U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 08:18 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,554,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euclidbuck View Post
There are similarities, but Chicago strikes me as very Irish/Polish orientated as far as its European culture while Cleveland is more split amongst its sides.

...the Westside has alot more Poles and Irish, much like Chicago..

..While the eastside has a more Jewish, Italian vibe, more like NYC and the east

Its what makes Cleveland unique and nothing like Chicago.

We have that Midwest/East Coast combo that is divided at the Cuyahoga river.
Oh yes, I just created a thread about this topic. I truly think that downtown is the dividing point between east and west. I don't mean to copy what you are saying here, but I am seeing exactly what you are trying to say. NE Ohio is a good dividing point between NE and Midwest. The different groups of people make that blend pretty apparent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 12:40 AM

3,980 posts, read 4,219,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Cincinnati's building the streetcar.
Good luck with that... I wish them well, but this is Ohio ...

Old 05-29-2012, 02:04 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,703,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Good luck with that... I wish them well, but this is Ohio ...
They should have finished the development of the subway system they started back in the day ...

Old 05-29-2012, 10:56 PM

5,916 posts, read 12,291,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euclidbuck View Post
There are similarities, but Chicago strikes me as very Irish/Polish orientated as far as its European culture while Cleveland is more split amongst its sides.

...the Westside has alot more Poles and Irish, much like Chicago..

..While the eastside has a more Jewish, Italian vibe, more like NYC and the east

Its what makes Cleveland unique and nothing like Chicago.

We have that Midwest/East Coast combo that is divided at the Cuyahoga river.
I agree. Chicago is very entrenched in the Irish and Polish heritage. The roots of Chicago's corruption (but also its effectiveness in getting revitalization done) is found within the Irish heritage in that city.

Cleveland gets into that transition zone between midwest and east coast.

On top of the fact, that the ethnic makeup of the east side is a bit more east coast like in its ethnic makeup (IE: More Italian and Jewish), you also have the Western Reserve/Connecticut feel in the further out suburbs like Chagrin Falls.

I will say however, that I really think Cleveland Heights-University Heights looks and feels a lot like Oak Park-River Forest right outside Chicago.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:15 AM

^Good catch, Tex... I'd even go a step father: to me Lakewood, with it's lakeshore property, artsy/liberal mentality, large old homes (many wood-frame), numerous old apt buildings and exciting/dense walkable downtown (surrounded by a number of high-rises), is a dead-ringer for Evanston... with the differences being the absence of a Northwestern University-type college and Evanston's lack of a Gold Coast-type area (these, of course, are further south inside Chicago)... and, of course, Evanston's outstanding transit service (with both the Purple Line L and Metra commuter rail).... Lakewood could and should have such quality transit service (it's not horrible as it is, but could be better), ... if RTA could get it's act together...meanwhile Lakewood will have to settle with its 24-hour Detroit Road buses into the West Blvd Red Line station.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:32 PM

4,058 posts, read 6,805,199 times
Quote:
^Good catch, Tex... I'd even go a step father: to me Lakewood, with it's lakeshore property, artsy/liberal mentality, large old homes (many wood-frame), numerous old apt buildings and exciting/dense walkable downtown (surrounded by a number of high-rises), is a dead-ringer for Evanston... with the differences being the absence of a Northwestern University-type college and Evanston's lack of a Gold Coast-type area (these, of course, are further south inside Chicago)... and, of course, Evanston's outstanding transit service (with both the Purple Line L and Metra commuter rail).... Lakewood could and should have such quality transit service (it's not horrible as it is, but could be better), ... if RTA could get it's act together...meanwhile Lakewood will have to settle with its 24-hour Detroit Road buses into the West Blvd Red Line station.
I was going to do the Lakewood/Evanston comparison, but you beat me to it. I do think Lakewood is a lot like Evanston, only without the college. Also, although both suburbs are very diverse economically, I perceive Evanston as somewhat more affluent and upscale than Lakewood overall. Evanston has its residential highrises right in the downtown area as opposed to a "Gold Coast" along the lake like Lakewood does. And last but not least, one crucial difference between the two is that Evanston's lakefront is mostly public parkland, while Lakewood's is mostly private property (except for Lakewood Park, of course).

Old 05-31-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I was going to do the Lakewood/Evanston comparison, but you beat me to it. I do think Lakewood is a lot like Evanston, only without the college. Also, although both suburbs are very diverse economically, I perceive Evanston as somewhat more affluent and upscale than Lakewood overall. Evanston has its residential highrises right in the downtown area as opposed to a "Gold Coast" along the lake like Lakewood does. And last but not least, one crucial difference between the two is that Evanston's lakefront is mostly public parkland, while Lakewood's is mostly private property (except for Lakewood Park, of course).
Agreed. Evanston, as far as I know, has no working class/poor area like Birdtown or some of the surrounding areas in SE Lakewood; but if you take those out of Lakewood, the socio-economic levels of the 2 towns is pretty equal as far as I can see... Yes, downtown Evanston is considerablly more urban than Lakewood with a see of highrises. Much of that is due to the aforementioned transit station, which is served by Metra and the CTA L; tons of TOD around this area.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:46 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,955,681 times
Quote:
Agreed. Evanston, as far as I know, has no working class/poor area like Birdtown or some of the surrounding areas in SE Lakewood; but if you take those out of Lakewood, the socio-economic levels of the 2 towns is pretty equal as far as I can see... Yes, downtown Evanston is considerablly more urban than Lakewood with a see of highrises. Much of that is due to the aforementioned transit station, which is served by Metra and the CTA L; tons of TOD around this area.
Evanston actually has its own black "ghetto" areas that are worse than anywhere in Lakewood.

Overall I would say that Lakewood has a more blue collar vibe despite having a good deal of professionals, while Evanston is more polarized. The college factor is of course a big difference between the two. Lakewood also has a good sized bar scene while Evanston basically has no nightlife.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:50 PM

5,916 posts, read 12,291,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Evanston actually has its own black "ghetto" areas that are worse than anywhere in Lakewood.

Overall I would say that Lakewood has a more blue collar vibe despite having a good deal of professionals, while Evanston is more polarized. The college factor is of course a big difference between the two. Lakewood also has a good sized bar scene while Evanston basically has no nightlife.
Really?? You don't think downtown Evanston has any nightlife?

Old 05-31-2012, 08:57 PM

4,058 posts, read 6,805,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Yes, and Evanston has a considerably higher crime rate than Lakewood as well. I myself have compared stats for the two cities right here on City Data.

Good point about the difference in bar scenes, BTW. I would have brought that one up in my previous post, but it slipped my mind at the time.

Lakewood does come across as more "funky" and countercultural than Evanston. Evanston has been characterized as an "old ladies' town". I think Lakewood might've been somewhat more like that once upon a time, but is quite different today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland