probably also be home to some things we'd be interested in seeing/doing.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:57 PM

124 posts, read 304,262 times
West Park/Kamm's Corners on the west side of Cleveland. Tons of young professionals, young parents, people out with dogs, etc.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:14 PM

236 posts, read 461,919 times
A lot of young professionals are currently migrating downtown, and most of them live in Little Italy, East 4th and 6th area and the Tremont area. The food is OUTSTANDING everywhere, culture and scenery is fabulous! It's very, very trendy, eclectic and chic over there. Plus, there're MANY, MANY things to do. You might want to go on CleveScene.com and check out all the wonderful events happening right here in Cleveland, all year-round. Many Clevelanders do not even know about it. Many professionals that also work in Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals live in Little Italy, Tremont (Ohio City) area and Unversity Circle. There is so much new development and initiatives currently taking place, that it's overwhelming just trying to keep up! Enjoy, enjoy our great city!!!

Old 05-03-2011, 05:48 PM

191 posts, read 442,430 times
My fiancee and I are young professionals and we currently live in the Warehouse District off West 9th. There are tons of young professionals, both couples and singles who live in my building and the other buildings in the neighborhoods. I can tell you we both feel safe and I love walking to the grocery store or to get some coffee. I feel it is really easy to meet people in my neighborhood too and everybody is very friendly.

I also work in Westlake so I'm used to commuting out for my job. One nice thing about living downtown is you have great access to the highways. There is also generally little traffic traveling in out of the city in the mornings and into in the evenings.

If you're ever looking to meet some other young people, feel free to message me.

Best of luck.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:01 PM

13 posts, read 34,073 times
I'll be moving to Cleveland from Chicago come the end of the month. I decided on the Warehouse District (Crittenden Court) over the Lakewood condos. I've only been to Cleveland for a job interview and for apartment searching so my take on things might not be accurate. From the condos I saw in Lakewood, they were really nice. I was turned off mainly due to the relative age of people living there. There seemed to be a lot of seniors there. Maybe cause I was apartment searching during the day when people had work? The warehouse district seemed to have a good amount of young people even during the day. And it was cheaper than the Lakewood condos.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:06 AM

236 posts, read 461,919 times
Hello and welcome, welcome to our great city!!!!

Most young people and professionals move to Little Italy & University area, which is not far at all from downtown. It is fabulous out there. A lot of young professionals, students and doctors from Cleveland Clinic, University Hospital Case Western Reserves live over there. Another fantastic area is Tremont. The bars and restaurants out there are the best!!! That area is full of culture, very eclectic and sexy chic. This is all year-round. All of the areas I've mentioned are no where from Downtown. You will NOT be disappointed! Hopefully, this helps... Good luck!

Old 05-05-2011, 05:31 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pritesh23 View Post
I'll be moving to Cleveland from Chicago come the end of the month. I decided on the Warehouse District (Crittenden Court) over the Lakewood condos. I've only been to Cleveland for a job interview and for apartment searching so my take on things might not be accurate. From the condos I saw in Lakewood, they were really nice. I was turned off mainly due to the relative age of people living there. There seemed to be a lot of seniors there. Maybe cause I was apartment searching during the day when people had work? The warehouse district seemed to have a good amount of young people even during the day. And it was cheaper than the Lakewood condos.
If you're talking about the highrise condos on Lakewood's Gold Coast, there are plenty of young professionals living there. Those buildings do have a good mix of people: younger, middle-aged, seniors. Now, if you want predominantly younger, the Warehouse District is a better option, and there's more nightlife nearby. The downside is that it can be noisier, especially on weekend evenings with people coming and going from the bars. But some people prefer that livelier aspect.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:26 PM

11 posts, read 36,679 times
Thanks for all the great input everyone! I've started looking at the Warehouse District and it really seems like something I'm interested in. Although when mentioning it to some people at work, they seem to think the area was rather unsafe..... can anyone comment on that?

Old 05-06-2011, 11:11 PM

191 posts, read 442,430 times
The Warehouse District is safe. I know, I live there. There are a lot of single women who live in my building. I have no problems running down to Constantino's or going to a bar late at night. I think it got a lot of negative attention last summer with some racial tensions at clubs on W 6th, but that seems to have calmed down and it doesn't really affect W 9th which is where most people live. I was told almost 4500 people live in the Warehouse District and most of them are young professionals, so this neighborhood can't be that bad.

Let me know if you have any other questions as I would be happy to help out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland