Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:37 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,652,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthesier View Post
Hello,
Thank you all so very much for your replies. Sorry for the delay.We currently are expats on assignment in Shanghai, China (hence the 'iffiness of internet and email @ times) & we are moving to Cleveland...a corp apartment for a while.
We want to be between the airport and Euclid. Preferably near universities......

What are the warehouse district apartments like?
What would be the best to look for in Little Italy?

Thank you again for all of your help.

Cheers,
Phyllis
I don't know to much on the Warehouse District and Little Italy,but I do know that they are two of the more upscale areas of Cleveland.The Warehouse District has alot of nightlife.Little Italy has alot of resturants.Its a mostly Italian neighborhood,altrough when I was there I saw a mix of races.I don't know how much apartments are in these areas,but these are two popular areas of Cleveland so there probably more expensive than most areas in the Cleveland area.Commute in Cleveland is not bad,there usually isn't big traffic jams.So I don't think your commute times will be bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 06:01 PM

2 posts, read 8,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Euclid is nowhere near as bad as East Cleveland.Im from there I should know.Im not going to lie theres definetly some dicey areas of Euclid,but its not like your going to get shot just walking into Euclid.Im not living in Euclid right now,but I know alot of people from there.They say the area has declined,but I haven't heard anyone say that Euclid is like East Cleveland.I was just back visiting Euclid.I never felt threatened when I was living there,and I never felt threatened when I was back visiting there.The crime rate for Euclid in 2006 was 312.7,which I think is below the national average.There was no homicides in Euclid in 2006,and in 2007 there was only 3.Euclid also doesn't have all the boarded up buissness and houses like East Cleveland.
Hmmm, when was the last time you came through Euclid? Businesses boarding up left and right. Most of the strip malls in the areas are losing stores daily. There are NO jobs in this area at all. St. Roberts which has been in the area for YEARS has closed the school.
Yes, I agree, Euclid is fast becoming the new East Cleveland. My home is now in foreclosure, due to the fact of ever falling home prices in the area. I now owe about 10,000 more on it than what it is worth. At last count, there are over 450 homes in foreclosure, most simply abandoned and falling into disrepair. Destined to become HUD homes or section 8 housing. Stay out of Euclid, at all costs. Bitter? Yes, I am, I have lived here for 18yrs, and am now being forced out through no fault of my own. I can't wait to get out of here.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:11 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,984,887 times
taxes in any of the heights are excruciating! $4800 a year on a $160k house in mayfield. lyndhurst is cheaper on taxes because of the schools... mayfield has the better school.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:25 PM

124 posts, read 713,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
taxes in any of the heights are excruciating! $4800 a year on a $160k house in mayfield. lyndhurst is cheaper on taxes because of the schools... mayfield has the better school.
You mean more like $3000 per year on the house in mayfield heights and it would cost you more in lyndhurst since the taxes are higher there. Taxes in Mayfield Heights are 1.81% of the market value vs 2.28% in Lyndhurst.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:51 PM

59 posts, read 220,704 times
I'll have to second whoever said Euclid is the new East Cleveland. Present-day Euclid is probably a lot like East Cleveland in the late 60s, early 70s. There are still good parts in Euclid (just like there are still good parts in East Cleveland to this day, the Forest Park area is beautiful), but it is declining rapidly because it is losing it's home ownership base and those are being replaced by renters. I haven't been out there much in the last five years, but even in the early 2000s you could tell it was going downhill. The western part of the city and some of the areas south of I-90, even near the Wickliffe border (east of Babbit along Euclid) weren't great. Euclid still hasn't experienced the major crime hike that East Cleveland did, but unfortunately, I think it will come in the next 5-10 years if things don't change.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:33 PM

my house is valued at 160k and i just paid $2377 for the half!

Old 04-11-2008, 11:36 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
Euclid isnt that bad. I mean, its not great, buts is a huge step up from Cleveland and East Cleveland. Euclid isnt even comparable to East Cleveland.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:48 AM

you can get a house very very very reasonable in euclid.. buy a duplex, rent the other half = free house

Old 04-24-2008, 02:27 AM

6 posts, read 27,612 times
Cool my childhood home

Euclid was my childhood home,and I will always feel a kind of love for this city.This said,I must say that it makes me very sad to see the poverty,the crime,the run down houses....Euclid was a hardworking factory town when I was a kid.Our parents took great pride in keeping up our homes and lawns.There were unwritten laws of respect towards your neighbors,that our families enforced.Our schools had a reputation for excellence then.There was alot of strong ethnic pride,and Christian faith.It wasnt a fancy,glamorous city,but it was clean,safe,respectable,home to an abundance of factory jobs,loaded with kids....and you never heard of any serious crime.I remember,back in the 70's,how shocked we were when an intruder stole someones coin collection!!Now people are being murdered!School teacher Marilyn Habian was murdered in my old home in Euclid.I lived there many years,and it scares the living daylights out of me to think that if we had not moved out of that house,my family would probably have been the ones killed.May that dear lady rest in peace and her killer be brought to justice...I am glad I moved out,because my daughter has autism,and went through hell in the Euclid school system.When we moved to Lyndhust,everthing changed for her.She recieved the help she needed,and really blossomed.I bought a house in south Euclid,to keep my kids in this really good school system.We have the highest graduation rate for young black male high school students in the state,and have won awards for being an excellent school system for children with disabilities(two of my three kids have Asperger Syndrome).I am sad for Euclid,my dear Mother still lives there in my childhood home.Her neighborhood(east 260 area)still seems well kept and pleasant,and she has no intention of moving.All of her old neighbors packed up and headed for Lake County.Most of it,I have no doubt,was because of fear of African American people moving in.Thats one thing that was very bad,whenI was growing up...Euclid was unbelievably racist..and proud of it.Neighbors sat on front porches and talked about how they hated black people."I will sell my house if THOSE PEOPLE ever get in here,they would proclaim.I remember when Rev.Martin Luther King was killed.My Mom and me watched his funeral on t.v.Afterwards,I was outside on the driveway singing "We shall overcome,black and white together,someday,I know in my heart,and I do believe,that we shall overcome,some..day"(I had heard it sung at the funeral on t.v.) My Mom came flying outside,pulled me inside,and in frightened,hushed tones,told me to NEVER sing that song,because the neighbors would hear me,and call them n-----lovers!!I was confused,my Mom admired Rev.King,felt sorrow at his death,but was so afraid that someone would find outEven at the age of 7,I knew that was hypocritical,and it made me sad.I vowed in my heart to be different.My kids have friends who are white,black,Jewish,Arabic,Hispanic,gay,lesbian,Cat holic,disabled,biracial,Russian,Asian,you name it,they have a friend who fits the description!....Aligal

Old 04-24-2008, 04:30 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
Yes, it is sad how far Euclid has gone downhill since the old days. Euclid is not alone in this though, a lot of cities have gone far downhill especially in NE Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland