Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 09:49 PM

15 posts, read 39,618 times

Advertisements

Cleveland was going to have two more really tall towers but it was cancelled
Progressive Headquarters, Cleveland - SkyscraperPage.com
Ameritrust Center, Cleveland - SkyscraperPage.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 10:10 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,174 times
Your question is a real money maker for for psychics and palm readers. But for this forum I would add a few constraints to your question. Like: What will happen to Cleveland in 100 years provided oil will remain relatively cheap, availability & prices of mineral resources & food supplies would freeze at the current levels, China & World would keep on feeding the US in an exchange for government securities, US population will hover around 350 millions, global warming will turn to be a scam, etc., etc., etc. If you don't introduce constraints like those your question is thoroughly pointless in 100 years range. If you to shrink time frame to 5 years we could get some meaningful discussion.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:26 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,074 times
My prediction: In 100 years, the population of Cleveland will be 75,000.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:28 PM

765 posts, read 2,127,780 times
My prediction: Phoenix and Las Vegas will run out of water, Atlanta and Miami will be underwater, San Francisco will have suffered another huge earthquake/tsunami and people will be flocking to Cleveland to take advantage of our safe location and natural resources.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:29 PM

682 posts, read 1,578,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
My prediction: Phoenix and Las Vegas will run out of water, Atlanta and Miami will be underwater, San Francisco will have suffered another huge earthquake/tsunami and people will be flocking to Cleveland to take advantage of our safe location and natural resources.
You forgot to mention global warming's effect on the climate in Cleveland

Old 05-07-2011, 05:22 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
actually, minneapolis has three building near to Key bank building, their tallest is within 50 feet or so. I'd guess their top three buildings, all 50 stories plus, are taller than Cleveland's top three.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
The other buildings in the city only look small by comparison because the key tower is so big. You don't hear anybody ragging on Minneapolis's skyline, and that's because none of their towers are as tall as Key Tower, so all the smaller ones look taller when they are compared with each other.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:51 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
100 years from now, cleveland will be back, maybe within the top 10 to 15. Our fresh water supply will become our greatest asset. We are the most southern large port on the great lakes. The relatively narrow watershed and the Great Lakes Compact, which restricts moving water out of the watershed, will mean the population density will increase as the need for clean water increases. they say that fresh water will be the crude oil of the 21st century. We are well situated for the future.

The quest for new sources of coal, oil and natural gas will likely damage ground water in vast rural areas forcing people that relied on the ground water to leave. This high pressure "fracking" of shale for natural gas has me worried. Seems a lot of people think a short term energy source is more important that the long term health of our ground water. I may be too late before we discover the folly of fracking.

As the cheap energy sources get used up we will transition away from cars and toward walking and mass transport. working close to where we live will become important again. Population centers like Cleveland will become condensed and crowded. Intercity urban property near work centers, downtown, office parks and industrial zones, will grow in value.

People frustrated with the overcrowding of the mega cities to the east will flood into cities like Cleveland. If the oceans do rise as much as Gore claims they will, , there are going to be a lot of people looking for a coastline that isn't disappearing, at 700 plus feet about sea level, we should be good for a while.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:18 PM

389 posts, read 804,144 times
I see Cleveland likely loosing it's status as a "big city" so to speak. I think the closest comparison would be to smaller cities that are still well known by their name such as Gary, Indiana or Fort Wayne, Youngstown, etc..

As the population continues to decline, employers will have no choice but to move headquarters out to more larger cities with a higher education base. Continental is already preparing to pull up stakes here and Cleveland will lose it's hub status.

The effect will begin to pick up momentum at an exponential rate, we'll probably again loose a professional sports franchise, then again and again till they are all gone.

Cleveland is at a critical crossroads. I would like to say that the time to act is now but I think that time may have come and gone already. Since Cleveland is not a large tourist attraction and is plagued with weather that is not conducive to outside activities 6 months out of the year, Cleveland must re-invent itself in such a way as to make this a desirable place for businesses to want to be. Businesses bring population and jobs.

My idea would be to make Cleveland the most tax and business friendly location on the planet. But we are historically locked into democrat politicians, although I must confess, if the whole place was run by republicans, I'm sure they could get it done either.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:47 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,832 times
You say this as if the population decline of the city proper has even 1% to do with why Continental (now technically United) would remove its hub from Hopkins, if they even do.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:05 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom11011 View Post
I see Cleveland likely loosing it's status as a "big city" so to speak.
One could argue that it's already happened. I'm already finding myself referring to Cleveland as a "former" big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland