Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 11:49 AM

8 posts, read 9,577 times

Advertisements

Hello all:

I may be moving to the Cleveland area soon for a new job (from TX), and as I know next to nothing about the area (having driven through a few times), I am looking for any suggestions about areas to look for an apartment in or areas to avoid.

In general, my main focal point for my job will be the airport, so I want to be close to it (although I've no need to be under the planes coming and going), so I was figuring West/SW side, hopefully within 30 minutes. Google maps says Elyria is 30 minutes away, but I have no clue (I just looked around the city and decided to look more closely there).

It will be just myself (mid-20s) so I was thinking I won't really need more than an efficiency apartment, but if pets were allowed, that would be a plus. I'd like to stay $500/mo or under, but if it were, you know, clean and in a decent complex or whatever that would be nice. I'd rather not have to get my CHL just to go to and from work every day, but that may be a foregone conclusion.

Much obliged for any help, and I can answer any questions that might help narrow the search down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 01:17 PM

16,455 posts, read 19,483,348 times
Westpark neighborhood of Cleveland. Nice aprtments on Rocky River Drive.

Berea. Middleburg Heights.
No need to look anywhere else.

You do not need to go to Elyira at all. Drop that from your search right now.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:55 PM

Haha, will do, thanks. Elyria a bad spot or just too far? I expect Lorain is the same?

How is Berea on airport noise? Are all the ones you mentioned fairly resonably-priced areas? It looked like south (Strongsville) were very pricey.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:31 PM

236 posts, read 459,728 times
Hello!

You will like Rocky River area for sure. Another fantastic location, extremely close to the airport, is North Olmsted. Super nice out there, great place to live, with plenty of shopping!

Old 07-08-2011, 04:36 PM

Excellent, thanks. Any recommendations on websites to use? I'm looking on craigslist and it seems to be alright, but there may well be a better local resource I'm not aware of.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:14 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,267,965 times
You might also try Lakewood. Lots of reasonably-priced rentals and only about fifteen minutes from the airport (but far enough away that airplane noise won't be a problem).

Old 07-09-2011, 09:10 AM

306 posts, read 817,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSteel View Post
Haha, will do, thanks. Elyria a bad spot or just too far? I expect Lorain is the same?

How is Berea on airport noise? Are all the ones you mentioned fairly resonably-priced areas? It looked like south (Strongsville) were very pricey.
I consider Elyria and Lorain to be declining areas. There are some decent neighborhoods in both cities but there isn't necessarily a reason for you to live there when there's better possibilities closer to the airport.

I would say most of the cities mentioned are fairly affordable. I don't know your price range but the cost of living throughout Northeast Ohio is pretty low.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:58 PM

I'm coming from San Antonio, so going by numbers listed online, the area in general will likely be slightly more expensive than here (mostly in terms of food and utility costs). Still, being relatively close to the airport would be helpful then, I should think.

Here, I'm used to thinking that 30 minutes is very close to the airport, but up there, I suppose things are rather different.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:49 PM

65 posts, read 163,746 times
Check out West Park. If you're working at the Hopkins Airport, you'd likely have free parking. BUT if you live in West Park, you can take the train in to work whenever you felt like it (or needed to if the car was in the shop). There are many nice areas, but as a reference point, google-map: "14300 Lorain Avenue, Cleveland, OH". You'll see the rail line and the stations along it. The same line also takes you to Downtown Cleveland as well. Its a nice, safe area. If you don't care about the train, you can still consider West Park, but also Lakewood, Ohio City, and Tremont. Elyria and Lorain are pretty far west and you'd have more fun being closer to Downtown CLE--both in general and on your days off.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:09 PM

Trains? What are these "trains" of which you speak? Do they run fairly frequently, I'm guessing? It would be nice not to have to salt up my car too badly in the winter.

I won't be working only at the airport (interview monday, so I can't claim any of this just yet) but that's supposed to be my main point of call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland