Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 06:42 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Named after western genocide? LOL, and you wonder why nobody takes you seriously. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 07:34 AM

125 posts, read 262,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Named after western genocide? LOL, and you wonder why nobody takes you seriously. LOL
Grow up. You speak for everyone with internet access now? Have at it, but just know anyone that takes an anonymous blogger seriously has personal issues.

Let me give you a history lesson....the Western Reserve, a land claim on behalf of Connecticut during late 18th century, was one of the epicenters of Indian life in what is now the United States. Settlers waged war on the indigenous population, nearly wiping them out and forcing the survivors to Canada or the American Plains. A major league sports team is the most prestigious and recognizable economic label any region could have in American society. To find comfort labeling a region with the name and accompanying exploitative logo of a race that was eliminated with extreme prejudice from said region is disconcerting at the very least. Instead of Real Madrid, maybe they should change the name to Real Sephardi. Or Bayern Munich to Ashkenazim Munich. I'm done with you before some moderator holds me accountable for your striking ignorance.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:22 AM

39 posts, read 68,574 times
"Instead of Real Madrid, maybe they should change the name to Real Sephardi. Or Bayern Munich to Ashkenazim Munich."

I thought this was a discussion about a sports team?

I agree completely with your statement on not telling minorities how to feel about their place in society. That is why I have no opinion on the matter until a majority or at least a significant portion of the Indian population says they are offended. Based on my admittedly limited personal experience as well as national polls, most say they are not offended so who am I to tell them they should be? Have you even had this discussion with anyone that is a serious member of a tribal nation?

Old 05-25-2011, 09:31 AM

39 posts, read 68,574 times
BTW, I'm pretty sure the original poster was not really serious about changing the name to Native Americans but just to show you always will **** somebody off, a lot of Indians prefer to be called Indians because America is the white man's name for this country.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:54 PM

125 posts, read 262,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketel View Post
"Instead of Real Madrid, maybe they should change the name to Real Sephardi. Or Bayern Munich to Ashkenazim Munich."

I thought this was a discussion about a sports team?

I agree completely with your statement on not telling minorities how to feel about their place in society. That is why I have no opinion on the matter until a majority or at least a significant portion of the Indian population says they are offended. Based on my admittedly limited personal experience as well as national polls, most say they are not offended so who am I to tell them they should be? Have you even had this discussion with anyone that is a serious member of a tribal nation?
I don't understand why one would have to be a "serious" member of a tribal nation to be offended. I'm part Native American myself, but if I wasn't, I still would be offended at the suggestiveness of the brand Cleveland Indians. Native Americans don't exactly have the loudest voice in this nation, so I don't hold my breath waiting for someone to listen if a group did choose to vocalize their concerns. Hell, it might have happened years ago and was brushed under the rug, maybe not. I don't wait for someone of a particular ethnicity to co-sign a personal sentiment of mine. If I feel discrimination or exploitation is occurring, I don't agree with it, cut and dry.

This post wasn't an attack on you, I realize it may have come off a bit aggressive. I just feel that regardless of ethnicity, we all have the ability to recognize if another group is being exploited.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:40 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowingdown View Post
I don't understand why one would have to be a "serious" member of a tribal nation to be offended. I'm part Native American myself, but if I wasn't, I still would be offended at the suggestiveness of the brand Cleveland Indians. Native Americans don't exactly have the loudest voice in this nation, so I don't hold my breath waiting for someone to listen if a group did choose to vocalize their concerns.
So you'll step up and speak for them and let them know how they should feel.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:03 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
So I take it people are no longer interested in the topic and instead decided to fight over race and racism ? This thread will get closed if the impression I'm getting is correct, so please prove me wrong and get back on topic.
Yac.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:17 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,331 times
the name Indians was derived from a team member who was a Indian we have things with more importance than the PC B.S. look at the east high
mascot mess its just plan stupid!
I am Irish should I try to get rid of the "fighting Irish"????? B.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: