U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2011, 09:30 AM

766 posts, read 2,029,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr216 View Post
Cleveland would be better served by trying to suck up Euclid and East Cleveland maybe the desolate part of Cleveland Heights it would benefit everyone instead of talking about this "Black Flight" if someone moved to Euclid it still would be Cleveland so we wouldn't have to worry about population loss and loss of tax money which can deteriorate a city. It's amazing to look at this role reverse from 1990-2000 every ethnic group's population increased in Cleveland except for white (which is why the population still dropped) so to quickly get those pop. levels back and to stop in county fighting over residents they need to combine and work together it only can do some good. Even East Cleveland's Mayor is on board with the idea
It's not surprising that the mayor of East Cleveland is on board with this idea, considering East Cleveland has the most to gain from this, and Cleveland has a lot to lose. Imagine inheriting a place like East Cleveland? That certainly wouldn't raise the value of a city at all.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 11:43 AM

189 posts, read 379,891 times
Unless East Cleveland is part of a package deal that includes all of the other inner-ring suburbs, I fail to see why Cleveland would want them.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:03 PM

281 posts, read 342,009 times
But don't you think that, whatever area Cleveland annexed, people would just flee from that area, too?

Old 12-21-2011, 08:21 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,199,079 times
I actually think that Cuyahoga County, with the creation of the regional commissioner set up a few years ago, has taken the first step towards Cleveland, in essence, incorporating the entire county, making a city of around 1.2M people... I didn't always agree with county govt, but at this point in time, I think it makes sense for the region.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:52 PM

364 posts, read 665,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I actually think that Cuyahoga County, with the creation of the regional commissioner set up a few years ago, has taken the first step towards Cleveland, in essence, incorporating the entire county, making a city of around 1.2M people... I didn't always agree with county govt, but at this point in time, I think it makes sense for the region.
I can't see that going smoothly. People in places like Rocky River or Beachwood would fight that tooth and nail.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:32 PM

4,058 posts, read 6,793,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahl_Wrighter View Post
I can't see that going smoothly. People in places like Rocky River or Beachwood would fight that tooth and nail.
Not to mention people in places like Westlake, Strongsville, or Solon.

Sorry... I don't see it happening. Not in my lifetime, at least.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:20 AM

3,994 posts, read 4,334,728 times
Westlake, Strongsville, and Solon are currently fighting a losing battle with places like Avon, Medina, and Twinsburg. You would need to provide them with irrefutable evidence that this consolidation would help them in that battle, and I'm not sure that evidence is out there.

The schools, at least, will not be touched. Clevelanders don't put up with their schools being messed with, as we saw in the late 70s with busing.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:36 PM

4,822 posts, read 4,495,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahl_Wrighter View Post
Hell, the suburbs don't want the Red Line extensions. Berea balked as did North Olmsted for access to Great Northern. Strongsville doesn't want it. All the Cleveland riff-raff will come into these communities and commit crime. Other places such as Annapolis MD doesn't want Baltimore's city rail extension either.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:18 PM

364 posts, read 665,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Hell, the suburbs don't want the Red Line extensions. Berea balked as did North Olmsted for access to Great Northern. Strongsville doesn't want it. All the Cleveland riff-raff will come into these communities and commit crime. Other places such as Annapolis MD doesn't want Baltimore's city rail extension either.
This tends to go on in a lot of cities unfortunately. Cinci experienced this about a decade ago with the MetroMoves project and Atlanta is currently going through this with their attempts to expand MARTA.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:26 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,799,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
That sounds like bull. Many US cities (and all of Europe) have extensive rail networks, most of which service lots of poor neighborhoods. Can you name a single city that has suffered this problem?

Commuter rail is generally less frequent than the subway and has a higher fare, which would deter the poor from riding it "just for the hell of it." Though I think having a regular rapid line through western Lakewood makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland