Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 01:52 PM

13 posts, read 30,707 times

Advertisements

Im not expecting a suburban paraise in Westaprk or Lakewood. Serious crimes seem to be rare in both areas which is a good thing.

I peronally liked the strip on Lorain Ave and didn't see anything there that would make me feel unsafe. Although I admit I'm far from an expert on WP. Driving on the side streets on both sides of Lorain gave me nothng but a good impression of the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 02:40 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,912,163 times
My comments are not meant to be put-downs of WP; trust me, it is out of concern. This was the most segregated neighborhood in Cleveland...probably still is, but that is changing.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideIrishman View Post
Im not expecting a suburban paraise in Westaprk or Lakewood. Serious crimes seem to be rare in both areas which is a good thing.

I peronally liked the strip on Lorain Ave and didn't see anything there that would make me feel unsafe. Although I admit I'm far from an expert on WP. Driving on the side streets on both sides of Lorain gave me nothng but a good impression of the area.
West Park is a nice area. I personally like the streets north of Lorain; I mean Rocky River Drive at Marquis is not Rocky River Drive at Puritas.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I read your post. Don't be like that. I am not offended... yet. No need to act like that.

I was referring to your "urban Clevelanders" casing the joint. Casing the joint to rob it, right? Wasn't that the implication? Isn't that why you "case" something?
That's what I assumed.

I certainly don't consider myself a "Kamms Newbie". I may have just moved there 6 years ago but I have been hanging out there for a very long time. I have at least a dozen close friends that live in the area and have for YEARS... two of them for more then 20 years.

And what does your name have to do with anything? I can create a name like "Nuclear Physicist"... doesn't really mean anything....

It's all good man. I'll buy you a beer at Smedleys any night of the week and we can seriously discuss this... or Red Lanetern, Or WPS, or Backstage or or or....
If your screen name was Nuclear Physicist and a thread about nuclear physicists came up, I would think you might have some credibility about the topic...Kamms screen name since early 2010, not last week. Yes one ''cases'' a place for a robbery; not a good sign that's all...never heard of a robbery in a bar in Kamms but that was not something cool to see.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:05 AM

420 posts, read 1,037,836 times
Well dare I again get into this mess , but I will . First one should always read all posts by a Poster before going back and forth on a issue , It seems to me when a poster is so high strung on picking apart an area , you will find a pattern of discontent , though-out thier postings in Cle forums or other posts mentioning Cleveland and KAMMS is no exception IMO.
While some important issues should not be over looked , Is that the out come anyone here is really trying to achieve?
Listen , I have lived a lot of Cleveland's recent history from the mid seventies ,
seeing my old buckeye woodland hood ,go down ,( Shaker Square) to seeing University Circle NOT BEING AN OK PLACE , Little Italy ,being almost gone, to what it is today .
That said , those eastside areas , are going strong .
Get involved with your city neighborhood , If you can't because your not a resident . DARE I SAY
BECOME ONE , If you really care

Old 09-17-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydudeallover View Post
Well dare I again get into this mess , but I will . First one should always read all posts by a Poster before going back and forth on a issue , It seems to me when a poster is so high strung on picking apart an area , you will find a pattern of discontent , though-out thier postings in Cle forums or other posts mentioning Cleveland and KAMMS is no exception IMO.
While some important issues should not be over looked , Is that the out come anyone here is really trying to achieve?
Listen , I have lived a lot of Cleveland's recent history from the mid seventies ,
seeing my old buckeye woodland hood ,go down ,( Shaker Square) to seeing University Circle NOT BEING AN OK PLACE , Little Italy ,being almost gone, to what it is today .
That said , those eastside areas , are going strong .
Get involved with your city neighborhood , If you can't because your not a resident . DARE I SAY
BECOME ONE , If you really care
Fix the mess that is the Cleveland Public Schools and you'll get lots of involvement in city neighborhoods by middle class families of all races, creeds etc...just like it used to be in Cleveland pre-1979.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:35 AM

1979 being the year of Cleveland's final coffin nail when forced busing went into effect...32 years ago!

Old 09-17-2011, 01:35 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,407,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
1979 being the year of Cleveland's final coffin nail when forced busing went into effect...32 years ago!
This is very true.

For better or worse, Cleveland has always been a city with different ethnic and racial enclaves. At some point in the twentieth century, public leaders decided this was racist, and made it a point to reverse this trend by "integrating" public schools. Surely, this would end racism, and in the process "diversify" the public school systems.

The opposite happened. The remaining ethnic groups left in droves and these policies that were meant to help disadvantaged minorities only worked against them. Now the entire public school system has an incredibly small tax base, and most families with enough money(regardless of race) moved out of the city decades ago.

Until Clevelanders (and Americans as a whole) realize that government intervention hurts society more than it helps, we will be stuck with dying cities and prosperous suburbs.

Neighborhoods and districts like Ohio City, Tremont, Warehouse district, east 4th, University Circle, etc will continue to attract young professionals, but it still doesn't change the fact that most Clevelanders with children will move to the suburbs because of the school issue.

No government policy can fix this--only a respect and care for your neighborhood will bring people back.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
This is very true.

For better or worse, Cleveland has always been a city with different ethnic and racial enclaves. At some point in the twentieth century, public leaders decided this was racist, and made it a point to reverse this trend by "integrating" public schools. Surely, this would end racism, and in the process "diversify" the public school systems.

The opposite happened. The remaining ethnic groups left in droves and these policies that were meant to help disadvantaged minorities only worked against them. Now the entire public school system has an incredibly small tax base, and most families with enough money(regardless of race) moved out of the city decades ago.

Until Clevelanders (and Americans as a whole) realize that government intervention hurts society more than it helps, we will be stuck with dying cities and prosperous suburbs.

Neighborhoods and districts like Ohio City, Tremont, Warehouse district, east 4th, University Circle, etc will continue to attract young professionals, but it still doesn't change the fact that most Clevelanders with children will move to the suburbs because of the school issue.

No government policy can fix this--only a respect and care for your neighborhood will bring people back.
Condescending liberal whites had much to do with ''integrating'' Cleveland; of course, they didn't live in the city nor did their kids go to CPSs...just made them feel good about themselves by helping city negroes. Lots of class-religion and racial issues in Cleveland of the 1960s-1970s.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
This is very true.

Another thing about Cleveland was every ethnic enclave disliked the other ethnic enclaves...very clannish...and of course everyone disliked the black enclaves...and the black enclaves disliked all the white enclaves and the puerto rican ohio city area etc. etc. And when these areas started breaking apart, with Cleveland's small city-limits size area, one would be in a suburb quickly...a neighborhood jump further east or west and you oftens times out of the city...but the school fiasco of the 60s-70s was the final push for everyone to head over the city limits anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland