Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 06:53 PM

367 posts, read 620,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
I've lived in the Cleveland suburbs for a few years through 2007. I know both cities well. Both are very nice, despite any preceding reputation. Here's some of my thoughts:

Cleveland
-slightly better music scene
-slightly better dining scene
-easier to maneuver the city highways from point A to point B
-one of the easiest large cities in America to just drive right into downtown
-the business community acts "holier than thou". Alot of "attitude" that you don't get elsewhere. I've never understood this.
-need to gain control of local govt. the corruption is unbelievable. Also have to go through ridiculous amounts of red tape for private owned business
-terrible crime in the close burbs right next to downtown (east side, etc..). Every city has this to a point, but its downright frightening. The city needs to make a MAJOR move to control this lawlessness.
-great medical care

Pittsburgh
-prettiest skyline in America. Beautiful downtown
-hockey and football are huge here. Baseball owners need (should be forced by the city..) to sell the team with someone who has some $$$$
-very friendly people
-if you know the local roads and highways, you're good. If not, can be awful confusing to someone new or visiting
-a very "green" city. Lots of trees/plants etc
-the revitalization of the city. The old "smoky, dirty" city is gone. Very clean now. Definitely a cleaner city than Cleveland.
-some of the suburbs are expensive to live in.
-great medical care

Those are just a few quick thoughts that immediately come to mind. Both cities have quite a few similarities, but are quite different. Both very nice places to live.
Good compare and contrast, but I would say that Clevelands food and music scenes are far better than Pittsburgh. I just moved to Pittsburgh, from Cleveland and I am really enjoying it, but I miss the great Cleveland restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 07:15 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,831,083 times
I am definitely noticing how many "gritty" suburbs there are here, especially on the Eastside. It seems that poverty, grit and some crime are a fact of life around here, which is pretty different than what I am used to in Minneapolis (even the northside, which is more poverty-stricken, poor, African-American, etc.).

Old 06-07-2011, 09:51 PM

261 posts, read 586,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I am definitely noticing how many "gritty" suburbs there are here, especially on the Eastside. It seems that poverty, grit and some crime are a fact of life around here, which is pretty different than what I am used to in Minneapolis (even the northside, which is more poverty-stricken, poor, African-American, etc.).
It's definitely not uncommon to have pockets of extreme wealth right next to impoverished areas on the Eastside. It's actually a common thing in a lot of the Great Lakes cities, more examples like Oak Park bordering west Chicago, Grosse Pointe next to east Detroit, etc so I wouldn't expect it to be common to that extent in Minneapolis.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:16 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,878,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
LOL

If you think Forbes has any relevance to Clevelanders, think again.
Forbes is a joke, and in my honest opinion, Pittsburgh isn't the cleanest city, not even close.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:54 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,812,326 times
Cuyahoga, Allegheny executives talk economic development, government collaboration | cleveland.com

Quote:
Cuyahoga, Allegheny executives talk economic development, government collaboration

Published: Monday, May 07, 2012, 6:00 AM

By Laura Johnston, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Once dependent on steel, they're working to retool themselves as Hollywood backlots, hubs of innovation lined with waterfront recreation.

Pittsburgh's Allegheny County, though, has so far outpaced Cuyahoga County's efforts, in no small part due to a sleek reform government that replaced a slate of elected officials with one executive. Voters approved a county charter there in 1998, 11 years before Cuyahoga adopted its own.

"You can't argue with their results," said Cuyahoga's FitzGerald. "They're growing as a county, and we can't say that."

Since 2008, Pittsburgh's job growth has been among the best in the nation, its renaissance mostly fueled by gains in health care, education and energy.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:58 AM

16,479 posts, read 19,512,945 times
Hmmm.... wonder what ever happened to CLEJOE?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: