Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 08:27 AM

6 posts, read 48,610 times

Advertisements

Sorry for another 'Moving to Cleveland' Thread.

We will be moving to Cleveland around Oct. We have 2 kids 5 and 8 year old.
We have narrowed down on West side of Cleveland.

- We are looking for area where lots of new construction coming up.
- Good schools.

- Does Westlake Lake has new construction? Our budget is 200K can you buy basic 3 bed 2 bath newer house in west lake?
- How long it takes to drive from WestLake to Downtown in peak hours?

How about Avon/Avon Lake?
- How long it takes to drive from Avon to Downtown in peak hours?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 09:00 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,655,803 times
Im not to familiar with Westlake,but I think you can buy a house in that price range there.Schools are very good in Westlake.Commute from Westlake to Cleveland or Avon/Avon Lake to Cleveland,probably 15-20 minutes.Traffic is never that bad in Cleveland,even when it is bad its nothing like a Chicago or Denver.You don't have to say sorry for putting up another moving to Cleveland thread,thats what this website is for really,to give people info if there relocating.Hope you like the Cleveland area.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:42 PM

20 posts, read 95,944 times
Default Westlake, Avon and Avon Lake

are all suburbs with very good public school systems. There is more new construction in Avon and Avon Lake, because Westlake is mostly "built-out".
The commute downtown is easy. Cleveland's traffic is not bad.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:40 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,924,857 times
I live in Lorain county and there are a lot of new construction in some Eastern Lorain County neighborhoods. You can get something in the 200k range in Avon, Avon Lake, North Ridgeville, and Westlake. North Ridgeville is a really nice place to live that has a lot of new construction coming a lot of new houses already built there. North Ridgeville is about a 15-20 minute drive to downtown Cleveland. Other good westside areas are Rocky River and Lakewood.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:23 AM

The only bad thing with Lakewood,is it is a inner-ring suburb,its starting to get problems on its Eastside.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:21 PM

5 posts, read 22,941 times
commute will be about 15-20 minutes sans traffic.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:21 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
The only bad thing with Lakewood,is it is a inner-ring suburb,its starting to get problems on its Eastside.
True, but if you like beautiful, old 1920s houses, interesting shops/restaurants and walkability, awesome library, fast downtown commute and very close proximity to the lake, it's great. There is some redevelopment happening on Lakewood's East side that I think will vastly improve that situation, but only time will tell. They just built 4 brand-new elementary and middle schools as well as a brand new library, townhouses etc...

Old 08-20-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
True, but if you like beautiful, old 1920s houses, interesting shops/restaurants and walkability, awesome library, fast downtown commute and very close proximity to the lake, it's great. There is some redevelopment happening on Lakewood's East side that I think will vastly improve that situation, but only time will tell. They just built 4 brand-new elementary and middle schools as well as a brand new library, townhouses etc...
Im not sayin Lakewood is a bad place to live,I just think theres a little more crime on the Eastside of Lakewood now,and Im talking like by the border of Cleveland.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:19 PM

9 posts, read 57,371 times
I live in Westlake and its a great community, about a 20 minute commute to downtown (depending on how close you live to I-90) and really close to shopping, restaurants. etc. Its also a VERY family oriented community. $200K will probably get you an older, 2000 sq ft/3 bdrm home, but there are no "bad" parts of Westlake, just newer developments and older areas.

I would definitely look into Avon and Avon Lake. They border Westlake, but are in Lorain Co. where the home prices and property taxes are considerably lower than Westlake. Both are right off of I-90 so your commute time is just a few minutes longer than from Westlake. Avon Lake is a little more expensive of the two, but a lot of the older homes are really reasonable considering their proximity to the lake. Avon has LOTS of new construction, a lot in the mid-200K range, but you might be able to find something for less than that. The schools in all three cities are rated "excellent" (ratings just came out in last weeks Cleveland Plain Dealer, you can check them out online).

I would NOT consider Lakewood... they do have some beautiful older homes but crime is increasing and the schools are struggling. If Avon and Avon Lake are out of your price range, go a little further west or south (North Ridgeville, Amherst, Olmsted Falls) -- they're up & coming communities with above average schools.

Good Luck! Northeast Ohio is a great place to live!

Old 08-20-2007, 05:07 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlow8 View Post
I would NOT consider Lakewood... they do have some beautiful older homes but crime is increasing and the schools are struggling.
That is totally subjective statement. Believe it or not, there are people who prefer historic towns over newer subdivisions. Not everyone, but more than you may think. I know dozens of people with kids who live in Lakewood and they're doing just fine. And like I said, the city just built 4 brand new schools, so I think things are much better than "struggling". It's a different lifestyle though. More urban for sure (bad and good), but authentic and unique. Again, it's about preference.

As far as crime numbers go, remember that Lakewood has over 50,000 citizens living there, so it stands to reason that there will be higher numbers. It's much more dense than Westlake and Avon which were nothing but farms and small communities 20 years ago. Also the police force in Lakewood is really proactive and do a real fine job of keeping order. And while I would agree that the part of Lakewood that's having some issues is the Eastern portion near Cleveland, many of those assumptions are overblown and inaccurate.

If newer suburbs are what you want however, you might also consider Strongsville, which has many options in terms of housing. The schools are also decent from what I've heard (of course you'll need to do your own research on that), and the commute to Cleveland is about the same as Avon and Westlake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: