Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 10:02 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowingdown View Post
Dave Schoenfield @ espn.com wrote an article about Chief Wahoo this week. He feels the moniker has to go, and I completely agree. The team name and Chief Wahoo are incredibly insensitive and outright racist. If the Chief Wahoo moniker is absent in all capacities at the team's spring facility in Goodyear, Arizona due to fears of backlash by the indigenous community of the southwest United States, why not remove the caricature from the club's identity completely?
Because we are not gay politically correct losers. Chief Wahoo is entrenched in our community and our team tradition and honors Louis Sockalexis. If people don't like it, tell them to get an effing life, sorry.

Lastly when only <10% (if that) of Indians are offended by the Chief, that is not something to bring up for discussion, unless you lighten your loafers, eat vegan, and make out with other dudes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 10:31 PM

285 posts, read 642,189 times
It's not the name that is insulting, it is the idea that Indians/Native Americans are scary and violent enough to be a good mascot (kind of like the "fighting Irish"). Why not the "Cleveland Colonists"? That is just as scary as the Indians.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:03 AM

125 posts, read 262,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czb2004 View Post
It's not the name that is insulting, it is the idea that Indians/Native Americans are scary and violent enough to be a good mascot (kind of like the "fighting Irish"). Why not the "Cleveland Colonists"? That is just as scary as the Indians.
Instead of the suppressed, oppressed mascot the club has now, Cleveland could have one of the most oppressive, aggressive ones in the history of the mankind, an American Colonist!

Anyone defending this mascot is missing the picture. The name is offensive and attempts to capitalize upon racist stereotypes. Racism is racism, whether the American majority feels offended or not.

The Chiefs, Braves, Redskins and Fighting Irish should all change their tune as well.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:45 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,276,419 times
The name should stay. The Chief Wahoo logo should probably go.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:48 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,104,821 times
I want a Wahoo hat before you PC wimps ruin it all.

Next we'll be changing the UK basketball team to the "nondescript animate matter" in order to not offend living things, cats, or nature.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:07 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
I'd be happy of they named the team after me. They can even use a characterization of me as the mascot.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:25 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,962 times
since when are mascot supposed to be SCARY, is the Browns' Brownie mascot scary?

what about that huge smile on Wahoo?

now this one looks a little scary, but that is just my opinion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by czb2004 View Post

Old 05-15-2011, 08:35 PM

285 posts, read 642,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
since when are mascot supposed to be SCARY, is the Browns' Brownie mascot scary?

Generally I think mascots are supposed to be intimidating and aggressive, but sure there are exceptions.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:43 PM

560 posts, read 1,714,987 times
First of all, Indian hypocrisy really makes me mad. I currently live in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Two of the local American Indian schools have Indian and Indian related mascots! My jaw dropped when I saw the sign "Santa Fe Indian School, Home of the Braves".

The American Indians and their politically correct nonsense was really getting on my nerves ling before I moved to Santa Fe. I went to a high school in CA who's mascot was a Indian. Those people were at school board meets for years protesting and saying that white people can't possibly understand what it's like and how they feel... blah, blah, blah...

I'm half Irish and I don't find the Notre Dame mascot offensive. American Indians need to get over themselves!

The NCAA banned Indian mascots, but apparently it's okay to rip on the Irish.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:11 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmagana View Post
First of all, Indian hypocrisy really makes me mad. I currently live in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Two of the local American Indian schools have Indian and Indian related mascots! My jaw dropped when I saw the sign "Santa Fe Indian School, Home of the Braves".

The American Indians and their politically correct nonsense was really getting on my nerves ling before I moved to Santa Fe. I went to a high school in CA who's mascot was a Indian. Those people were at school board meets for years protesting and saying that white people can't possibly understand what it's like and how they feel... blah, blah, blah...

I'm half Irish and I don't find the Notre Dame mascot offensive. American Indians need to get over themselves!

The NCAA banned Indian mascots, but apparently it's okay to rip on the Irish.
This is because it is not really American Indians who find this PC BS offensive at all, it is the white hyper liberals who want to ruin great traditions like the Fighting Sioux of North Dakota, and Chief Illiniwek of the University of Illinois. Colleges and Universities are full of politically correct yahoos who aren't based in reality, so they can make that stupid ship fly in the NCAA, but professional sports teams are private organizations, not subject to weird federal laws that just make up stuff as to appear politically correct (title IX and this mascot ban come to mind)

I read somewhere years ago that less than 10% of American Indians are barely remotely offended by the Indians, Braves, Chief, and Redskins names and logos. Also regarding the Fightin' Irish, don't you know that white people cannot experience or feel racism? Where were you for indoc class?

Lastly I had some Indian friends in Cleveland who were at this rally attended by MAYBE 30 people, we saw them down there, asked them what they saw offensive about the Indians name or logo, they said they didn't. They were there, and I quote: "To pick up the hoes." I rest my case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: