Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 08:32 AM

4 posts, read 6,905 times

Advertisements

I work with clients on both east and west sides of Cleveland.
Westside I head to: westlake, rocky river, strongsville, berea/middleburgh heights, medina (this side is heavily traveled for clients only about 5 months a year anywhere from 2-5 days/week...)
eastside Im in: cleveland heights, pepper pike, braenhal, moreland hills. (im on this side with clients every weekend)

I currently live about 1 hour soutwest of cleveland. and I always thought living closer to the city would help with commutes.

I originally wanted to live on the westside because it would be between my east side clients and home....but I guess I dont care which side Im on, as long as the commute is good.

I am a young single professional woman. I am from a small small place, and I love the feel of it. I want to have a place that has a cute downtown area, where its safe to walk/run, ride bike. when I am not working I dont wanna be driving everywhere, so close to shops, grocery stores, ect will be ideal. Its not practical that I can live in an area that is expensive though.

I am looking at a house I found in south euclid. first time Im looking on east side. I have noticed that south euclid doesnt even have a downtown, so I am a little worried what i will find.

the downside I am finding with east side, is that there are no highways, therefore it seems like the commute to the westside will still take about as long as I am driving now, but half the distance. thats annoying. no wonder why the east siders dont like coming to the westside and vise versa.

I dont think I want to be in downtown cleveland or close to, I dont want to be in the city. I want to have some space between neighbors and have a yrd, atleast 1/4 acre.

am I asking too much to be closer to work? any suggestions on where to live to get that "small town" feel, safe, walkable, where the community is united?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 10:00 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,200,711 times
You should live in Tremont.

Tremont West Development Corporation - Tremont West Development Corporation

It's close to downtown, walkable, has good highway access, and has many trendy and popular places where young single professionals mingle at.

The downside there is city schools, but that does not sound like an issue since you don't have kids.

Tremont is urban and in the city though, and you will have close neighbors. Although, you may be able to find a place with a small yard. Having space between your neighbors and being in a walkable community do not usually go hand-in-hand, so you will probably have to sacrifice one of those.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:07 PM

yeah, not digging the city. I wanna get out in the suburbs where I can centralize. and walking to everything isnt necessary, but where I can breath and get a run in where its safe and may be able to get to here and there without having to get myself in the car all the time- or atleast have conviences only a few mins away by car.
If I had to sacrafice one, it would be the walkability to everything.
I will be putting in an inground pool and small garden, so I do need that yard space. and I love the smell of cutting the grass.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:45 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,410,872 times
To be honest, most suburbs aren't very "walkable"(since you included walkability in your OP). Of course, there are exceptions. Some of the inner ring suburbs like Lakewood and Cleveland Heights are extremely walkable. Granted, in most other cities in the U.S, these 'suburbs' would be a part of the city. Cleveland is goofy like that.

If you're willing to sacrifice walkability, I'd consider Chagrin Falls and Willoughby on the east side. Both towns have a nice "downtown" area, but both would be one hell of hike to places like Berea and Medina.

I'm not really sure about the west side. Typical Clevelander...

Honestly, I think it's silly that you're flat-out not considering the city. You can't get much more central than that. Why not sacrifice the in-ground pool for the ability to do things like shop, dine, etc without using your car? I'm not very familiar with the neighborhood, but Kamm's corners calls itself "Cleveland's suburb in the city". Check out their website:

Kamm's Corners Development Corporation

Old 09-08-2011, 08:55 AM

yeah, Im finding its just not gonna work too well of centralizing without going into the city.
yesterday while looking at houses on the east side I had a client call from Rocky River and I got to see first hand how the drive out would be. I didnt like it a bit. I thought I may as well stay in my little town in Huron County if the drive is going to take that long. and its true, the hike from east to anywhere west is insane! even if it says its only 15 miles away.
I guess people say I would be a country girl. I live in a small town...in town...but town is surrounded by cornfields and its miles (like 20) to the next town.
I have heard great things about kamms corners and have driven through it a few times, so I will continue to check that out.
and I willl just keep doing what I am doing and Ill find the place that seems to fit me just right till then I will be doing the math of how much/long it will take me living on either side and working....and do the breakdown if I did live in city.
I wish each side werent like night and day.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:45 AM

16,501 posts, read 19,575,896 times
Independence. Very centrally located. Excellent freeway access. Sort of a "downtown" on Rockside.
Kind of a strip mally feeling.
Berea. A little cheaper then Independence. Cuter "downtown" (Front Street). Good freeway access.

And you pretty much nailed why I hate the east side.
I call it landlocked because freeway access is pitiful....

Of course I know better ways to get to Little Italy but a GPS has me drive downtown... get off at Chester... drive all the way down Chester....
It's ridiculous.
(Of course I take MLK off 90... but...)

Last edited by Peregrine; 09-08-2011 at 09:58 AM..

Old 09-08-2011, 11:02 AM

4,637 posts, read 4,945,167 times
Berea makes a lot of sense. There's also Olmsted Falls, which is a lot like Berea but smaller, less commerce downtown, and 10 minutes farther from the freeway.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:07 PM

126 posts, read 338,694 times
I was also thinking about Independence. I've heard that it has very low taxes and it's right below Cleveland, so it's about as close to the middle as you can get. It's also positioned at some big highways.

I've never lived there or known anyone who lives there, but it seems to be a suburban type of place. I'm sure you could find a house with a decent yard. You won't be able to walk to stores, but you said that you'd rather sacrifice that than your open space.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:10 PM

thanks! I love Berea. and find olmsted falls very cute! those have been my first pics, but didnt know how it measured out with being somewhat centeralized.
Ill check out independence.
Im looking at house tomorrow in Kamms Corner like another person had mentioned. been google mapping my clients and this does seem like its not quite even but a lot better!

I like being in East cleveland when I work there, but youre right, its like youre stranded there.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:59 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,410,872 times
If you're willing to sacrifice having a walkable downtown area, then I would definetly consider Independence.

Side Note: If you're a country girl, then you'd probably feel more comfortable on the west side. Most of Cleveland's inner ring suburbs on the east side are rather diverse. On the east side, you'd have to go as far east as Lake and Geauga counties before you start seeing the type of racial homogeneity that is pretty common on the west side.

Yeah, I said it.

*ducks*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland