Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 04:30 PM

5 posts, read 24,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
houlihan if i remember right became real religious and didnt want to do the show anymore , i saw him selling religious tapes on ted turners network in the eighties.
I must respond to this post and address the (apparently common) misconception as to why HOOLIHAN (and please spell the man's stage name correctly) left Cleveland.

Sorry, htlong, you do not remember right. Perhaps your source(s) need some gentle reproof. Your assistance would help, thank you.

He became a born-again Christian (not "religious", there IS a difference) in 1976 and, as one who is led by the Holy Spirit, received and accepted a job offer in Clearwater, FL to be part of a new Christian TV station to host, along with his wife Barbara, a variety/talk show called "Horizons 22" (the "22" being the channel number), leaving Cleveland in 1979. It was certainly NOT because he didn't want to do the show anymore. The decision to leave Cleveland and the show was not made without a great deal of sadness to leave a city he had grown to love and had grown to love him in return. Yes, he appeared in commercials shortly thereafter selling Bible tapes, but as a professional actor, he makes commercials as one of myriad means of making income. He still does, as he, at 74 years of age this month (September 27th), is far from being retired.

How do I know this in such detail? He is my father, and I just saw him last weekend to bury my mother and his wife of fifty-one years following a three-year battle with cancer. I will see him again next month for his induction into the Radio/Television Broadcasters Hall of Fame of Ohio, Sunday, Oct. 7th, along with Tim Conway, among others.

Please help spread the real story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 06:16 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,373,579 times
sorry to hear about your mother, i didn't realize that becoming religious and being reborn were two different concepts? anywhoo! just tell your dad hello and that i thank him for many great memories of my youth and i wish him well,
htlong

Old 09-20-2007, 06:16 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,768,544 times
Does "Original Captain Ozone" have anything to do with the fact that Hoolie was a fighter pilot?

I live in New Mexico now and no such type of local entertainment existed here as it did in Cleveland then or now. I try to explain who Ghoulardi, Chuck, Hoolihan was and they never heard of such a thing or had that type of upbringing. It must take that amalgam of ethnicity to give invention to such art form. Very few numbers of Euro-ethnic groups out here in NM, or just watered down from generations.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:34 AM

you purple knif....turn blue.....doortheey!

Old 09-22-2007, 11:16 PM

131 posts, read 693,340 times
There are several Big Chuck and Hoolihan/Little John clips on You Tube, but this is what really takes me back...the opening:

YouTube - Hoolihan and Big Chuck Show Opening

And who can forget Ben Crazy???

YouTube - 3 Hoolihan & Big Chuck Clips - 1978

In the second skit, Big Chuck even calls Pepsi "pop." I'll never forget when I left for college in Virginia and used that word for the first time. I was looked at like I had two heads!

Old 09-23-2007, 12:44 AM
WJD

38 posts, read 195,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiejane View Post
I was looked at like I had two heads!
I've had two heads many times!
Tree lawn......Sheeeeers (scissors)

Old 09-23-2007, 05:43 AM

hokie jane,
i was watching mayberry the other night and andy said, hey opie lets go down to the fillin station and get us a POP!
virginians call it a soda, when actually it is a soft drink...oh well i need a pop now

Old 09-23-2007, 10:06 PM

131 posts, read 693,340 times
All the girls from Virginia called it soda, as did my roommate from New York and a girl from Pittsburgh. I literally had a whole dorm room full of girls looking at me and laughing over "pop."

Here's an ingenius map that shows what term is used where. It seems "pop" goes hand in hand with playing Euchre.

http://popvssoda.com:2998/

Oh, I also eventually learned the hard way that "devil strip" is not a universallly known term.

Devil Strip, Devils Strip, Devil's Strip

Old 09-23-2007, 10:22 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
I think Big Chuck and lil jon are still doing commercials and things i think i remember seeing them on a commercial just cant remember what it was

They do the Pizza Pan commercials...and a waterproofing company commercial.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:12 AM

i wonder if big chuck could go back to camera four!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: