Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 01:15 PM

9 posts, read 47,851 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

Though I've made several visits to Cleveland, I've never really explored the city and I don't know the area very well. I'm coming from Pittsburgh to see a show at House of Blues in October and I was hoping to get some answers about the area.

1. Is the area safe to walk at night? I'm hoping to stay somewhere nearby (walking distance, or a short cab ride if necessary), and I just didn't want to come out of this concert and find myself in any interesting situations. I'll be with at least one other person, and I'm generally not too worried about walking anywhere at night, but coming out of a concert in an unfamiliar city and walking into a bad part of town is just asking for trouble.

2. Any recommendations for a relaxed, preferably inexpensive, bar to hang at for a while before the show? I like low-key type bars. The kind of place that you can go in, have a few beers, play some darts, and not spend $50?

3. Finally, does anyone have any comments on House of Blues? I've never been, but I hear good things about the venue. I'm excited for this visit!

I appreciate the insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 01:58 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
1. Very safe. HOB is in an "entertainment district".
You won't have any problems.
This is where you will be:
http://www.east4thstreet.com/

2. I would recommend the "Little Bar and Grill" on Frankfort.
Let me get an address for you....
Little Bar and Grill
614 Frankfort Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44113-1207
(216) 861-2166
Also in another "entertainment district." No problem walking between these 2 areas.

3. One of my favorite places to see a show. Very intimate. Don't forget to check out the upstairs area. Usually less crowded up there.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:08 PM

I'm glad to hear that it's a good area, then. I kind of figured as much looking at the map, but you never quite know.

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely check out the upstairs. From what I've been reading, it sounds like a fun venue.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:19 PM

191 posts, read 442,551 times
That's a very safe and fun area. You should have a good time. Let us know if you need hotel or parking recommendations.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:22 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,283,509 times
It's definitely in a great area.

If you like to play darts, Flannery's Irish Pub has a couple dart boards ...it's located on the same street.

Flannery's Pub (Cleveland, Ohio) - Come In and Welcome.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:15 AM

Little Bar has darts upstairs, too. Little Bar is like the typical "corner bar". One of the few downtown.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:29 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,175,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bum100 View Post
Hi everyone!

Though I've made several visits to Cleveland, I've never really explored the city and I don't know the area very well. I'm coming from Pittsburgh to see a show at House of Blues in October and I was hoping to get some answers about the area.
Welcome!

Quote:
1. Is the area safe to walk at night? I'm hoping to stay somewhere nearby (walking distance, or a short cab ride if necessary), and I just didn't want to come out of this concert and find myself in any interesting situations. I'll be with at least one other person, and I'm generally not too worried about walking anywhere at night, but coming out of a concert in an unfamiliar city and walking into a bad part of town is just asking for trouble.
Downtown, as a whole, is quite safe. Like in any bigger city, just keep your eyes open and stay vigilant.

The E. 4th area (to reiterate) is an upscale entertainment area. Other than the occasional street mooch, you shouldn't have any problems. There are at least 10 hotels (including 1 directly across the street -- Hyatt at the Arcade) within walking distance of the venue. I would stay at one of them, if possible. The Raddison, HI Express, Hampton Inn, Marriott, Rennaissance, Ritz-Carlton, Crowne Plaza, Residence Inn, Wyndham, and Embassy Suites are all within a few blocks of the venue. There is also a Hilton Garden Inn, a Doubletree, and a Comfort Inn within walking distance (about 1/2 mile or so for each).

Quote:
2. Any recommendations for a relaxed, preferably inexpensive, bar to hang at for a while before the show? I like low-key type bars. The kind of place that you can go in, have a few beers, play some darts, and not spend $50?
There really isn't a whole lot in the area that is over-the-top expensive. I would recommend Flannery's, City Tap, and the rooftop bar at the Greenhouse Tavern for starters. Other recommendations that have been made are also fine. Also, The Corner Alley (across the street from HOB) has both "upscale" bowling and a few billiards tables.

Quote:
3. Finally, does anyone have any comments on House of Blues? I've never been, but I hear good things about the venue. I'm excited for this visit!

I appreciate the insight!
It's an excellent venue. If the show you're going to see has a high sell-out potential, I would recommend buying balcony seats (usually only $5 more than GA). Or, if you are going with GA tickets, get to the show early and have some beers and bar snacks in the HOB restaurant beforehand. If you do this, you'll get first access to the GA area.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:37 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks! I appreciate all the suggestions. I'm thinking I might book a room at the HI Express nearby since it seems to be the most affordable (I'm on a pretty tight budget right now) and is only a short walk.

Since I already bought tickets to the show, I'm pretty excited about all of the bar suggestions. Having somewhere to relax and have a few beers before the show is always nice.

One other question that I just thought of: The HI Express says parking is $14 per day. While I don't necessarily mind paying that if I have to, is there anywhere within immediate walking distance of the area that would do more affordable overnight parking? Since I'll only be in town for one night, I'll probably just have a backpack with one change of clothes in it. I'm not too worried about having to walk to and from my car, the hotel, the venue, etc.

Thanks again!

Old 10-03-2011, 09:02 AM

Drives me nuts that Hotels charge for parking.

There are a ton of lots in that area. But the cheapest ones are going to be $6.00/day. Since you will be parking over night you would get charged for 2 nights. $12.00.

Just spend the $14.00.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:16 AM

Just had a quick thought. Is the show on a FRI or SAT?
If so, you could stay at a Hotel around West 150th and take the train downtown. That would be a cheaper room, no parking fee, and a $4.00 roud trip train ticket.

Not sure I'd recommend that to an out-of-towner on a Monday where there aren't as many people downtown and the trains don't run as late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: